Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Acetone dip event...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1967 Canadian Dollar. This coin has a toning I'm not pleased with. So, I decided to "Dip" it! Only problem is that I'm a novice in this. Last time I tried this I destroyed a Jefferson nickel. Lol. Luckily, the nickel was insignificant. Just bought a new can of Acetone. Should I just place the Dollar in a glass jar with a small amount of Acetone and let sit for awhile? Thanks guy's!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it removes toning but it does remove glue as I finally had a successful event myself. I'll post pics later once my son gets off my phone :*

• Options

What should I do to make sure I don't destroy this coin? I know, no q-tip and no rubbing, right? Should I let soak for an hour or sooner, longer? Thanks

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put in in a glass jar with enough acetone to cover the coin.
    Try a short soak for maybe 10 minutes to see how it looks.
    You can always put is back for a longer soak if desired.
    Good luck !

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

I never dip more than a few minutes max. Even a few seconds can destroy a coin but if its not a big deal then its not a big deal, right. Honestly, if a coin has any significant value and has a nice luster the only thing I'm dipping it in is a flip.
    Now, if its a beautiful coin but has a spot rendering it worthless well, let it soak.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might suggest buying a bottle of MS70. It doesn't affect toning (unless it's AT), and get's rid of dirt/verdigris/haze/etc. I'd still use acetone for PVC and similar surface contaminants. MS70 also doesn't strip metal from the coin. MS70 is basically a concentrated detergent. It's not a "dip" in the traditional sense.

• Options

Ok, guy's. Thanks. Here I GO. Show you later.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a doctor in the house???

;)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

After, should I NOT rinse w/water? or rinse w/water? Pat dry or NOT? :*

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rinse with distilled water if you have it.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

When using acetone i keep it in a pyrex glass jar with a lid. Make sure to keep it in a well ventilated area with no sparks or flames around as it can combust easily. For circulated coins, I regularly use a q-tip to remove gunk or to softly remove PVC or something similar. Practice makes perfect...

Sometimes I leave coins for a few hours in acetone, sometimes for a few days depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. Using real acetone (NEVER use nailpolish remover) will not affect the surfaces of a coin. i've left silver coins in acetone for weeks before with no negative effects, by accident. Acetone could have an affect on the look of a coin depending on what it removes...if it removes glue/paint/rubber bands it could leave uneven toning since the surfaces were covered by the organic material for an extended period of time.

I normally rinse the coins after I dip them. I normally use distilled water (gallon jugs you can get for a $1 at the grocery store) to make sure there is no organic residue leftover but I have also run coins under luke warm water with no issues either.

I don't think your coin will be improved at all by using acetone, you will need to use a dip like "e-z-est" or something similar to alter the toning. It takes practice to correctly use dip and to figure out how to properly rinse a dipped coin.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 8:02PM

Here is after 6 minutes dipped. No rinse. No patting dry. It looks worse! :#

HERE IS THE BEFORE PICS

• Options

Round 2; I'm placing back in the Acetone, maybe for a tad longer than 6 min. Here we GO... :/

• Options

Here are some BU coins I recently found roll hunting. They look really nice until you turn up the magnification and realize they all have fatal flaws and not worth grading. Most of the reverses had glue and after a few minutes acetone removed it.

Before

Before

After - And unfortunately a large date but, is the floating roof worth something, I don't know...

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 8:41PM

Cool! Thanks. Acetone doesn't remove fingerprints, huh? :*

• Options

Personally I would rinse it.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 8:50PM

No soap and water, huh?
    When and what good is the Q-tip for?

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip a Q-tip in acetone and roll it over the coin. Proofs are tough though. Might use denatured alcohol as a soak instead of acetone. Coin has little value over silver so worth experimenting on.

Have fun with it. Report results s, good or bad.

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    Dip a Q-tip in acetone and roll it over the coin. Proofs are tough though. Might use denatured alcohol as a soak instead of acetone. Coin has little value over silver so worth experimenting on.

Have fun with it. Report results s, good or bad.

Yes, it's true about the value. I only paid $12. It's worth the practice! Lol. Thanks

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 9:29PM

Here's the results after 2nd attempt. This time water rinse. Pat dry. and 45 min. in Acetone! BETTER RESULTS! B)

• Options

I think this time I'll let soak for a few hours? Maybe, overnight? Thank you, guy's

• Options

There is another recent thread where someone let it soak for a real long time and it turned pinkish. I'd take baby steps if you haven't done it before.

• Options

thanks!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

That patterned surface around the goose, could it be from cloth contact or a couple of overlapping latent prints? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Cool! Thanks. Acetone doesn't remove fingerprints, huh? :*

Maybe, if it soaked longer IDK.
    Also, I'd be careful about patting dry. At least on high luster business strikes, you always here these guys talk about breaks in the luster. So much so that I don't even agree with the packaging to ship coins. Think about it, 10 or so coins only separated by thin plastic tightly bound with a rubber-band bouncing around in and out of planes, trains, and automobiles for a week :)
    I'm gonna insulate each coin on my next order.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like it needs an EZest bath.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone only removes organic residues... so what ever is there, is likely not organic....You may need to go to something stronger like Ezest or MS70...The Q-tip should not be used to rub, only roll without any scrubbing..it helps to loosen residues....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    That patterned surface around the goose, could it be from cloth contact or a couple of overlapping latent prints?

Yeah, I did notice that "cloth-like appearance!" Those cloth patterns. Esp. near the goose. What's up with that? :*

• Options

Hi guy's, been reading and studying with my wife. First things first. Esp. today (Sunday). OK.
    Getting back to my problem with my coin. Yeah, I decided to take many of you guy's suggestions. I will take baby steps on this instead of hurrying it up and destroying another coin. Lol. Yes, I will try to look for that solution called, "ez-zest". I do have some "Zest" in my bathroom I use for when I shower? Would that work? Lol. :D Just kidding! Lol.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another low cost/low risk approach in the event it is not organic residue and is oxidation:

1:1 dilution with household ammonia with light "tamping" of the surface with cotton Q tip repeated several times over a few minutes, followed by a mild detergent and water application,
    and then water and then a "tamp" dry with high nap white cotton towel. This will not eat into the surface, is cheap, and no irreversible changes. BTW, often works well with copper nickel coins that do not respond to acidic or EZest treatments...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've soaked coins in Great Collections for several weeks and after the auction closed, everything was gone.

:p

• Options

Just thought of this, I notice the word, "tone" is actually in the word, Acetone? :*

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rut-Roh...

Looks as if Elizabeth and the goose are now on life support... And One step away from the point of no return.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2020 12:00PM

Lol Soon to place in my pile of trying to Acetone coins, huh? Lol Oh well? A beauty huh?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... You could always invest in a small gold/silver melting kiln to repurpose the silver. I suspect no one will miss one 1967 Canadian Dollar... What could go wrong?

Just kidding... Sorry that the effort did not go as planned.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

No, I agree with you! Lol :D

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still worth melt, worth a try.

Vplite99
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2020 6:41PM

Here's my next experiment coin.

JUST KIDDING! NO WAY, I'll Risk it.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really need to be careful if you don't understand the basic chemistry of the materials you're using and the material you want to remove. Acetone and xylene are very different from ez-est is different from MS70 is different from Verdi-care. In addition, toning is different from PVC plasticizer residue is different from organic build up is different from fingerprints, is different from copper spots.

As others have said, acetone doesn't affect toning. You need to chose the right tool for the right job.

And BTW: make sure you know what you're doing when you handle chemicals.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file