Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

...And then there were 8 (gold cac gold $20s) !!!

LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2020 11:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, 2 away from halfa box o’ twenty on my $20 Gold Cac Gold set and I have covered a lotta ground in the past 6 months switching my focus from Seated Liberty Dollars...

I’m now up to 8 and looking forward to more in the future!
So far I have been able to:
•add 2 Type I cac gold libs
•add 2 Type II cac gold libs
•add 3 Type III cac gold libs
•add 1 Saint Gaudens cac gold
•add the P, S, and CC mint marks

See the progressing set below!

Thanks and would love to know thoughts on the newest CC cac gold add as a nice dirty gold example! See below:

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that dirty gold! :love:

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 12:05PM

Since you asked :p these are my thoughts...

1. The coin is very unattractive. Getting the dirt off (proper cleaning/conservation) those coins before sending them in would get higher grades. For example, IMO, that 90-CC is closer to MS than to VF. VF-35 XF-40 XF-45 AU-50 AU-53 AU-55 AU-58 MS-60. The gold bean proves it. But I do understand that you are trying to collect under-graded coins for whatever the reason.

2. Over the last few years, Liberty Dollars are a much better "numismatic" pursuit. However, right now it is probably better to own gold and if the bottom falls out IMO, your $20 CC lib is going to be just another piece of bullion - nothing special. :(

Can we see a few of the dollars in your collection?

• Options
    edited April 7, 2020 12:20PM

Insider2,

A few years back, my SLD set was up to 24 pieces, but I came across the opp to buy 40 acres of land in the country... so I sold most of my set to my collector friends and never looked back 😢...

See below for a few of my old pieces that are now in my buddy’s collections safe and sound...

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Since you asked :p these are my thoughts...

1. The coin is very unattractive. Getting the dirt off (proper cleaning/conservation) those coins before sending them in would get higher grades. For example, IMO, that 90-CC is closer to MS than to VF. VF-35 XF-40 XF-45 AU-50 AU-53 AU-55 AU-58 MS-60. The gold bean proves it. But I do understand that you are trying to collect under-graded coins for whatever the reason.
    2. Over the last few years, Liberty Dollars are a much better "numismatic" pursuit. However, right now it is probably better to own gold and if the bottom falls out IMO, your $20 CC lib is going to be just another piece of bullion - nothing special. :(

Can we see a few of the dollars in your collection?

Insider2 - really appreciate the insight and thoughts above... just a question, but if the bottom falls out on Seated Liberty Dollars, what is the value of Silver in an SLD? :wink:

I agree, that overall, the rarity and such is a much better bet with SLD's, but frankly, if the bottom falls out of Numismatic values across the board, I would much rather be holding Gold for spot than silver... just my opinion at this current and very crazy volatile time in the world today... BUT, I still do and will always have a passion for Seated Liberty Dollars...

Regarding the 1890cc - I personally love the "dirty gold" look and wouldn't ever think of 'getting the dirt off' the same as I didn't clean or dip/ polish my SLD's when I owned them as I loved the 'original skin, toning, etc. of them in circ grades especially. I do enjoy the details of the collector vein that I am currently in regarding $20 libs gold, OGH or older holder, and gold cac sticker... it's a great challenge and takes a ton of patience and the premiums aren't too far off from spot, which is also worth it for the obvious reasons...

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts and I greatly appreciate your perspective! would love to have others...!!! :smiley:

• Options
    edited April 7, 2020 12:50PM

@Leeroybrown,

Reason I asked is because Randy has been giving talks at FUN about how well these coins have been doing and he believes they are good investments.

As for the gold, much better than silver to own. Additionally, a collectors "taste" for beauty is for each to decide. So I am in total agreement with ALL of your comments. :)

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leeroy- I love the new addition. CC gold is pretty fricken cool and the fact that she has the bells and whistles is even better. When the box of 20 is completed it will be pretty sweet. I want to see an O mint next.... I’ve never seen 8 side by side before. Heck it’s hard to even find one.... They seem to be in high demand so it’s pretty cool you’ve added so much in such a short time period. When I was buying gold bullion I got bored really quick and totally understand the allure of old gold. I may end up doin a $20 lib set when I’m done with my SLD set. I know how tough it was for you to sell off your Seated dollars (you had the best VF set I’ve ever seen) but the land was to good of a deal to pass up. On the bright side you always have visiting privileges for the SLDs I bought.

• Options

Here’s another that I used to own that I passed on to a good friends collection... 👀

• Options

Anyone else have thoughts on the 1890cc $20 gold cac pick up?

Grade?
    Quality?
    Thoughts on dirty gold?

• Options

t

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU-53 and sweet.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2020 5:18PM

I could probably turn it into at least an AU-50 to 53.

• Options

Yep, Insider2...

I agree with you. My guess was about an AU53

• Options

Not considering it being undergraded... what would you all grade it on quality? A+ being best and F being worst quality...

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great octuplets !
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• Options

Thanks SpaceHayDuke and SeattleSlammer!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

CC gold certainly has the cool factor, but this latest coin is not my favorite (aesthetically) of the ones you've amassed. You asked for opinions... :|

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    CC gold certainly has the cool factor, but this latest coin is not my favorite (aesthetically) of the ones you've amassed. You asked for opinions... :|

Thanks CoinJunkie!!! Preciate your feedback!

• Options

CoinJunkie,

Which is your favorite outta curiousity???

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown said:
    CoinJunkie,

Which is your favorite outta curiousity???

Hard to say without going back to the previous threads for the close up photos. That 1894 looks very clean in the group shot at the top of the thread.

• Options

This one has the best eye appeal IMO... 1897-s, but the 1894 is very nice too...

• Options

• Options

There’s the 74... also nice

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation on the new addition. Nice group of dollars and $20’s.
    I love the look of the 1890 cc. Can’t wait to see it in hand. I would leave it the way it is, the dirt and grime speak originality.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to see a cc in there. Wtg

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

CC gold is always great...heck, gold is great... The CC is a special bonus. Dirty gold is fine...I will not offer a letter grade, since I consider that a matter of personal taste....I like it and congratulations on a really nice coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

The 90CC is a wonderful looking coin. Congrats. Love your collecting them.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options

This thread rocks!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the gold... Especially the 1890-cc. A thread such as this really serves a purpose to at least illustrate what original gold looks like. Further, there is value in originality and to suggest that coins like this are mere bullion pieces and should be enhanced to obtain a higher grade is misplaced as well as repugnant.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2020 10:57AM

Thanks for the reaffirmation @SethChandler and @Coinkat! Appreciate that! I love original gold $20 Libs too! ...in any grade!

Its just so hard to find $20 libs that haven’t been doctored in some way...

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 90CC Gold is a true Wild West coin. Looks like it has been in a few bar fights, looted , buried and recovered.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Interestingly enough, the 1890-cc also seems to be a late die-state as well... see the die breaks through a loup? Anyone ever hear of a “broken F” on a 1890-cc late die state?

• Options

anybody else like old gold!!!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love what you are building. I like the old crusty CC. People many moons ago bought things with it. It didn't just sit in a bank vault its whole life. Can you imagine how wealthy you would feel with a $20 DE in your pocket back then?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@Sandman70gt

I know right! I love to think about the stories the circulated original coins can tell!

Thx for the comments!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leroy
    I love the look of those twenties.
    I don’t understand why anyone would do anything to them but enjoy them. Perfect just the way you have them
    Congrats

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Leroy
    I love the look of those twenties.
    I don’t understand why anyone would do anything to them but enjoy them. Perfect just the way you have them
    Congrats

Thank you sir! Much appreciated!!

LRB

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

As most have said they are beautiful just the way they are

• Options

I love the dirty old gold, this is all I have that's similar:

• Options
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Asheland
    Has your twenty been to CAC? Seems like a coin that may do well

• Options

Looks nice, Ashland!!!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those "dirty" gold !!! <3

Timbuk3
  • Options

Me too, Timbuk3

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@asheland said:

Asheland
    Has your twenty been to CAC? Seems like a coin that may do well

It has not. But when I’m ready, it’s definitely going!

• Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

I love your „old dirty gold” – as a european I would also like it without a box 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file