Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Buy! Two angles...

Hi guy's. Yesterday, I picked two coins. One of them was my cherry pick of the decade! and the other, is this one, the 1967 Canadian Dollar. I took two photo's of each angle. One, a PL angle and the other angle, brings a beautiful toning out! Which one do you guy's prefer? Thanks :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the PL angle because I like contrast.

I remember well the summer of '67. Our family went on a fishing trip to western Ontario - the boondocks for sure.
    But my dad found a coin store on the way home and I was able to pickup a 1967 Centennial set. Without the gold of course. Not so much that I couldn't afford the gold, but US customs did not allow gold coins across the border at that time.

Funny side note. Our neighbors also participated in the fishing trip but drove separately. We wondered why they were so late getting to the hotel in Duluth, MN the first night. Turns out the neighbor Charlie was a jokester. When asked by the customs agent whether they were bringing in any gold, he jokingly replied "a pound or so". Well, customs didn't see the humor and tore his car apart looking for it. I can only imagine what his wife said to him while waiting for hours.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 2:35PM

@Cameonut said:

I remember well the summer of '67. Our family went on a fishing trip to western Ontario - the boondocks for sure.
    But my dad found a coin store on the way home and I was able to pickup a 1967 Centennial set. Without the gold of course. Not so much that I couldn't afford the gold, but US customs did not allow gold coins across the border at that time.

Funny side note. Our neighbors also participated in the fishing trip but drove separately. We wondered why they were so late getting to the hotel in Duluth, MN the first night. Turns out the neighbor Charlie was a jokester. When asked by the customs agent whether they were bringing in any gold, he jokingly replied "a pound or so". Well, customs didn't see the humor and tore his car apart looking for it. I can only imagine what his wife said to him while waiting for hours.

Amusing story. :D Wonder why it was forbidden to transport Gold? Imagine Gold prices back then? Probably only $50-$60 per ounce?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold bullion ownership was illegal in the US from 1933-1974.

• Options

@Cameonut said:

Amusing story. :D Wonder why it was forbidden to transport Gold?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goes back to 1933 - when our goobermint banned ownership of gold and confiscated it from citizens. FDR issued an executive order. That order was not lifted until Gerald Ford issued an executive order in 1974.

Can it happen again?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Cameonut said:

Amusing story. :D Wonder why it was forbidden to transport Gold? Imagine Gold prices back then? Probably only $50-$60 per ounce?

$35/ounce, at the official rate, set by fdr in 1933 when he confiscated everyone's gold. He was good friends with stalin, i wonder why?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

Don't tell anyone but I brought back a set including the gold. I still have it.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

@Cameonut said:

Don't tell anyone but I brought back a set including the gold. I still have it.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

if anyone interested, I'm going to dip it! Lol :o

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second obverse...but neither reverse...Yes, it looks like a dip is warranted....be careful and rinse well. Cheers, RickO