Home Precious Metals
Options

Has anyone seen a 400 ounce "standard" gold bar sell?

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a bar of that size sold back in the 80's but I don't know if it was an official bar or a custom poured job.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• Options

I guess that answers that question.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 oz is the biggest I've seen. 400 is not in many people's budget. Fwiw

• Options

400 ounce is the standard bullion storage bar, like the 1,000 ounce silver, only a lot more money. I was really just wondering if they actually traded.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my customers has a couple of kilo 32.15 oz bars, but that's all I have seen

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no way I would buy a 400 oz gold bar like that without first having it tested or even assayed not that I could afford one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

A European multimillionaire who wants to hold $ 10 million in physical gold - what is the most popular form? Assume it is not an underworld character. I assume kilo bars are popular, but they’d need about 200 of them-quite a hoard.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bar that size is not even within the realm of consideration for me... That is something perhaps a very large bank or Fort Knox might have.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Saw one at ANA World Fair of Money show a few years ago. Displayed in plexi box with hole so you could touch it. Didn't ask price. At the time I thought what a petri dish of germs!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just 100 oz gold bars for me. Lots of kilo stuff.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mint deals in 400 oz

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

COMEX deals in 100 oz. promises, LBMA deals in 400 oz. promises. Current shortage of COMEX 100 oz. bars has resulted in them now offering contracts for the 400 ouncers provided by the LBMA to bail them out.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    COMEX deals in 100 oz. promises, LBMA deals in 400 oz. promises. Current shortage of COMEX 100 oz. bars has resulted in them now offering contracts for the 400 ouncers provided by the LBMA to bail them out.

Promises? What could go wrong? Sign me up. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.