Home U.S. Coin Forum

A pleasant little surprise for these gray days

wevwev Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

I was taking a picture of my grandfather's signet ring for my daughter today. It was in the original C. D. Peacock box, from the venerable Chicago jeweler c 1920. When I went to take the ring out, it stuck, and the plush liner came with it. And therein was an unexpected prize -- lying in the bottom under some very old cotton wool was this Masonic token. It measures 3/8" x 1/2" and thin as a piece of 100 lb cover stock.
I have various pieces of my grandfather's jewelry and Masonic memorabilia, but had never given this ring more than a cursory glance before. I'll have to do some research to see if this little wafer has a particular meaning, but in the mean time, it sure is cool.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only is it way cool in and of itself and the fact that it was your grandfathers, but the way you discovered it makes it more amazing!

Looks like a half dollar?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its tagged Half Dime, and I don't think that the date digits are big enough for a Half Dollar...I have been wrong before.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • wevwev Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

A half dime was my guess and I don't know beans about coins. Assuming it was squared off at the rim when it was cut (given the remaining dentils), I used a circle template and it measured a tight 9/16" diameter, so pretty small.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a half dime.
    Really cool and likely (assuredly?) unique.
    Thank you for sharing. B)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

A resourceful conversion for sure. Exciting find! Is 1858 a significant date in your family tree? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and a super find....Probably was a special memento for your Grandfather....Too bad the backstory is lost. Definitely a family heirloom now...Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oneof the cooler 'love-tokens' I've ever seen !

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one, WEV!

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible find.

Seems well worn so carried as a pocket piece?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably was a pocket piece.

Could've been carried by the owner in case something happened to him, to show he was a FreeMason.

Just one guess.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a half dime to me. Should be 15.5 mm or 5/8" in diameter, or in this case, corner to corner. Very cool piece!

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Probably was a pocket piece.

Could've been carried by the owner in case something happened to him, to show he was a FreeMason.

Just one guess.

Pete

If it was, he would have needed to be very careful where he put it -- it is very tiny. The pic shows it on the tip of my index finger. That said, it may have been in a now gone locket or watch fob.

@messydesk said:
    Looks like a half dime to me. Should be 15.5 mm or 5/8" in diameter, or in this case, corner to corner. Very cool piece!

Just a touch less from corner wear

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we assume "G" was one of his initials? (My eyes see a "G" anyway...)

Easily distracted Type Collector

@TommyType said:
    Can we assume "G" was one of his initials? (My eyes see a "G" anyway...)

No. The Letter G stands for "Geometry", which is the mathematical science upon which Architecture and Masonry were founded. It is a primary symbol in Masonic iconography.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat !!! :)

Timbuk3

Any cool new spoons lately, WEV? I'm on SMPUB, too :smile:

• Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Very cool. B)

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some free mason symbols 👍

@asheland said:
    Any cool new spoons lately, WEV? I'm on SMPUB, too :smile:

I have been a very good boy lately (damn it)

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

WEV, any idea who this may be?
    (1740’s Rat rail Hanoverian tablespoon)
    I’ve been trying to figure this maker out for a few years now.

And this is the composition:

@asheland said:

I have seen the journeyman's counter mark twice before, once alone and once with a mark too worn to decipher. Both were on similar vintage place/serving spoons without provenance. I have never seen an attribution for the WS mark, I'm afraid.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a treasure map Indiana! It will lead you to the lost gold of the Incas!! Cool find~

@wev said:

@asheland said:

I have seen the journeyman's counter mark twice before, once alone and once with a mark too worn to decipher. Both were on similar vintage place/serving spoons without provenance. I have never seen an attribution for the WS mark, I'm afraid.

Thanks! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file