Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Proof Coin Question

I made my first 70 on a proof coin from 1975 and was wondering what's the oldest dated coin to receive a PR-70 designation? Just curious. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

That’s a very interesting question. 🤔

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flipping through the March/April Rare Coin Market Report, the earliest I saw was a 1960 Large Date Lincoln Cent, tied with a 1960 Roosevelt Dime, and a 1960 Washington Quarter

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is something I have never considered... though I do recall, back in the early days of grading, that many said there could be no 70's...no coin was perfect. Then they happened..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 6:36AM

@ricko said:
    That is something I have never considered... though I do recall, back in the early days of grading, that many said there could be no 70's...no coin was perfect. Then they happened..... ;) Cheers, RickO

I think of it as something like tossing a handful of coins into loose sand. Most of the coins end up at crazy angles or slightly askew. Of course you can't define "perfectly level" because every coin has aberrations in strike and "level" is a theoretical point (position) that doesn't really exist in the real world.

PR-70 is just defined as "perfect enough".

Some of those coins will have their axes pointing perfectly north, too. B)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking ..... I agree.... "perfect enough" fits the bill....Magnification, angles, strike, die condition, metal flow....bringing them all together is quite a feat....and 50X magnification is ridiculous....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file