Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Collectors’ Perspective on Pioneer Gold

First of all, we want to thank everyone for the great response to our first interview "A Collectors’ Perspective on the Coinage of Charles Barber"! Today, we are excited to bring you the next installment, "A Collectors’ Perspective on Pioneer Gold". We've included one question from the interview below and hope you'll check out the rest!

Q. I understand you collect Pioneer Gold coins. Can you explain what Pioneer Gold is, and why you have such a connection to it?

A. Pioneer Gold comes from a group of individuals who struck coins and provided a service when there was a major need. People like Norris, Kellogg, Moffat, and Baldwin, they were instrumental in keeping the economy of the West going. Individuals at this time didn’t trust paper; they wanted the hard asset. Prospectors and miners could take their dust and nuggets to be assayed, refined, and struck by these individuals. I think my connection to it comes from my personal family history. My third great-grandfather, William Henry Pratt, was a pioneer and set off by himself from the East Coast to go to the minefields. He was one of the early individuals to prospect, arriving in the [San Francisco] Bay Area in February of 1849. He became a major entrepreneur, owning stores, hotels, and was a marketer who became instrumental in building up the communities in Northern California. I am really big into family history, so having these coins that are a direct connection to my family is intriguing.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/collectors-perspective-on-pioneer-gold

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m personally a fan of southern gold, which was the original pioneer gold. Some hard to obtain gold tokens made before the branch mints. Heck, just getting the branch mints was a fight. The Appalachian gold rush was a big reason why so many went to that area in the late 1700s and early/mid 1800s. It also came with its own costs to native peoples and the environment.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! I have one humble example..

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some awesome Carolina gold! When CV19 is largely in the rear view mirror and the economy a bit more stable, I’m planning on acquiring some good Charlotte gold. Maybe some Dahlonega. For some reason, I like Charlotte better. :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a difference between pioneer and territorial? Pioneer western, territorial eastern?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the article. I have a few Pioneer gold coins that I have had for decades.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Thanks for the article. I have a few Pioneer gold coins that I have had for decades.

Agree. In reading the article there did not appear to be included the name of the collector being interviewed - can it be provided?

The interviewee's reference to the "gold dust" book that he acquired with the names of all the miners still providing gold to the San Francisco Mint in 1898 could be a valuable source of information that might shed some light on who was the burier of the San Francisco minted coins in the Saddle Ridge Hoard.

The most recent of the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins were dated 1894 so the miner hypothesized to have obtained many of the uncirculated coins contained in the Saddle Ridge Hoard from his gold deposits to the San Francisco Mint may well be on that list!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

Let’s see them! >:)

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@golden said:

Agree. In reading the article there did not appear to be included the name of the collector being interviewed - can it be provided?

The interviewee's reference to the "gold dust" book that he acquired with the names of all the miners still providing gold to the San Francisco Mint in 1898 could be a valuable source of information that might shed some light on who was the burier of the San Francisco minted coins in the Saddle Ridge Hoard.

The most recent of the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins were dated 1894 so the miner hypothesized to have obtained many of the uncirculated coins contained in the Saddle Ridge Hoard from his gold deposits to the San Francisco Mint may well be on that list!

To the OP - a PM would be welcomed.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any pioneer gold...may have to look into that segment of gold collecting. Thanks for the article... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Is there a difference between pioneer and territorial? Pioneer western, territorial eastern?

I think Territorial is a misnomer, but the term caught on and was used in the numismatic realm for over a century so it stuck. Territorial would seem to imply coins struck specifically for use in a territory, which these are not. Many privately made issues show markings for where they were struck, like a mint mark.

IMO “pioneer” or “gold rush / private issue” are more accurate labels.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Just part of the joyful vagueness of the English language. I can remember when everything in the Redbook before the 1793 Half Cent was called "Colonial," even though large chunks of it came after 1776, or after 1781, or after 1783, or whenever you wish to recognize America's Independence and the end of the colonial era.

I recognize "Pioneer" and "Territorial" as interchangeable in common usage, and I recognize that others might disagree. If somebody discovered gold in Puerto Rico tomorrow and started issuing $50 slugs, they would be "Territorial" but not "Pioneer," and wouldn't that be fun???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browsing Collector's Corner for California territorials.
    Looks like a new player in dealers.
    Minshull Trading. Not familiar but nice offerings. :)

https://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=47475348

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Browsing Collector's Corner for California territorials.
    Looks like a new player in dealers.
    Minshull Trading. Not familiar but nice offerings. :)

https://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=47475348

That's a lot of really decent inventory. Aa new player in the pioneer field?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I did ... but I don't have any Pioneer gold.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@Smudge said:

I think Territorial is a misnomer, but the term caught on and was used in the numismatic realm for over a century so it stuck. Territorial would seem to imply coins struck specifically for use in a territory, which these are not. Many privately made issues show markings for where they were struck, like a mint mark.

In the strict sense, "territorial" means an area that has not yet become a state.

For Georgia and Carolina gold, they were minted during the statehood phase of those areas, so calling them "territorial" is not really accurate.

Some California gold could be called "territorial" if dated 1849. California became a state in 1850, so 1850 and later California gold isn't really "territorial".

All Colorado gold (Clark-Gruber, JJ Conway, John Parsons) could be considered territorial since Colorado did not become a state until 1876, long after private minting of gold ceased.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2020 4:02PM

@dcarr said:

@OriginalDan said:

@Smudge said:

In the strict sense, "territorial" means an area that has not yet become a state.

For Georgia and Carolina gold, they were minted during the statehood phase of those areas, so calling them "territorial" is not really accurate.

Some California gold could be called "territorial" if dated 1849. California became a state in 1850, so 1850 and later California gold isn't really "territorial".

All Colorado gold (Clark-Gruber, JJ Conway, John Parsons) could be considered territorial since Colorado did not become a state until 1876, long after private minting of gold ceased.

Sure, I see how the term could be used in that way, especially back when the U.S. was still adding states. As you pointed out, the narrower definition doesn't always fit. I like "pioneer", I think it fits the broader group people are usually referring to. To each his own, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file