Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The fallout from a lockdown is......................an orderly collection!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak for anyone else but some of the positive fallout from the current lockdown/shelter in place order is turning out to be an orderly collection. Sure, I'm doing other stuff to stay busy and active but whenever I take a break or go online it seems I find myself going through what hasn't been gone through in a while, boxes that are disorganized and coins/medals I haven't seen in months.

This morning is a good example of my current multi-task mode. My GF is at a friends home helping strip and replace some wallpaper and the puppies were napping so I got busy. I did a few chores and started dinner in the crock pot before tacking the last three boxes I have to sort through. I started "Crazy Heart" on the DVD player, got some coffee and the phone so I wouldn't have to get up and had at it. Now all that's left is some scattered odds-and-ends and everything is where it should be, ready to be found when I need/want it. I even ended up with several coins I've been meaning to submit but forgot about. They'll be ready when PCGS opens up again.

So what about you, have you done anything similar lately??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm about half way through running about 1000+/- maverick trade tokens that came out of 500 pounds or so of bulk exonumia against tokencollector and other search options with about half ending up with identifications and half not. I'm slowly sorting & cleaning out one of 2 1/2 rooms in the office that is packed with the back end of most every deal I've bought in the past 20+ years (the old 80-20 ratio at play again). Off course I've been telling dealer friends for several years that I am doing this but when you keep buying you automatically end up back filling what you do clean out. This time will be different? I'm still getting 25-40 low end eBay auctions up per day with a number of sleepers mixed in. I have a list of 40+ major topics to research and some promised articles to write. That's a start only...

I can also tell you about every murder, double murder, betrayal, serial murder, spree murder and other related nefarious acts after having I.D., Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours and every other bloody real crime show on in the background for two plus weeks straight.

• Options

my GF likes to watch that stuff so by association I watch, too. I told her that between the two of us we should be able to plan the perfect crime.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve decided to recatalogue my Spanish Colonial collection. Have spent a few enjoyable days revisiting old friends and standardizing the storage envelopes. Almost all are now weighed and properly catalogued. The next thing is to order them in boxes and make sure I can find the specific coins I need when giving a talk.

When these are done I will move on to another collection to keep busy.

Beyond that I finished reading a book on Cortez/Montezuma and began one on Potosi.

Next week should give me time to continue research on a project.

Still, would rather be able to return to normal........

Stay healthy everyone.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing some things around the house... weather is warming up so outside projects about to begin. Have not even begun to address the coins... Keep promising to go through wheat cents, mint sets, albums etc.. But other things pop up and away I go.... :D Easily distracted, but never bored. Actually enjoying the time without many external distractions...My wife is really good company, I have made a resolution to spend more time with her :D:D;) .... Going out shortly to have some work done on a firearm...and stop at the market on the way back. Wow... big time activity today... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got under the hood of my jeep this weekend and did some fluid maintenance and patched an air intake leak until a replacement part arrives this week. Washed it a bit to knock the pollen off and threw the doors off and drove it around for a couple days...the wife got a ride to the local Brewsters and we got some ice cream for a lockdown break.

The deck will get some pressure washing done this week as well as the Georgia pollen is no joke.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife just finished her quarantine (exposed as a nurse, never got sick). She is basically furloughed for a month as the facility she works does mostly elective surgery, so they will open 1 day a week, and she is giving up her hours to the single moms, etc.

That being said, our house has become an explosion at a Pinterest factory. Crafts, projects, everywhere. I have heard the sewing machine in use more for the last 2 weeks than in 38 years of marriage combined. The yard has a ton of new plants, pots, gravel, paver stones, etc. Right now, I have a 3/4 ton 8' bed truck and it is loaded with more rock, sand, etc. for more projects (for her).

I am attacking my 3 car garage with is my warehouse for my car business. Ebay gave 50,000 free listings (my normal is 250) for March and April, and I am listing everything out there.

I figure the whole COVID thing was a plot between Charmin and the Dogs of the world to keep people home.

• Options

a plot between Charmin and the Dogs.

this is sort of funny because I tell my GF it's Charmin and nothing else. I have no vices, so I figure I should indulge myself with that one teeny pleasure!!

on the topic of no Coin Show which is a concern for us all, about 1-2 years ago I started a thread about a "Virtual Bourse" or something like that wherein someone could host a Coin Show online during a Sunday afternoon, maybe from 10AM until 4PM. participating dealers would have link their inventory, buyers as well as dealers would have to be approved and registered and someone would have to set it all up.

it wasn't received with much enthusiasm but you know what they say about hindsight!!! had it been done then it would probably be a rousing success today, held once a month.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small desk in my room that essentially collects junk and at Christmas, holds my Christmas tree. Yesterday I set it all up as my workstation for painting miniatures. I play some games that you have to assemble the little figures and paint them all up before you can play. I've also got a WWI English Whippet Tank that I want to try my hand at, never done anything like that before!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I can't speak for anyone else but some of the positive fallout from the current lockdown/shelter in place order is turning out to be an orderly collection. ...

So what about you, have you done anything similar lately??

I'm discovering I need to get out more, and not now, but when things are normal. I'm working from home instead of commuting, so that routine is only different in that I sleep a little longer and don't drive anywhere. When I'm not doing that, my routine is pretty close to the same as it always was, no real new-found time on my hands, which means I'm normally living like a shut-in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file