Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think this would grade if it wasn’t scratched?

air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased this several years ago at show because I liked the story and the coin was beautiful in person. Plus my wife liked it also. It has the one scratch in the right obverse field which doesn’t appear too deep. Normally I wouldn’t purchase a scratched coin, I think without the scratch it might grade 63-63+ Probably not a smart move buying a details coin but the luster and strike looked really good. I paid 62 money for it. Gold was 1700$/oz at the time.
Curious to your input on our purchase?

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 4:11AM

I don't really see a scratch...Heavy localized contact marks yes.
    Here is a scratch that I'd proudly own if I could.

MS64 Hansen

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first obverse picture shows a number of scratches in front of Liberty’s face and a long one in the right obverse field, behind her head. Which ones are on the coin, not the holder?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same questions as Mark....Are any of those on the slab? Will make a difference as to grade...Cheers, RickO

• Options

The long scratch runs in the right side obverse from 2-4 o’clock position. I believe that is the only scratch that I noticed and the dealer noticed. The scratches to left of Liberty’s face are in the plastic. The pics are from my old phone back at that time. The coin is in the SDB so I can’t verify.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, that is a nice coin even with the scratch.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@air4mdc said:
    The long scratch runs in the right side obverse from 2-4 o’clock position. I believe that is the only scratch that I noticed and the dealer noticed. The scratches to left of Liberty’s face are in the plastic. The pics are from my old phone back at that time. The coin is in the SDB so I can’t verify.

In that case, without the scratch, the coin looks approximately MS63 to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@SaorAlba said:

My wife and I said the same thing when we had it in hand. The scratch didn’t matter compared to the beauty. There was a dealer that seen it after we purchased it and he believed it to be a 64 without the scratch. In my mind, I like to think it would be a 64+ or 65 if the scratch wasn’t there. Thanks for looking.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I don't really see a scratch...Heavy localized contact marks yes.
    Here is a scratch that I'd proudly own if I could.

MS64 Hansen
    I’m with you on this one. I wonder how that coin grades with a scratch and mine doesn’t grade? I have seen other scratched coins grade as well.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's still a nice coin to me fwiw

• Options

@air4mdc said:

@SaorAlba said:

My wife and I said the same thing when we had it in hand. The scratch didn’t matter compared to the beauty. There was a dealer that seen it after we purchased it and he believed it to be a 64 without the scratch. In my mind, I like to think it would be a 64+ or 65 if the scratch wasn’t there. Thanks for looking.

Even without THE scratch, the marks on the face, in front of the face and scattered about the right obverse field should disqualify the coin from a grade of 65, 64+ and possibly/probably even 64, in my opinion. Others may disagree.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a 64, without THE scratch.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@air4mdc said:

@SaorAlba said:

Even without THE scratch, the marks on the face, in front of the face and scattered about the right obverse field should disqualify the coin from a grade of 65, 64+ and possibly/probably even 64, in my opinion. Others may disagree.

I thought the same thing. She has a little "acne" problem that would hold up a higher grade.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@air4mdc said:

@SaorAlba said:

I will try to get the coin this weekend from the SDB and take a digital picture. It’s been so long since I seen the coin I can’t remember if it had other minor scratches or not. From these pics I do see some sort of acne on the cheek. I wonder if that was from the conservation of the coin? Thanks again for looking.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the minimum, a 65.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 64 to me w/out the scratch.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    That's still a nice coin to me fwiw

Ms65

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 w/o the scratch

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. They’re all MS70s with problems, even in fancy holders with gold foil labels. It is nice, but I can’t see it without also seeing the scratch.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I dunno. They’re all MS70s with problems, even in fancy holders with gold foil labels. It is nice, but I can’t see it without also seeing the scratch.

I know it has a scratch but I don’t see where it would be a “ problem coin?” According to Q.David Bowers almost all pre 1934 silver( many in TPG holders) has been dipped. Would that make all of them problem coins? I’m just being inquisitive. I will try to post a better picture of the scratch.
    It’s too bad for the coin, without the scratch it’s a big money coin.
    Appreciate your thoughts on the coin.

• Options

@air4mdc said:

@BryceM said:

I know it has a scratch but I don’t see where it would be a “ problem coin?” According to Q.David Bowers almost all pre 1934 silver( many in TPG holders) has been dipped. Would that make all of them problem coins? I’m just being inquisitive. I will try to post a better picture of the scratch.

Many/most coins which have been dipped are considered market acceptable and are awarded straight grades. However, at a certain point, a coin can be considered to be over-dipped and will receive a details-grade, instead.
    The same goes for coins which have been cleaned by other means - the decision whether to award a straight or details grade is based on the degree of cleaning.

Likewise, many/most coins with flaws such as scratches, are awarded straight grades. But at a certain point, the scratches are considered to be too severe/conspicuous to award a straight grade. Your coin looks to easily fall into that category. And that’s regardless of what grade it might have received or what it might have been worth without the scratch. I’m not dissing the coin, but rather, trying to address your question (even though you didn’t ask me).
    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions

*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my own personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@air4mdc said:

@BryceM said:

Many/most coins which have been dipped are considered market acceptable and are awarded straight grades. However, at a certain point, a coin can be considered to be over-dipped and will receive a details-grade, instead.
    The same goes for coins which have been cleaned by other means - the decision whether to award a straight or details grade is based on the degree of cleaning.

Likewise, many/most coins with flaws such as scratches, are awarded straight grades. But at a certain point, the scratches are considered to be too severe/conspicuous to award a straight grade. Your coin looks to easily fall into that category. And that’s regardless of what grade it might have received or what it might have been worth without the scratch. I’m not dissing the coin, but rather, trying to address your question (even though you didn’t ask me).
    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions

*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my own personal opinions.

I really appreciate your viewpoint and comments. I’m not real familiar with this area so a little knowledge doesn’t hurt. Especially from experienced folks. I agree that the scratch is a detractor due to its size, but the beauty of the coin was what drew us to it. And we liked the story behind it. And....the price was right for such a nice looking gold Liberty. Glad you jumped in. Thanks again.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 5:09AM

Alas, it's from one of my favorite modern day finds. A great story. Probably scratched by a can of beans. Maybe it was in the first can the finder kicked.

So barring the issues , I'd say MS-66.
    Too bad they ( saddle ridge hoard) all needed restoration service. What a cool hoard, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file