edited April 23, 2020 12:38PM

Brian

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2020 12:37PM

Brian

• Options
    tOSUtOSU Posts: 15 ✭✭

Since they aren't selling you raise the price higher? Makes sense if you don't think about it. GLWS

• Options
    edited April 23, 2020 12:37PM

Brian

• Options

I think the price is being manipulated by a few people so you might want to sell your cards before the price crashes. If that is not the case and it actually is going up by demand and not speculation or manipulation then you probably should hold on to them because they will be selling for $100,000 dollars one day. My guess is that its a combination of price manipulation and speculation also if 99% of the people are not selling then the price means nothing you are still out the money that you paid for the card until you sell it. I had a chance to buy all of these packs for 35 cents back in 1986 but even if I did save a box of 36 packs I would have sold them long ago when they were going for $100 dollars on Ebay so I never would have kept them this long. That is why my advice is simple if this price increase is real hold on to the cards if its being manipulated and speculated then sell now because they will fall in price similar to the Etopps cards. They wont become worthless like the Etopps but the price could fall to more realistic levels if the bubble does bursts and usually it does.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious to why you would post that 8’s are hitting $7k and get them before they hit $10k. Wouldn’t they have to hit $6k before they hit $7k? I am all for people getting what the market can bear and more power to you if you can get strong prices, but it appears your numbers might be a little off in pumping the selling price based on sales. Good luck with the sales and just don’t know where you are seeing that these are selling for $7k.

• Options
    smittiassmittias Posts: 54 ✭✭

Youre curious why he would post that 8s are hitting $7,000? Maybe it has to do with the fact that an 8 just sold for over $7000. Granted it was PWCC so who knows if the consigner was bidding it up, but ease off bashing this guy when he's speaking the truth.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/402218506573

• Options

8’s are not hitting $7k as the VCP price history would show - one 8 hit that mark from a seller that has an “impeccable reputation” does not make Jordan 8’s at $7k. We call this an outlier or as you said a shill.

A borderline OC 8 from PWCC does not raise red flags to you - don’t know what to tell you. They have been selling for $4500 to $5100 recently and two months ago they were in the high $2k to low $3k range, and now this one magically goes for $7k. You be the judge.

• Options

Honestly, too early to tell and the jury is still out on where prices will go. On one hand, you can say the only PSA 8 to sell for $7,000+ is PWCC and they must have manipulated. But you could just as easily say that the only PSA 8 to sell since the documentary aired sold for over $7,000. We'll have to see where it goes from here. Personally, I don't own one, and I'm definitely not a buyer at these prices. But anyone who discounts this as mere market manipulation hasn't been paying attention to the trading card market, and specifically the basketball trading card market.

Oh and to the person who compared Jordan rookies to etopps...you may want to stop making analogies. That one makes absolutely no sense.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2020 3:45PM

@KendallCat since when is price bashing allowed in here? If you don't like my prices, move on. Plenty of you guys sell your stuff for over VCP because they have above average centering or "eye appeal." Every one of mine have superior centering and eye appeal to the one that sold yesterday for $7200. And unless you have proof that it was shilled, that is a sold price, regardless of PWCC's alleged reputation. Almost all the other recent sales are poorly centered or are old slabs. 2 of mine are lighthouse labels and 2 are the hologram but were slabbed just before the lighthouse labels were introduced. Not sure if you don't have anything else better to do or what, but feel free to find someone else to annoy today.

Brian

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I don't think he was bashing your ask price on the lot of 4.

I think he was questioning the background info you used to establish the going market rate for a PSA 8 Jordan RC.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what anyone says once the offer is out there as the market will dictate how realistic the price is for the cards offered.

Relax and welcome to the board.

Good luck with your sales.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the more recent Jordan posts are relative newcomers to the board - or at least many haven’t been active posters or involved in lot of discussions.

Not drawing any conclusions but I’m with KC, the entire Jordan thing is interesting.

• Options

First thing I would like to know what is the population count of Jordan's graded and how many raw cards that could be graded a 8 then you can get a ideal about the price. Supply and demand equals price and if the demand is speculation and manipulation then that gives a false value of the card. I personally think the real value of a 8 is around $2,000 dollars that is why I would be very hesitant to spend 5k right now on a 8 they could drop and be selling for 2k this time next year. Just look at the Etopps cards if you want to see how a card can drop in price. I think the whole Jordan thing is full of scam artists like people selling wax packs and actually saying there might be a Jordan inside when every pack out there has been searched.

• Options

The SGC 8 that sold yesterday for $6.800 had much better centering fwiw

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83

They’re very nice looking cards; good luck with the sale(s).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Here's something I woke up thinking about...maybe others would like to ponder as well. Why are we more accepting of negative projections rather than positive? A guy posts that Jordan 8s are approaching $7,000 and could be headed to higher and people rail on him. Another person estimates that within 12 months, Jordan 8s will be selling for $2000. Another one is comparing Jordan 8s to the eTopps melt down. I'm just waiting for someone to call Jordan rookies the next Beanie Baby. No one seems to take any issue with these overly negative projections. Why is that?

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium thank you.

@smittias I appreciate the support. And that's because the people who have chosen to criticize my post don't have a skin in the game. When certain aforementioned people, and I'll refrain from pointing fingers, sells his cards on here, every card is described as though it's the best that grade has ever seen. I'm done. I'll be happy to sell these elsewhere.

Brian

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@smittias said:
    Here's something I woke up thinking about...maybe others would like to ponder as well. Why are we more accepting of negative projections rather than positive? A guy posts that Jordan 8s are approaching $7,000 and could be headed to higher and people rail on him. Another person estimates that within 12 months, Jordan 8s will be selling for $2000. Another one is comparing Jordan 8s to the eTopps melt down. I'm just waiting for someone to call Jordan rookies the next Beanie Baby. No one seems to take any issue with these overly negative projections. Why is that?

I understand what you are saying, and I think for the most part, people do have major issues with the overly negative projections, but they simple choose to ignore those projections, as most often, they are offered by pot-stirrers simply looking to argue.

With regards to beating on the person who is pushing his cards saying that the are approaching such and such and could be headed higher, again I think it's personal preference. If you have high end cards to sell, list them with your price and be done. Saying things like "Get these before 8's hit $10,000 apiece on Ebay." is, quite frankly, a bit insulting when they can currently be had on eBay for less. It's not a good look, but that's just me. As a whole, this board is educated (especially those that are going to spend several thousand on a card). They don't need the sales "fluff". Again, ask what you want, but don't try to "push" your price as being a bargain, especially when it is not.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s the last two major auction house sales on PSA/APR (just before and just after the documentary):

Here’s an active auction:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/114191925406

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@detroitfan2 "Fluff" like Kendalcat's sales post a few months ago where he refers to inflated past sales of a card during a period we all acknowledged was being manipulated by a supposed "buying group"? That card in the same grade subsequently sold for $1,000 less by PWCC of all people.

Brian

• Options

Yes, fluff exactly like that.

• Options

At least we agree on that.

Brian

• Options

Man i loved that 56 Mantle card - never get tired of seeing that photo. This one might be my favorite now and much cheaper - need to try to bump it.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!! Maybe a group hug is in order. A little arrogance, a challenge, documentation to support positions. Nice cards
    BJY83 (Brian). You have every right to boast. Best of luck on the sales. Very exciting times for the Jordan collectors.

• Options
    tOSUtOSU Posts: 15 ✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    At least we agree on that.

Pointing out the obvious means hurt feelings on your end, I apologize.

• Options

Guys like this weren't buying Jordan cards last week. Unless this guy secretly works for PWCC, I don't think he was manipulating any market. I'm not saying that crap doesnt happen. Of course it does because it can. But anyone who is dismissing the price escalation as purely market manipulation is kidding themselves.

• Options

Two Ebay sales yesterday from non PWCC sellers for $6600. With sales tax, both would be in the $7100 range. So with 7's going over $4000 after sales tax, looks like my sale price was completely in line with comps.

Brian

• Options

Dude, let it go. Put your cards on ebay then for $7000 (and net $6100 after ebay and Paypal fees) once the card actually sells for $7000, and be done with it if it's that easy.

• Options

What the heck is your problem? Go troll someone else. I don't know if you think you know me but since when did you become the CU police? Seriously, don't comment on any of my posts anymore and get a life.

Brian