Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned coins?

Hi all. Haven't been on here for awhile. Just thought I would ask you folks what you think of toned coins. Seems that they are quite well received. Myself, I prefer my silver without any toning. Prefer bright and flawless shine. Am I missing something? I am an old poot on SSI, so I collect cheaper silver. Here is a couple.

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, seems that pretty tarnish is called toning. Ugly tarnish should be and often is called tarnish, unless the coin is yours and you are trying to sell it.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

white is nice, but do you want a collection where all the coins look the same except for date/mm ?

I consider coins as paintings and the base coin is the canvas.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver surfaces are aging as we speak. Just like us. Some more noticeable than others. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Well, seems that pretty tarnish is called toning. Ugly tarnish should be and often is called tarnish, unless the coin is yours and you are trying to sell it.

I think the word “tarnish” has a largely negative connotation. While in some cases, it’s quite accurate, in others, words like “toning”, “patina” or “oxidation” might be as good or better.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GUNNER63755 ....Gunny, I am with you.... I do not care for tarnish... That being said, on old coins that have seen commerce, honest wear and recessed area darkness are traits that are unavoidable. Where possible, I look for clean surfaces and as minted luster....Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I like both...

I gotta tell you Joe ... your coins and photos are mind boggling!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    I like both...

I gotta tell you Joe ... your coins and photos are mind boggling!

Thank you my coin brother 😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some like it, some don't, some go both ways, its a personal choice for what suits your eye.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2020 2:56PM

1964 proof set
    The main reason I purchased the set, the toned quarter. Also, the slightly toned half.

Sorry, bad photo's and cracked plastic. amateur

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin is attractive and eye-appealing, that's all that matters, toned or untoned.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

To each his own.
    I like both.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I like coins with nice color, like this one-

That buffalo nickel is stunning!

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

@android01 said:
    I love toned coins because each one is like a snowflake - never the same. Each one is a different and distinct work of art.

In keeping with the toned buffalo theme, here's one of mine.

Thats cool!

• GUNNER63755GUNNER63755 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input. Gave this old man a new perspective on toned coins. I may just have to pick up one that has some nice even tone to it. Live and learn. Stay safe all.

edited April 14, 2020 10:56PM

B)<3B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@android01 said:
    I love toned coins because each one is like a snowflake - never the same. Each one is a different and distinct work of art.

Beautiful! That small colorful circle on his right cheek looks as if it's warpaint. B)

• wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

All great coins B)

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:

@koynekwest said:
    I like coins with nice color, like this one-

That buffalo nickel is stunning!

Thanks!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got carried away due to this stay at home deal.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@android01 said:

Beautiful! That small colorful circle on his right cheek looks as if it's warpaint. B)

I never thought of the "warpaint." Thanks for saying that! I'll always think of it that way now. :)

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog WOW WOW WOW!

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file