Home Precious Metals
Options

When Did The Term "Constitutional Silver" Come About?

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have started hearing the term "Constitutional Silver" or "Constitutional Gold" for pre-64 silver and pre-33 gold. When did this start taking hold? I've always called this 'Junk" silver. Maybe its a respect thing? ;)

What's your term--junk or continental?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

real money

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember growing up hearing people say "I have to go take a constitutional" when they had to use the loo. So constitutional can have a different, rather unbecoming meaning.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard that term used at all. Next time you hear it, ask the user - they probably do not know either. Only possibility I can think of is when legal tender in common use, used precious metals as defined by Congress. And that is a stretch. Sounds like people using terminology to sound important... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have not heard that term used at all. Next time you hear it, ask the user - they probably do not know either. Only possibility I can think of is when legal tender in common use, used precious metals as defined by Congress. And that is a stretch. Sounds like people using terminology to sound important... :D Cheers, RickO

Agree. Never heard this term before. I'm going to the kitchen now to fix myself a constitutional sandwich.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall ... I will also adjourn for my morning repast...Four oatmeal raisin cookies and green tea. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    i think its mainly called that by the nutjobs.
    ironically I don't call it that
    go figure

Agreed on all counts!
    :)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a constitutional this morning. >:)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

About six months ago I was interested in melting and pouring some handmade silver bars. I was watching some guys on YouTube making their own .999 silver bars. When the video I picked was over YouTube started feeding their own "Silver Stackers" Video's they felt I would be interested in, Thats when I first started hearing Constitutional Silver. It was my understanding that these guys resented something they collected being referred to as Junk. Now they collect "Constitutional Silver" and not Junk. Remember this is the ME TOO days and junk is no longer PC.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2020 2:51PM

@SaorAlba said:
    I did a constitutional this morning. >:)

Oh a power dump. Them r fun

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive herd it years ago , but a lot recently from newbies, first time silver buyers that call or come by looking

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I've only heard it recently on a YouTube video.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a millennial thing. stackers just say 90% or junk silver.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@isaiah58.... Thanks for the link... good information. Helps to see the Constitutional ties to 'money'...and how it has evolved over the years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020 10:04AM

This link pretty much answered the question.
    I might start using the term myself.

More reading & very interesting....
    https://constitution.findlaw.com/article1/annotation27.html