Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stacks auction Wiener Cathedral medals 4/22

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not win on a few Wiener medals I needed for my collection so I pulled the trigger on these instead....

Received this morning via FedEx Friday's shipment.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking set with original box!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just love the amazing 3D effect to be found on those medals.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that set.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Now I know at least one person that's running the price up on these.
    Apparently you aren't the only one. Prices have been surprising me lately.
    I only need one medal to complete my 59mm set in 65-67ish.
    I was blown out of the water in that sale. I wish I had that one to do over again.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice sets.... The Wiener medals always have impressed me... such detail and the 3D effect is incredible....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

These medals have really gained in popularity lately. A lot of collectors actively seeking to build a set

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to obtain ONE, but the prices I have seen...I'll have to enjoy other postings.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I posted 12 from the 59mm series on my site the day after this auction, and those---for the most part---quickly vanished. Though they are certainly obtainable in AU-ish grades and with dullness/scuffs/rim bruises, the choice and gem material is hotly contested right now and has been bringing very strong prices.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations and thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Those are spectacular medal sets. Congratulations! To acquire a complete set of this architecture medals set in good condition is quite a difficult and costly task.

• Options

@Flatwoods said:
    Very nice. Now I know at least one person that's running the price up on these.
    Apparently you aren't the only one. Prices have been surprising me lately.
    I only need one medal to complete my 59mm set in 65-67ish.
    I was blown out of the water in that sale. I wish I had that one to do over again.

Which one are you missing (if you still haven't obtained it yet)? In terms of TPGed medals of type set, I'm aware of only one SP66. Do you own any professionally graded a 77? I have a friend who recently completed acquiring a set and will be sending in many to be graded and slabbed.

• Options

@Flatwoods

ooooops......obviously not 77 but rather 67 graded.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmissinglink said:
    @Flatwoods

ooooops......obviously not 77 but rather 67 graded.

Sorry for the delay.
    I just noticed this.
    I don't own any cathedral medals that have been graded by a third party.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file