Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is excited for the NFL draft on Thursday - Saturday? Who do you want your team to pick?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2020 5:29AM in Sports Talk

As a Redskins Fan. I think Chase Young is a clear and obvious pick at #2. That's been solid in mock drafts for months. I worry though about those "sure bets". It always seems like when the Redskins pick a supposed sure thing, they disappoint: Lavar Arrington (#2), Michael Westbrook (#3), Heath Shuler (#3), RG3 (#2), etc.

I really like that Isaiah Simmons guy. He looks like a beast. At 240 pounds and 4.39 speed, he's a freak. I wonder if the NYGIants will pick him. He wont last long.

I guess the big question is how far will Tua fall.

Also with the lack of any sports for the past month, I bet this draft might be the most viewed in history, since so many people are starved for any sort of sports drama.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings fan here.

We have two lower 1st round picks #22 and #25. Then we have three more picks in the top 105.

The Vikes have been trying to fix the O-Line for several years. Pass blocking must improve. They also lost most of their Cornerbacks, so that is a need as well. They are also thin at WR, but if you can't protect the QB, no big deal.

They are maxed out at the salary cap, so they are going to be depending on some new guys, either back ups or draftees to fill some spots.

Historically, from my research, teams get 2 solid starters on average from the draft each year. With the extra 1st rounder, I am hoping the Vikings can get at least 3, more would be fantastic. They had 3 picks in the top 29 in 2013 and only one (Xavier Rhodes) was a key starter.

Left Tackle Reif and Tight End Rudolph both make a lot of money. Reif is still good, but at 31 years old, they will need a replacement in the near future. Rudolph (30 yrs old) is a very good TE, but he's either going to have to become a MUCH bigger part of the offense, or I see it being his final year.

At this point, I hate the salary cap, the Vikings got good, but it's looking like they are already having to get rid of good players to stay under the cap. It happens to a lot of teams after winning the SB, but the Vikings didn't even get to the big game.

Kirk Cousins makes 30 million a year. I don't see paying a guy this much if you can't protect him if/when you get to the playoffs and face great teams.

This years draft will be a key factor in where the Vikings go in the next couple of years.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your analysis Vikings Fan. Kirk Cousins, hrumph. He was frustrating to me when he was in DC. An upper middle of the pack QB, who seemed to choke in the biggest games. Maybe he will do better for you guys eventually.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Carolina Panthers fan.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    I like your analysis Vikings Fan. Kirk Cousins, hrumph. He was frustrating to me when he was in DC. An upper middle of the pack QB, who seemed to choke in the biggest games. Maybe he will do better for you guys eventually.

Thanks for the kind words!

Well, Cousins certainly doesn't excite me either. The Vikings have just signed him to an extension, so he's going to be our guy for a while. I liked Keenum, and thought we could spend the money on other guys, but I do see the potential in Kirk.

He has a really nice arm, I still don't know if he chokes, or if the team he's on just isn't very good.

His biggest problem, as I see it, is he is not mobile at all, he can roll out a bit and make a nice throw, but he isn't good at avoiding the rush and making a great pass. To be fair, not many are.

The Vikings have gone to a "zone blocking" scheme with the offensive line, which seems to mean guys that are smaller and (hopefully) more athletic than the "bulldozer" type of guy. What I have seen is the guards and center getting pushed backwards on passing downs, so there's not much of a pocket for Cousins to "step up" into.

All I have been hearing is that there are no great guards in the draft. I hope the Vikings can find one. If Dalvin Cook gets hurt early or seriously, the offense could become a disaster. He has been hurt every year so far. We do have a nice backup RB, but Cook looks pretty special when he's on the field and healthy.

Go Vikings!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rams fan.

We have two seconds.

I expect Les Snead to turn them into one third.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pats do what I figured they would do and move right out of the first. Being a Pats fan the draft is one of the most underwhelming non fun football thing

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Pats do what I figured they would do and move right out of the first. Being a Pats fan the draft is one of the most underwhelming non fun football thing

Providing BB doesn't move the 37th pick,there shouldn't be too long a wait tonight with it being the 5th pick from the start of round two. He's also got four picks from #71-100.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giants need offensive line help. Really badly.

Allegedly, this kid from Georgia is NFL ready to play RT immediately and strong potential to play LT down the line...

Anyone confirm? I watch no college football at all.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

fantastic pick by dimeman's team......Lamb is a playmaker

the Boys are gonna be explosive on offense

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chase Young turned an already really good Skins D Line into possibly the best in the NFL. Young, Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, and Kerrigan are going to terrorize opposing QBs. They've gotta find some answers on offense though, or they're gonna lose a lot of 14-10 type games.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Well, Cousins certainly doesn't excite me either. The Vikings have just signed him to an extension, so he's going to be our guy for a while. I liked Keenum, and thought we could spend the money on other guys, but I do see the potential in Kirk.

He has a really nice arm, I still don't know if he chokes, or if the team he's on just isn't very good.

His biggest problem, as I see it, is he is not mobile at all, he can roll out a bit and make a nice throw, but he isn't good at avoiding the rush and making a great pass. To be fair, not many are.

The Vikings have gone to a "zone blocking" scheme with the offensive line, which seems to mean guys that are smaller and (hopefully) more athletic than the "bulldozer" type of guy. What I have seen is the guards and center getting pushed backwards on passing downs, so there's not much of a pocket for Cousins to "step up" into.

All I have been hearing is that there are no great guards in the draft. I hope the Vikings can find one. If Dalvin Cook gets hurt early or seriously, the offense could become a disaster. He has been hurt every year so far. We do have a nice backup RB, but Cook looks pretty special when he's on the field and healthy.

Go Vikings!

Listening to PA on KFAN this morning they said the same thing that I thought yesterday. Have enough draft picks to pick up Trent Williams and still have some left over. Sounds like so far they got the guys they wanted.

• Options

And there is a thing on CBS Sports:
    2005 - Brett Favre 35 years old - Packers select Aaron Rodgers 24th overall
    2020 - Aaron Rodgers 36 years old - Packers select Jordan Love 26th overall

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would gouge my eyes out before i watched the draft on tv , might as well give me a live stream of paint drying on a wall

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Bucs drafted this guy to protect Tom

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29090594

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Giants need offensive line help. Really badly.

Allegedly, this kid from Georgia is NFL ready to play RT immediately and strong potential to play LT down the line...

Anyone confirm? I watch no college football at all.

I was hoping the Vikings would find a way to get him. He looks GOOD!

Of course they all do on draft day.> @VikingDude said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Go Vikings!

Listening to PA on KFAN this morning they said the same thing that I thought yesterday. Have enough draft picks to pick up Trent Williams and still have some left over. Sounds like so far they got the guys they wanted.

Finding a way to get Williams would sure help. He has had a LOT of problems throughout his career and he is getting old, but he should be immediate help on the O line.

I am not overly excited about the guys they got, but taking await and see attitude about it.

We'll know more soon.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    fantastic pick by dimeman's team......Lamb is a playmaker

the Boys are gonna be explosive on offense

Totally agree, Lambchop is going to be a BEAST

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    i would gouge my eyes out before i watched the draft on tv , might as well give me a live stream of paint drying on a wall

Not a chance I watch any of it, that’s what my phone is for

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not a chance I watch any of it, that’s what my phone is for

I watched a little - but it was definitely missing the fan reactions to picks. The years in NY with the Jets fans' reactions some of the years was priceless.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Belichick got his second round Safety out of the way early lol, Kyle Dugger. Oh yeah he played Division II in college. :#