Home Precious Metals
Options

Update: 1 oz. gold -or- 2 oz. platinum and $210 cash?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2020 7:36AM in Precious Metals

Tough choice. At this ratio, I would probably go with platinum.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no platinum so I'd take the duece and the cash.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take platinum as well.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still hard to believe Pt is trading at .45 Au. Go Pt.

• Options

Would love to find a deal on platinum.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

(2) platinum and cash !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thus far, taking the gold position has netted you a positive return of $6.70.

Time will tell.....

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with gold as the main stack....silver is secondary, but certainly worth including in some quantity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah gold is more liquid, but at this rate, the platinum has some room for growth.

I’d take the platinum under these circumstances.

I remember gold being 1,000 and platinum being 2,000!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who would have predicted a few years ago that platinum would be worth less than half of what gold is worth. For most of my life, platinum was worth more than gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless we can see some documented actual platinum buys and sells with all the details about the spread at the time of the buy and sell and how hard it was to put the deal together the answer is never going to be platinum.

What is it with the violent smashing of square pegs into round holes that some of you find so appealing? it never works , the shortest distance between two points is never platinum. No one is going to build a better mousetrap out of platinum.

It won't be raw platinum or slabbed platinum or big fat hideous gigantic stupid looking rings made from platinum that mr T wouldn't wear.

not platinum never platinum

This really isn't good enough , there is no excuse for these constant threads about platinum , its a terrible thing to buy there is ample proof that horse is dead dead dead stop backing over the dead horse with your car its dead.

Its really dead life is finite there is no reason to keep wondering about platinum and paladium and rhodium they suck now and always will suck forever .

2+2 is always going to =4 asking again next month won't suddenly change something so 2+2=5

search for platinum in the forum and there are 100 threads about whether its a good time to get platinum the answer is never, it doesn't matter what the price is its always going to be no.

can we just make a sticky thread ? Official OMG don't buy platinum thread never platinum don't buy or own platinum.

Platinum forever the AMWAY of precious metal investing

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great, Bronco.

So how do you feel about Platinum? :)

• Options

Platinum's not so bad. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@dpoole said:
    That's great, Bronco.

So how do you feel about Platinum? :)

actually what I feel is that whenever there is new talk of platinum someone is desperately trying to shift some.

like buy an ounce today pay 100 over spot sell an ounce today at 100 under spot meaning you need +200 from now to break even on what you buy today. such a deal :D

That even a coin shop paying 50% of melt for platinum isnt comfortable owning much of it unless there are half a dozen loony bins within spitting distance to market the stuff to.

I can attest to seeing platinum in display cases with dust film so thick upon it that it would stop a speeding bullet,

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did platinum spank you too hard as a baby?
    Did platinum bully you at some point in your life?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Did platinum spank you too hard as a baby?
    Did platinum bully you at some point in your life?

No I was never personally harmed by platinum, no one should actually be in mortal danger from platinum. One look at the spread should be enough. But then again we have known for decades that smoking kills people dead and they cost 10 bucks a pack and yet people still smoke. It boggles the mind to be sure

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    actually what I feel is that whenever there is new talk of platinum someone is desperately trying to shift some.

Not in this case, I originated this thread and I'm not trying to shift any, desperately or otherwise. It's simply a topic that's of interest to myself and some other posters on this forum.

If I buy platinum at all, it's through an ETF, where the commission is free and the buy-sell spread is about two-tenths of one percent.

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

1 oz platinum, 1/2 oz gold? anything left, add silver.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

plats and cash.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take the gold, because platinum was never money in any period of time

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2020 7:05PM

I like the yella stuff. But plat is a screaming deal right now.

• Options

@fivecents said:
    I like the yella stuff. But plat is a screaming deal right now.

eft platinum might be , but it lacks that alluring $200 an ounce spread .

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    I will take the gold, because platinum was never money in any period of time

"The first and only case when platinum coins were used as a regular national currency[4] was in Russia, where coins were circulated between 1828 and 1845." --Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_coin#Imperial_Russia

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about gold pressed latinum?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I'm not seeing a need to pay a $200 spread. Maybe $100, but gold is around $180/oz spread right now. I very recently picked up some 1oz Pt eagles at $868. Spot was $750 at the time. Pretty sure I can easily get at least spot when it comes time to sell, based on the few dealers that currently will list a buy price. Worst case, I could unload on eBay. When Pt went spot went as low as $588 in Mar, lowest actual selling price I could find on eBay was at least $830. Worst case, it's still $100 per coin legal tender.

• Options

@RobM said:
    I'm not seeing a need to pay a $200 spread. Maybe $100, but gold is around $180/oz spread right now. I very recently picked up some 1oz Pt eagles at $868. Spot was $750 at the time. Pretty sure I can easily get at least spot when it comes time to sell, based on the few dealers that currently will list a buy price. Worst case, I could unload on eBay. When Pt went spot went as low as $588 in Mar, lowest actual selling price I could find on eBay was at least $830. Worst case, it's still $100 per coin legal tender.

who would pay spot for platinum right now knowing it just went from 1000 to 600 in less than a month?

Its oversold? Ya just like every stock that is cratering is oversold until you actually own it yourself :D then its a slingslot straight into the abyss :D

You just said you paid 868 that is $118 over spot , now list it on ebay and pay 15% in fees and there is your $200.

Completed sales on ebay are only valid for liquid , widely traded items with metals that means silver and gold , not platinum not palladium not hand poured copper loaf bars or .999 rhodium shot by the ounce.

By all means trade the ETF because that is totally different . Metal ETF's aren't actual metal they are imaginary constructs that you can exit and enter at will from the comfort of your laptop , most of the time.

The ETF is just another trade for bored computer geeks with a brokerage account, none of whom base their trades on the platinum to gold ratio( which even in the world of constitutional silver fans has never been a thing)

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078,
    Right now a well known bullion dealer is listing their buy price on 1oz Pt eagles at $869 (almost exactly what i paid just 3 days ago). So, please tell me how i'm down $200/oz. Keep in mind I actually did pay $200 premiums on Baird Rh bars a few years back when Rh was out of fashion.

• Options

@RobM said:
    @bronco2078,
    Right now a well known bullion dealer is listing their buy price on 1oz Pt eagles at $869 (almost exactly what i paid just 3 days ago). So, please tell me how i'm down $200/oz. Keep in mind I actually did pay $200 premiums on Baird Rh bars a few years back when Rh was out of fashion.

the devil is always in the details , listed buy prices are not the same as a cleared check.

Feel free to be a martyr for the cause of illiquid metal trading. :#

I guess providing an example of working too hard for too little gain can help others avoid doing the same

negative role model is totally a thing

• Options

we have known for decades that smoking kills people dead and they cost 10 bucks a pack and yet people still smoke. It boggles the mind to be sure

$10 a pack? Really? I was considering the purchase of a few cartons of cigs as a shtf speculation, but I didn't really get into pricing. $10 a pack? Really?

That makes it almost worthwhile to grow it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Gold $1710.
    Platinum $750.
    Silver $14.99, G/S ratio 114.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Who would have predicted a few years ago that platinum would be worth less than half of what gold is worth. For most of my life, platinum was worth more than gold.

I would have. Gold is the last ditch.
    The other metals are for prosperous times.
    The last ditch is getting really really close.

Really close.