Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

B+M shops,do they make your visit pleasant or not?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 17, 2020 11:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, Any coin shop nowadays, would be a bonus by them just being open. Right there is a pleasant feeling. We have to give them credit for taking chances by opening their doors. Anyway, does your B+M shop help you up to your standards? Or do they sometime get under your skin by acting rude or impatient in your lurking in their store? Sure, I get it, the owner has his/her right to act the way they please, it's their shop. My thread wants to see how far they will go to try to please you. I have two shops I frequent. One is my best friends shop but the other is truly my favorite B+M shop for many reasons. One reason I've just newly experienced yesterday! Disclaimer: Please don't post anything that might ruin your relationship with a dealer that might not take your criticism lightly.
Getting back to my fave shop. She is great. What a nice lady, not only in the business but an overall well mannered woman and entrepreneur. I posted this before about her. She always makes my visit pleasant. She not only puts up with my requests to see many items but she even allows me to help myself behind the counters. After going there for a few years now, she said something that not too many dealers would say or even be aware of. After purchasing some items yesterday, she told me, " Good Luck, hope you find something!" WoW! who sez that. This is the place where I found a Canadian Mint Set, having the Dime being a wire strike-through. Hope you guy's are having pleasant visits at your B + M shops. Good Luck :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options

@messydesk said:
    I just wish I had one I could frequent.

LoL.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Usually they are pretty nice and good to deal with.

Wish I could go to some. But they are all locked up right now.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear that your still working there. Is it a small shop with a web site just wondering

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a website, but it's just information, not an online store

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local shop ( 20 miles away ) closed about 5 years ago. I have not been to another shop since then.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a great shop in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. All American coin and Bullion. Alex and Tyler know coins and just as important know how to treat a customer.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say I've given up on them.
    I now do all my purchases on line.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    I must say I've given up on them.
    I now do all my purchases on line.

Too bad many feel this way. Hard to find or be a mentor online. I still love the social aspect of a B and M or coin show. I’m lucky to have a great local shop. To each his own

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last B&M experience was fantastic. Was on vacation and just happened to stroll by the storefront in town, popped in and had a great conversation with the proprietor. Walked out with a beautiful gold dollar type coin.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Skyland Coins in Bristol Va. is my go to shop. Dwayne and Robert are very friendly and
    Knowledgeable. Well stocked and fairly priced. In our area they are the "go to" shop whether
    your finishing off your Indian head cent collection, needing 100 of the current year ASE,
    or needing to sell some inherited sterling ware. Their jewelry section is second to none.
    Always fun to visit and look around.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread got me to thinking. The only time I've been in a coin shop in the last 45+ years was to help a dealer friend with his World Coins 6 or 8 years ago. My experience as a young collector in coin shops was horrible except for 1 time in Downtown Atlanta..pretty sure it was Ga Stamp + Coin. Problem was I couldn't get to it at my age.

Every Mall in the area had a coin shop...and all of them were greedy,rude ass hats, that wouldn't give the time of day to a young collector unless they could buy coins from me for less than 1/2 what they were worth...including bullion.

All my experience has been gathered from coin shows,clubs,etc.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coin shops here. However, when I lived in Seattle, there were some shops. One, in the city, was not pleasant... I went twice, and both times it seemed as if I was intruding on their day....and I did buy two coins on the first trip. Thought perhaps they were having a bad day. Second time, I just walked out after a surly response to a question. The other shops, and one in Renton, were always a pleasure to visit. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid I went to a few coin shops regularly. I can't remember any that weren't nice, especially considering that my budget was probably $20 or less. That was 30 years ago. Except for one blah experience I haven't been in one since. Other than pawn shops, antique stores, and a couple small lower priced raw coin / bullion stores, I don't know of a retail coin shop within 100 miles of Boston.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 6:09PM

None near me anymore, but when I lived on the other side of the state, I would frequent Robinsons Coins in Marietta, GA. Amwldcoin, Northlake Stamp & Coin was horrible back in the day...that may be the one you are thinking of. I found a few really nice Mercs in there once, but the owner/shop guy was a true douche.

imageimage

• Options

I feel your pain guy's. You know, I only mentioned about two B+M shops. Both I posted are very nice owners and they do make my visit pleasant. Believe me guy's, I too ran into some very "unpleasant" proprietors in the past. LoL. Even at some Shows. :/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite coin shops are the ones where you can chit chat with the owners about the hobby so there's more of a relationship than just the transaction.

I have a couple of shops like this. I also visit shops where it's more transactional and those shops aren't as memorable.

• Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

There are no coin shops where I live but a few a short plan ride away. I’ve only went to one and there were no other customers but the owner was very friendly and accommodating. I only bought a few things but would probably buy more if I go back. Wish I could participate in the bid board they had but I would not have been around when it ended so I couldn’t.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options

The two pleasant owners I mentioned in my OP, both offer to do layaways, At no interest. How about you guy's? Good business gesture, no?

• Options
    edited April 19, 2020 5:45AM

My most glaring experience was at Cumberland Mall. I know I was out of line but if my Dad had seen what happened that guy would be missing a few front teeth!

I don't remember how old I was...probably 11-13. The guy obviously didn't like kids in his shop. Well a guy comes in and offers him a handful of coins and he says he wasn't interested. I followed the guy out of the shop and told him I was interested. The guy comes flying out of his shop...and starts violently shaking me screaming he pays rent, etc. etc. Needless to say I never went back!

I guess I did learn a lesson about do's and don'ts that some never learn or follow!

@GaCoinGuy said:
    None near me anymore, but when I lived on the other side of the state, I would frequent Robinsons Coins in Marietta, GA. Amwldcoin, Northlake Stamp & Coin was horrible back in the day...that may be the one you are thinking of. I found a few really nice Mercs in there once, but the owner/shop guy was a true douche.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2020 6:17AM

@amwldcoin said:
    My most glaring experience was at Cumberland Mall. I know I was out of line but if my Dad had seen what happened that guy would be missing a few front teeth!

I don't remember how old I was...probably 11-13. The guy obviously didn't like kids in his shop. Well a guy comes in and offers him a handful of coins and he says he wasn't interested. I followed the guy out of the shop and told him I was interested. The guy comes flying out of his shop...and starts violently shaking me screaming he pays rent, etc. etc. Needless to say I never went back!

I guess I did learn a lesson about do's and don'ts that some never learn or follow!

Yeah, some owners can lose their patients, as we can too. These are one of the cardinal laws of this hobby though. I'm glad you brought this up! How ironic is this, what I'm about to tell you? I too, am guilty of doing the same thing many years ago. Running after a previous customer with some coins he was trying to sell to the coin shop. The worker came flying out of his shop yelling at me as well! He told me right there ,"to not step a foot in his shop anymore". Yes, a valuable lesson learned indeed. So I didn't. Here's the ironic part. That same shop owner, not the worker that tossed me out, moved her shop ever since. That worker that yelled at me, doesn't work there anymore. That same owner, so happens to be the lady I first mentioned in my OP! How ironic is that? Grant it, she wasn't aware that I was that person thrown out by her worker but still. What can turn out later in time, huh? LoL. :D

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    We have a great shop in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. All American coin and Bullion. Alex and Tyler know coins and just as important know how to treat a customer.

Best coin shop in the state by far.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

On local B&M shop owner here can come off very rude to walk in customers. It is very strange. I remember walking in long ago and being treated the same way.

I don't know why I kept coming back, but now I am a regular

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can vary based on the shop and staff.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Can vary based on the shop and staff.

This is the correct answer. I've seen the full spectrum from rude and crude to professional and friendly. Most fall in the right side of this range.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I’ve only one in my immediate area I’m aware of and he’s closed on weekends so that’s simply not going to ever happen for me. I work for a living. There was another shop but the dudes currently in state prison for frauding customers out of almost $300k if I recall correctly? Ugh.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

I have never done this myself and I think it’s probably morally and unethical to do so. But is it really that bad? I don’t think it’s illegal and if the dealer and customer are unable to make a deal why can’t a third party make a deal outside of the shop? I don’t know for sure but I would think that this takes place at coin shows.

• Options

All I will say is if that happened today and was reported the shop owner would probably be in jail! Picture a grown man grabbing a tween by the shoulders and shaking the sh*t out of him!

@skier07 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

I have never done this myself and I think it’s probably morally and unethical to do so. But is it really that bad? I don’t think it’s illegal and if the dealer and customer are unable to make a deal why can’t a third party make a deal outside of the shop? I don’t know for sure but I would think that this takes place at coin shows.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2020 1:05PM

@amwldcoin said:
    All I will say is if that happened today and was reported the shop owner would probably be in jail! Picture a grown man grabbing a tween by the shoulders and shaking the sh*t out of him!

@skier07 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

The owner was lucky. If my father would have found out he would have been missing more than a few front teeth. Today if that were to happen like you said owner would probably be prosecuted and face civil charges.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to take the initiative to make the experience pleasant and worthwhile. Do not allow the dealer to control the discussion...ask for what you are interested in. If the dealer is the one asking the questions, there is a greater probably that a dealer is going to loose interest.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I work in one, and we have regulars that we let help themselves behind the counter. And the same, if they find a variety, we are genuinely happy for them. Me and the owner are both collectors so we know how much fun this hobby is. :)

I've been to this shop. Very clean and nice layout.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I'm in a B&M store "desert". One of them has to talk politics and can't agree to disagree and leave it at that and the other has a few racks of coins but really is just there to sell billion and move you aside so he can take another order. If you have a good one, treasure it because I'm sad to say I think ebay is going to gobble up most of them :(

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

Just a thought, the owner wasn't interested, so what was the harm?
    You waited until the seller was out of the shop, and approached him.

I would kicked him. even at that age.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@ajaan said:

@asheland said:
    I work in one, and we have regulars that we let help themselves behind the counter. And the same, if they find a variety, we are genuinely happy for them. Me and the owner are both collectors so we know how much fun this hobby is. :)

Hopefully I'll meet you next time you're in the area. :)
    I used to work for Dan in Black Mountain, I believe you know him, too...

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@ajaan said:

@asheland said:

Yes, I do. If all goes well we plan on being in your neck of the woods this summer. Didn't you also work for Wright's?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:

@asheland said:

@ajaan said:

@asheland said:

Yes, I do. If all goes well we plan on being in your neck of the woods this summer. Didn't you also work for Wright's?

I did! That's where I know Michael from.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had 2 shops growing up. Used to frequent 1 weekly to get my Coin World. Other shop was small and did not have much stock. Both gone now. We do have 2 "shops" now but they primarily deal in bullion. That pays the rent.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Skyland Coins in Bristol Va. is my go to shop. Dwayne and Robert are very friendly and
    Knowledgeable. Well stocked and fairly priced. In our area they are the "go to" shop whether
    your finishing off your Indian head cent collection, needing 100 of the current year ASE,
    or needing to sell some inherited sterling ware. Their jewelry section is second to none.
    Always fun to visit and look around.

I live in Southern WVA and have one coin shop within reasonable travel. Now I travel 4 to 5 times a year to Eastern Tennessee and have stopped many times at Skyland Coins. Have both bought and sold coins there. Never a problem and treated very well.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm and @jesbroken Dwayne and Robert were doing fine as of a couple of months
    ago. Becky, Dwayne's daughter is very helpful with the jewelry. I always enjoy visiting and
    shopping with them.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is only one brick and mortar coin shop in my city. It’s ok. The owner is nice and chatty but very opinionated. Most of his stuff is priced much higher than general retail and his offers tend to be gray sheet bid or less.

He also doesn’t always disclose damage on flips/holders so you have to be careful. I have made a few good buys there but also a few that I regretted when I looked more carefully. I don’t lay the blame on him for that but I think it would be better if he disclosed damage and cleaning to buyers.

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoutout to George Mavrelos, owner of Pennies, Pounds, and Pesos in Media, Pennsylvania about a half hour outside of Philadelphia. One of the most honest and knowledgeable dealers I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Several other nice shops in the Philly area but that is the one I frequent the most

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin shops should be considered essential businesses. My mental health would be on point of the ones in my area were allowed to be open.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 5:04PM

@messydesk said:
    I just wish I had one I could frequent.

i don't see you hyperbolizing very often (any by that i mean, not often enough ;)) so when you say you wish you had one, i'll take you at your word but it is a tough swallow to think there isn't a b&m within at least 40 min. of your area. tell me it ain't not so!

oops forgot to post to the thread.

i'm not sure i can recall a BAD visit to a B&M in 10 years. certainly not always lolipops and cotton candy but bad, can't commit to that one.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@skier07 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

The owner was lucky. If my father would have found out he would have been missing more than a few front teeth. Today if that were to happen like you said owner would probably be prosecuted and face civil charges.

If it happened today it would be on YouTube as well!

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Just a thought, the owner wasn't interested, so what was the harm?
    You waited until the seller was out of the shop, and approached him.

Leaving out the physical contact part as it's not relevant to my response but sometimes, "I'm not interested" can mean "I might be interested, come back another time." In other words, a negotiating tool similar to the one buyers use when they respond to a price quoted by a dealer with "Thanks, but not today" reply.

What you should do in such a situation is ask the shop owner if it's okay with him if you try to make a deal with the guy and see where it goes from there. After all, he's the one who's invested time and money in an attempt to attract sellers to the shop and maybe he's still working the deal. Who knows? Maybe the seller is a regular customer and they've been through this before.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko - Based on your description, I know EXACTLY what Seattle shop you are talking about. Things have not changed. 😡

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file