Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a coin that got away and you can't stop thinking about....

This may seem like an odd one for me. It got away because I had a floor bidder and he stopped where I instructed him to!

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

1778/9 8 Escudos MS64 ex. Norweb

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of them... :D

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Is it wrong/too OCD to want to pick out the reverse crud on the (otherwise fairly decent) 1778NR 8E?

• Options

Seriously, this one. I have the other gold medal from Guatemala, but missed this mule. It was a difficult bidding war and poverty lost...

• Options

Im just waiting for some new post to say "Hey I bought that coin and would be happy to sell", ideally the owner of that 8E!

• Options

If the dude that took that medal shows up, I will be happy to talk business.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins of ancient Syracuse are a little side passion of mine and I let this one slip from my clutches

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins that I most regret having slipped away are things that I bought and later sold.

I can't even think of anything that I regret not buying when I had the opportunity. I suppose there must be some, but they obviously don't haunt me.

Although I can certainly think of some things that I would have loved to have bought if they had sold at more reasonable levels.

And there are other things that I wish I had bought and kept, just because they're worth a lot more now, but I don't regret those deals.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka that is an amazing coin. Likely more expensive than my house :(

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Here's one I would have loved to buy for my CAR collection if it had sold a little cheaper. And believe me, I tried to talk myself into stretching further than I did.

I would be kicking myself forever for not stretching for that one!

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 1:33PM

Here’s another.

Only XF40, but I’ve never seen another, before nor since. I spread myself too thin in that auction. And I let myself get distracted by another bidder.

• Options

I too regret selling some great coins from my collection, always to fund purchases of other great coins though. My financials recovered quite quickly so I really should have just kept them in the first place.

• Options

No one person, no matter how wealthy s/he may be can afford it all. So there’s no shame in selling (duplicates, lesser coins, non-core coins) to fund other (core or better) coins.

Most of my regrets are for coins I didn’t make the extra stretch for or that I didn’t personally bid on and lost.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

Coins of ancient Syracuse are a little side passion of mine and I let this one slip from my clutches

A great side passion - these tetradrachms of Agathokles are some of the most aesthetic ancient coins in my eyes. Here's my example:

As for ones that got away, this coin of Caligula's Three Sisters happily went to a friend of mine but stung when I couldn't end up buying it. Hopefully he'll eventually sell and I'll get another crack at it:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one? Lol

There are coins I should have stretched to obtain at auction and others that I should bought on the bourse floor but at the time just did not appreciate them for what they are.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin, @SmEagle1795 !

And the one that @MrEureka posted is stunning.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.