Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this Morgan 1879-O fake

NorCoinsNorCoins Posts: 1
edited April 11, 2020 12:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi folks, i'm a Norwegian collector of US coins. Recently a collector friend of me got in hand this Morgan 1879-O.
Big question now, is this fake?
It is non magnetic
I hope you can help me here, me myself got uncertain.

Tagged:

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the images, the coin looks genuine, but also cleaned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree that it looks genuine but cleaned.

All glory is fleeting.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think it is authentic and cleaned, as stated above.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine.

Vplite99
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

Agree. Genuine. but beat up......

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. The gray color indicates a cleaning.

edited April 12, 2020 4:15AM

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the images, the coin looks genuine, but also cleaned.> @Jimnight said:

What causes you to call it a nice coin?

There are many grey colored coins which aren’t cleaned - on its own, grey color doesn’t indicate that a coin has been cleaned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCoins....Welcome aboard....I agree with the above, it is authentic. This is a great forum with many expert members that are always willing to help. Very good pictures. One other tip when seeking such information, if possible, check the weight of the coin. Cheers, RickO

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authentic but cleaned as stated above

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, other tools to have on hand are Harbour Freight digital calipers and digital gram scale. Also save VAMworld.com The Google has lots of content on knowing cleaned silver coinage. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
    edited April 12, 2020 10:47AM

@MFeld said:
    Welcome to the forum.

Based on the images, the coin looks genuine, but also cleaned.> @Jimnight said:

What causes you to call it a nice coin?

There are many grey colored coins which aren’t cleaned - on its own, grey color doesn’t indicate that a coin has been cleaned.

It's not a counterfeit ... it's a silver dollar, I like it.
    To me, when I see a silver coin look flat gray I think of cleaning or wear not all the time, but sometimes.

@MFeld

One more thing to watch for with a gray looking silver coin ... after the coin is cleaned the coin could be AT with sulfur ( egg ) to flatten the shine with a gray dull toning.

@Jimnight said:
    @MFeld

One more thing to watch for with a gray looking silver coin ... after the coin is cleaned the coin could be AT with sulfur ( egg ) to flatten the shine with a gray dull toning.

I understand that. However, I had responded to your earlier post, which I have copied below. And as written, I believe that it was potentially misleading.

“The gray color indicates a cleaning.”

@MFeld said:

@Jimnight said:
    @MFeld

I understand that. However, I had responded to your earlier post, which I have copied below. And as written, I believe that it was potentially misleading.

You understand that ... but you don't understand the gray color. :|

@Jimnight said:

@MFeld said:

@Jimnight said:
    @MFeld

You understand that ... but you don't understand the gray color. :|

I understand it, just fine.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides checking magnetism also check the weight on suspect coins.

Many happy BST transactions
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Another thing to check on New Orleans, and some can do San Fran silver dollars is the coins edge, each mint basined their dies differently. The New Orleans coins have a very "wide" look to their sides (the reeded side).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file