Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The "what if" function for registry sets

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question that I have is how is the Cost figure calculated when using the "What If" feature on my Kennedy registry set?

When I use this function, I get the PCGS current price for that particular upgraded coin(s) as shown below:

1990-P from MS65 to MS66 New Value Price $23.00

1971 from MS65 to MS66 New Value Price $85.00

1974-D DDO FS-101from MS65 to MS65+ New Value Price $200.00

which when added together equals a value of: $308.00

yet the "What if" table shows the cost at: $355.00

Why the discrepancy? Sometimes this table amount is higher than the listed value and sometimes lower. :o

I would appreciate any guidance on this even thou it is a small issue but I do like to know how things work.

Thanks in advance -Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe there are other issues, but the "what if" net price assumes you sell the ones you had that are are now being replaced by upgrading for the price listed for them. Is it possible some of the ones being replaced have a higher value due to PL or DM or something like that sometimes? That way it could go up or down depending?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Maybe there are other issues, but the "what if" net price assumes you sell the ones you had that are are now being replaced by upgrading for the price listed for them. Is it possible some of the ones being replaced have a higher value due to PL or DM or something like that sometimes? That way it could go up or down depending?

your response has given me a lot of understanding. thank you
    still when I add up the PCGS values of the coins that "are assumed to be sold" they add up to $205.00 and the new value is at $308.00 which leaves only a difference in increased "value" of $103.00 and not $355.00 as shown in the what if column. there are no PL or DM attributes involved with these coins. Hopefully someone else can give us more insight. ;)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I thank you all for your insight and how this option is supposed to work
    Yesterday ,I ran my what if option for the same 3 coin upgrades in 3 different of my sets.
    they still showed an increase of $355.00 and not $103.00. Today I re-ran the same sets with the same coins.
    The very first set that I did this to showed an increase of $1209.00 and rank of like a 109. My set before using the what if option is #4 :o I had to enter these coins by changing pages with the show 25 items. I then refreshed the page and choose the 100 items per page option and everything was perfect at $103.00. I followed up with the other 2 sets and they came back with the correct price of $103.00. I think (but this is only a guess) that there might be a hidden glitch in the " show items per page" options. also if you do select the wrong coin say a P graded coin instead of D one then change it back to the original grade and then upgrade the correct date, that the algorithm might hold info( in the cache) from the wrong selected coin grade and not clear this information. I tried this just now but the right increase was listed. I also closed out my sets and then reopened them and again the correct increase was listed. Oh well!
    Again thanks for enlightening me.
    May all your searches bring you that special find-Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...