Home U.S. Coin Forum

Victor David Brenner & His Lincoln Cent

Lincoln Cent collectors new and seasoned alike know the initials VDB. For many, the “VDB” initials are an important if faceless feature on the Lincoln cent. But there is a face behind the “VDB,” and the man to whom those letters belong is none other than Victor David Brenner, a celebrated medalist and sculptor who was born in Lithuania 1871 as Avigdor David Brenner and immigrated to the United States in 1890.

Follow the link below to learn more about the artist behind the coin:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/victor-david-brenner-and-his-lincoln-cent

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Tagged:

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

A classic coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and nice story.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an attractive Lincoln cent!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love Victor D. Brenner's work as a medalist. Here is my favorite, an early piece from the 1890s.

Under a loupe these little players are quite high relief. They look like they're killing each other in the mud!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

To this day, I've never understood what the "big deal" was about Brenners initials.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice still to this day

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.... always good to have details of historical issues surrounding our coins....Cheers, RickO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2020 11:25AM

To this day, I've never understood what the "big deal" was about Brenners initials.

From the article:

As many numismatists know, one does not need a magnifying glass to see the “VDB” initials on the Lincoln Cent. They are clearly evident at the base by the bottom center of the reverse rim. And the prominence of this feature has only helped secure the popularity of this type, which ultimately lasted only a couple weeks in production before the initials were pulled. While plans were publicized to recognize Brenner on the coin with a simple and inconspicuous “B,” Assistant Secretary of the Treasury C.D. Norton saw a logistics issue with this, stating that while adding a “B” to the coin somewhere would be an easy process, removing the intaglio “VDB” inscription from the master hub could take at least two weeks. The most efficient solution would be to simply erase the “VDB” initials without inscribing a “B” elsewhere on the coin.

Maybe the move was efficiency at work, or perhaps heated internal politics were gaining the upper hand. This could be reasonably concluded as then-Chief Engraver** Charles E. Barber**, whose name is also represented as a single “B” on his coinage, did not want the public to think he had a hand in creating the Lincoln Cent, a coin he personally disliked.

I think the vainglorious Barber was most instrumental in getting Brenner's initials removed. After all, Barber only had a "B" on coins he designed. Three initials for Brenner in Barber's universe? Out of the question.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that Barber had a hand in getting rid of the initials, and he more than likely relished doing it.

What I am referring to is the "negative" public reaction to the new Cent with the V.D.B. I guess it was a different time, with different views on things.

Anyway, it seems real petty to me. Those initials IMHOP shouldn't have riled the public at all.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file