Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1991 P Jefferson Nickel - Improperly Annealed?

ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

I found this nickel in my change yesterday. As you can see, the coin is chocolate brown like a large cent. It is also brown on the edge, which I found very interesting. Could this coin be improperly annealed or is it just covered in chocolate? Haha! Could it be plated? Thanks for the input!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, it's only environmental damage. The edge is discolored as well.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, environmental damage.

Another indicator is that it is well worn but the color is pretty complete, meaning it got that way after it circulated a bit.

In my opinion (others may differ), if you want to fund improperly annealed coins you should only be searching new rolls or new bags of coins.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick responses! Too bad it's not an error. I always look through my change, so hopefully one day I'll find one.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep,... just environmental damage....probably spent some time on the ground in a park or yard...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file