Home Sports Talk

Roy Halladay report released

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2020 9:53AM in Sports Talk

"Halladay had amphetamine levels about 10 times therapeutic levels in his blood along with a high level of morphine and an anti-depressant that can impair judgement as he performed high-pitch climbs and steep turns, sometimes within 5 feet (1.5 meters) of the water, the report says about the Nov. 7, 2017, crash off the coast of Florida."
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Report-Roy-Halladay-drugs-stunts-plane-crash-15204750.php

Is he still a first ballot HOFer if all of this was known prior to induction? I'm not sure he'd get as much tragic death sympathy vote.

Comments

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is is a topical discussion, especially in light of recent threads about Pete Rose, PED users, etc. But I am changing the title to something a bit less crass.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought all of this WAS known before his induction.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

challenging death is tricky when you're stone-cold sober and really experienced at what you're doing. apparently Roy Halladay was neither sober or very experienced at what he was doing. the trouble arises because he'd need to be perfect at what he was doing, every time.

I've never done anything remotely close to what he was doing, but I gave up most risky behavior over 20 years ago.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was just plain STUPID to be doing that!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selfish egotist, who had an expensive toy and wanted to be a hot dog...well, he crushed himself and his family.He was apparently quite the druggie, I, for one, couldn't care less about his chances for the HOFer.

I have a commercial pilot's license, I may have buzzed a friend's house once or twice, but never did anything remotely close to Halladay's nonsense. I always maintained an immense respect for turbulence, weather and flying around the mountains of New Hampshire, to do less was to invite disaster.

He knew for a very brief time that he was about to breathe his last...horrible way to die.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was already widely reported and known he was under the influence when his plane went down. I don't think that impacts his worthiness for the HOF, though, and he earned his way in, especially when a guy like Jack Morris gets in about 20 years after he was last eligible.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    It was already widely reported and known he was under the influence when his plane went down. I don't think that impacts his worthiness for the HOF, though, and he earned his way in, especially when a guy like Jack Morris gets in about 20 years after he was last eligible.

I don't think you can compare one player's active days to another to determine his worthiness for the HOFer. Its an individual thing, but I also think its rife with personal opinion and perhaps some politics thrown in. No known PED user should be so honored...problem is, I think the whole HOFer thing has been pretty much watered down.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@grote15 said:

I don't think you can compare one player's active days to another to determine his worthiness for the HOFer. Its an individual thing, but I also think its rife with personal opinion and perhaps some politics thrown in. No known PED user should be so honored...problem is, I think the whole HOFer thing has been pretty much watered down.

My point is that Halladay deserved induction into the HOF based on what he did on the field and to my knowledge he has never been linked to PEDs or cheating.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@grote15 said:

My point is that Halladay deserved induction into the HOF based on what he did on the field and to my knowledge he has never been linked to PEDs or cheating.

Based on this statement Grote.......Rose SHOULD be in. Based on what he did on the field and he didn't cheat! Sure he gambled, but that has nothing to do with his playing and his stats. The HOF is NOTHING without the ALLTIME Hit Leader. I have never been there and will NEVER go there until Rose is in. I know the World doesn't care if I go or not, but it is my way of showing my TOTAL DISGUST with the SO CALLED HOF!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@grote15 said:

Based on this statement Grote.......Rose SHOULD be in. Based on what he did on the field and he didn't cheat! Sure he gambled, but that has nothing to do with his playing and his stats. The HOF is NOTHING without the ALLTIME Hit Leader. I have never been there and will NEVER go there until Rose is in. I know the World doesn't care if I go or not, but it is my way of showing my TOTAL DISGUST with the SO CALLED HOF!!!

Rose did violate baseball's cardinal rule though~betting on baseball both as a player and a manager. Totally different case.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭

Been away from this board for a while, and finished up work early today so I thought I'd see what the hot topic is. Saw this post and had to reply. After he died in that plane crash, there were many, many articles and the man and the way he lived his life. Seems to me that there was no question he was a great humanitarian, father and human being. If only half of the stuff written about his life was true, his death was a real tragedy. As far as his HOF worthiness goes, anyone who saw him pitch on a regular basis knew that he was a first ballot HOFer. If you had to win one game, you would definitely want the ball in his hands.