Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nova Constellatio & stamped Fugio!

ShinyShoresShinyShores Posts: 5
edited April 21, 2020 12:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello all! I am new to this site so thanks for checking out my post. I dug these 2 coins in fields next to each other in Rhode Island. Im wondering if anyone can help me identify the federal eagle stamp which seems to be some sort of counterstamp or artisan design from something that can hopefully be traced down. I have not seen any other stamped fugio’s besides hearing of some with smaller counterstamps so hopefully this turns out to be something rare, and that we can figure out. Thanks!!

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, and...

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got some pics and welcome to the forums

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds very interesting - I can't wait to see them. ;)

Hopefully the federal eagle will turn out to be the type of punch used on early US military arms.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now_ that's_ a cool dig find!

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen one like that, but I like it!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds, I think you've got some nice coins there. Do not rub or scrub them! Soak them in distilled water to loosen the dirt. Pat the wet dirt off with qtips. No rubbing. C. 1787ish. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• @Namvet69 said:
    Nice finds, I think you've got some nice coins there. Do not rub or scrub them! Soak them in distilled water to loosen the dirt. Pat the wet dirt off with qtips. No rubbing. C. 1787ish. IMO. Peace Roy

Thanks for the reply! I dont want to put it in water for fear of chipping the corrosion parts more.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShinyShores....Welcome aboard....Interesting finds...I assume you were metal detecting....I have not heard of the eagle stamp on coins before... hopefully some of our experts will have some information....Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool dogs for sure. I dont know what the counter Mark's are but sti a way cool dig. Welcome to the forums

• @ricko said:
    @ShinyShores....Welcome aboard....Interesting finds...I assume you were metal detecting....I have not heard of the eagle stamp on coins before... hopefully some of our experts will have some information....Cheers, RickO

Hello and thanks for the welcome! Yes i was metal detecting a field near my house.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest you go back to that field... could be more treasures. There is also a metal detecting forum here where other MD'rs post... You should visit there too. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    I would suggest you go back to that field... could be more treasures. There is also a metal detecting forum here where other MD'rs post... You should visit there too. Cheers, RickO

Thank you i will check out the MD forum as well.
    And yes, i most certainly exhausted myself the days following the find scouring the field for any more finds. 👍

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, welcome to the forum!

• Im wanting to send these coins in to be slabbed to be protected. What are the thoughts on that for these coins? Thanks.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool finds!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file