Home Sports Talk
Options

The stuff of legend

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hear about the greatest performances in sports history, team and individual.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 8, 2020 1:31PM

1997 NBA Finals game 5, Michael Jordan battling the flu, completely exhausted and dehydrated, drops 38 on the Jazz to push his team to victory. I remember watching this game, and being shocked at how terrible Jordan looked physically. You could see it in his body language and in his face.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broken leg and torn ACL for the 2008 US Open win

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to top this, although the video can't capture the live drama that took place when watching it unfold back then on TV. Lot of heart in that small body.

Kerri Strug's Unforgettable Determination to Win Gymnastics Olympic Gold

https://youtu.be/O4um3YEX51k

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a team, it's tough to top the 1980 Olympics hockey team.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though not widely known or appreciated i attended an ABA game in Denver during Christmas Break in December, 1974 between the then Denver Rockets and the Utah Stars.

During that game 19 year old Moses Malone played about 24 minutes of the 48 minute game. His stat line at the end of the game included:

35 points

23 rebounds

He was magnificent.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2020 3:29PM

^ Along that same line, I almost made the JV basketball team.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few, some less known than others:

• Michael Vick as a freshman in the national title game against FSU. Didn't win but he was a one-man army. Unreal performance.

• Vince Young in bowl games. Take your pick - the Rose Bowl against Michigan or the following year against USC for the national title.

• Mario Lemieux scores 5 goals, 1 each in every possible way - even strength, shorthanded, power play, penalty shot, empty net

• Glen Rice in the 1989 NCAAs - 31 pts a game, 55% from 3-point range en route to a NCAA title

• Mike Cameron, Seattle Mariners, vs Chicago White Sox, 5/2/2002. 6 PAs, 4-5 with an HBP. 4 homers. And the one out? A fly ball caught against the fence in the 9th inning. Closest anyone has ever come to a 5-homer game.

• Rennie Stennett, Pittsburgh Pirates, vs Chicago Cubs, 9/16/75, 7-for-7 in a 9-inning game.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

New England Patriots TEAM beating Atlanta in the Super Bowl. Yea Atlanta fell apart but on that stage to come back down 28-3 with less than a half to go is ridiculous

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shun Fujimoto broke his leg in the floor exercise but continued the team competition on the horse and rings in the 1976 Olympics. His routine on the rings was painful to watch, knowing that when it was over he was going to have to come crashing down on his broken leg. He did it, somehow managed not to scream, and Japan won the team Gold. It was awesome.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Awesome stuff guys!

• Options

10/8/56 Don Larsen of the New York Yankees pitches the only perfect game in World Series history against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

The opening and closing ceremonies of all Olympic Games

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andre Agassi won all 4 grand slam titles and a Gold medal.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

2004 ALCS game 6, Curt Schilling goes 7 innings with a torn tendon sheath in his right ankle. The blood from his injury was visible through his sock, and the game will forever be known as the bloody sock game. Love him or hate him, it was a legendary performance by Schilling. That game, Curt Schilling was the ultimate "Red Sock". ;)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to locate the box score for the game mentioned above.

My memory is incorrect.

Moses scored 36 points, not 35. He made 12 two point shots and 12 free throws.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

when glicker was bonked on the melon with a hammer like 7 times yet still managed to persevere is the kind of resilience legends are made of

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Andre Agassi won all 4 grand slam titles and a Gold medal.

Same sport: Martina Navritilova won 6 straight Grand Slam tourneys but not the "Grand Slam". Last 3 one year, first 3 the next.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2020 3:33PM

My favorite one about Ted Williams:

Ted won 2 Triple Crowns, 2 MVPs, batted .406, and .388.

All 6 things occurred in different seasons.

Bonus fact: During Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak, Ted hit for a higher average than Joe did.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

Bonus fact: During Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak, Ted hit for a higher average than Joe did.

Ted nearly hit higher for the season than Joe did for those 56 games. Joe batted .408 during the streak, Ted hit .406 for the entire season.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Abbott pitches a no hitter with one hand.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Olga Corbit...USSR

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Michael...….. Phelps.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2020 10:57AM

March 2nd,1962, Wilt Chamberlain of the Philadelphia Warriors drops 100 points on the New York Knicks at Hershey Sports Arena in Hershey Pennsylvania, as the Warriors beat the Knicks 169-147. This is a record that may never be broken.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 100 point game by Wilt is equal
    To Joe D’s 56 game hitting streak. Yes or no? I say no but still a remarkable feat

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The 100 point game by Wilt is equal
    To Joe D’s 56 game hitting streak. Yes or no? I say no but still a remarkable feat

Hard to compare for me. Wilt's game was as close to perfection that anyone could have for one game, Joe's streak was more of an ability to stay focused for a long period of time.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2020 12:14PM

I think Joe DiMaggio's streak is more remarkable, because like JoeBanzai said, DiMaggio had to stay focused for a long period of time, but Wilt's 100 point game is definately an amazing accomplishment. Heck, on January 26, 1960, Danny Heater of Burnsville High School scored 135 points in a game, which is still a record for High School, and on February 3rd, 1941, an eighth grader named Bob Harrison scored all 139 of his team's points in a middle school game in Toledo Ohio, so these types of performances have happened before.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

No order...

1) Christian Laettner’s ‘perfect game’ against Kentucky - ends with full court pass from Grant Hill. MB are every shot and free throw attempted.

2) Reggie Miller’s epic comeback vs Knicks in final 10 seconds to erase 8 point deficit.

3) Jimmy Connors run at age 40 in US Open

4) Magic Johnson’s All Star MVP comeback

5) Mattingly (and Long and Griffey) homers in 8 straight

6) Mary Lou Retton gets the 10

7) the STILL unclaimed 1972 Men’s Basketball Silver Medals

8) Liston takes dive vs Clay

9) Nolan Ryan 7th no hitter

10). Every single time Larry Bird ever took the court.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Jack Morris pitching 10 scoreless innings game 7 of the 1991 World Series.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2020 3:08PM

Secretariat destroys the competition at the Belmont Stakes to capture the triple crown.

• Options

100 points in one game would impress me alot more if the guy was 6'2 instead of 7 ft tall lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    100 points in one game would impress me alot more if the guy was 6'2 instead of 7 ft tall lol.

Stick with tennis.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I think Joe DiMaggio's streak is more remarkable, because like JoeBanzai said, DiMaggio had to stay focused for a long period of time, but Wilt's 100 point game is definately an amazing accomplishment. Heck, on January 26, 1960, Danny Heater of Burnsville High School scored 135 points in a game, which is still a record for High School, and on February 3rd, 1941, an eighth grader named Bob Harrison scored all 139 of his team's points in a middle school game in Toledo Ohio, so these types of performances have happened before.

Let's not start comparing professional sports to middle school PLEASE.

I hit .400 one year in two different slow pitch softball leagues.......take that Ted Williams.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

I hit .400 one year in two different slow pitch softball leagues.......take that Ted Williams.

They're at the same skill level as their peers, and they're not over 7 feet tall like Chamberlain was.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

They're at the same skill level as their peers, and they're not over 7 feet tall like Chamberlain was.

Exactly. But unfortunately, not all people are born with common sense.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

True and some compound the problem with zero intelligence.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

I know. But stop selling yourself short :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

Please, do you want to reread what you wrote? I really enjoy many of your posts, but what you just wrote is exactly the opposite of what is a fact.

The younger an athlete is the less they are at the same skill level. The talent keeps getting more concentrated until the professional level. Every professional athlete was most likely (but not always) totally dominant in High School and College, but when they hit the pros, even the high draft picks, often don't become starters.

They are however all the same (similar) height in middle school, so how tall they are is meaningless. Your post actually points that out when you show that a child can score MORE points in a game than a much taller adult.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

I know. But stop selling yourself short :D

Surprised that you are already drunk this early in the day. Or still polluted from last night?

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Hey, those middle school kids you like were probably under 6'2". lol

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

Please, do you want to reread what you wrote? I really enjoy many of your posts, but what you just wrote is exactly the opposite of what is a fact.

The younger an athlete is the less they are at the same skill level. The talent keeps getting more concentrated until the professional level. Every professional athlete was most likely (but not always) totally dominant in High School and College, but when they hit the pros, even the high draft picks, often don't become starters.

They are however all the same (similar) height in middle school, so how tall they are is meaningless. Your post actually points that out when you show that a child can score MORE points in a game than a much taller adult.

I'm not saying a middle schooler is on the same skill level as a professional, I'm saying that a middle school player is on the same skill level as other middle school players, and Wilt was on the same skill level as other professional players. For a middle school player to score 139 points against other middle school players, is like Wilt scoring 100 against professionals. They're both playing against people on the same level as they are.

• Options

I get it, i get it.

Middle schooler's are NOT at the same skill level of other kids their own age, they are at the most UNEQUAL skill level and the skill level keeps getting MORE equalized as the athlete progresses through each level of competition.

Many times there is a kid on a middle/high school team who simply dominates every game and is just overwhelmingly better than the other players.

By the time you get to the pros, EVERY player was that kid, they are all big, strong and fast. Don't forget the years of experience they also have.

Wilt's accomplishment probably much MORE difficult that those kids' were.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I get it, i get it.

Middle schooler's are NOT at the same skill level of other kids their own age, they are at the most UNEQUAL skill level and the skill level keeps getting MORE equalized as the athlete progresses through each level of competition.

Many times there is a kid on a middle/high school team who simply dominates every game and is just overwhelmingly better than the other players.

By the time you get to the pros, EVERY player was that kid, they are all big, strong and fast. Don't forget the years of experience they also have.

Wilt's accomplishment probably much MORE difficult that those kids' were.

I see your point, and it's always fun to debate these topics!

• Options

Yes it is!