Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franco-American Allegories

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2020 1:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given all the the interest in Franco-American allegories with the Libertas Americana medal, what are other notable Franco-American allegories?

This is one I just ran across which got me thinking about this. It's a 5oz .999 gold medal struck by the Paris Mint in 1986. There were just 30 struck.

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020 1:34PM
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2020 1:46PM

This one is a little bit on the fringe, but still fits the criteria, I think.
    Large bronze plaque made by France as a tribute to the USA participation in WW1:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great medal and plaque Dan.

Love the slogan on the plaque, "To Make the World Safe for Democracy".

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020 6:58PM

-pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1916-50c/6566

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Given all the the interest in Franco-American allegories with the Libertas Americana medal, what are other notable Franco-American allegories?

This is one I just ran across which got me thinking about this. It's a 5oz .999 gold medal struck by the Paris Mint in 1986. There were just 30 struck.

I have one of the 5 ounce silver versions of that same medal:

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

This French medal was issued to commemorate a a treaty of navigation and commerce in 1822; France is represented as an Athena/Minerva-style warrior with a cornucopia and French shield, while America is represented as a native princess with a feathered headdress and resting her hand upon the prow of a ship...

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options

Several US coin designs seem to have been inspired by earlier France issues.
    The French "Ceres" head came first, in 1849:

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins....That is a beautiful medal and a big piece of gold.... Very, very nice. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file