Home Precious Metals

US Mint is NOT shutting down!

The US Mint has shut down TOURS. Bullion Exchange sent a advertisement email out saying they were shut down so buy your bullion now. It does seem like these tactics work though. Even Kitco is posting more interviews on how gold is shooting to $10,000, even $20,000 very soon.

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shut it down I say, who needs a mint when we gots unlimited digital digits?

WINNING #MERCA #20KIN2020

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2020 9:02PM

Bloomberg disagrees with you.

While all US Mint facilities have likely shut down tours, mint spokesman says West Point mint shutting down indefinitely, gold coin production halted and silver eagle and ATB puck production moved to Philly.

Might want to change your thread title.

Confirmation email from the US Mint.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

edited April 15, 2020 5:12PM

Interesting that they are only shutting down one facility. West Point is the gold coin production facility and just maybe the reduced availability of gold to mint coins gave them the opportunity to reduce COIVD risk to some of their employees. Appears they still have access to silver as they are temporarily moving that production to Philly.

Would be nice if they were to put P mintmarks on those ASEs. Maybe we'll even see a die variety unless they send the West Point dies to Philly and don't create a "P" die.

Seriously though, it fgures they would shut down production the day I get my Corona checks. All this money in my pocket and now I can't even buy a nice new shiny AGE.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be interesting... will they reopen and catch up on the gold production? Is the shutdown more due to gold appreciation (real or projected) and the virus just an excuse to cover?? If gold prices are going to hit record highs, they are likely holding back for future profits. Cheers, RickO

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

While all US Mint facilities have likely shut down tours, mint spokesman says West Point mint shutting down indefinitely, gold coin production halted and silver eagle and ATB puck production moved to Philly.

You can purchase gold bullion right now on their website. They ran some product, shipped out the business strikes and have the Proof stuff all ready to be sold and shipped.

@isaiah58 said:

@derryb said:

You can purchase gold bullion right now on their website. They ran some product, shipped out the business strikes and have the Proof stuff all ready to be sold and shipped.

Sure, they are selling what they have produced, but does not change the fact that they have stopped production of new coins.

@derryb said:

@isaiah58 said:

@derryb said:

Sure, they are selling what they have produced, but does not change the fact that they have stopped production of new coins.

All for not, appears my stimulus check has bounced. lol

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously though, it fgures they would shut down production the day I get my Corona checks. All this money in my pocket and now I can't even buy a nice new shiny AGE.

@blitzdude: funny thing, I can never tell when you are BS'ing.

Their new pricing schedule for "collectable" issues is way beyond gouging. I'd be surprised if there's much of a market for this stuff now. Time will tell, I suppose.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 11:05AM

Omg the mint is closing the mint is closing says chicken little

@jmski52 said:

@blitzdude: funny thing, I can never tell when you are BS'ing.

Their new pricing schedule for "collectable" issues is way beyond gouging. I'd be surprised if there's much of a market for this stuff now. Time will tell, I suppose.

Yes too rich for my blood. I can't stomach mint premiums even on the proofs. I will try to get a bullion coin from one of the retailers but they are all pricing high as well. Can't even try the local guy because they are shutdown non essential. Still blows my mind how liquor, gun and pot shops are essential yet coin dealers (especially bullion) are not.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 11:54AM

@blitzdude said:

"Still blows my mind how liquor, gun and pot shops are essential yet coin dealers (especially bullion) are not."

Yeah. You'd think with all the liquor, guns and pots shops open, the Mint's bullion stuff would be flying off the shelves.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd think with all the liquor, guns and pots shops open, the Mint's bullion stuff would be flying off the shelves.

dpoole, you're on a roll today, rofl

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.