Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Little Piece of Americana - Part 2 - 1783 Washington & Independence GR Edge Cop Restrike

Kindred4uKindred4u Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited April 5, 2020 10:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given the current state of our country, I thought I’d add a post of another item in my collection. Let’s all remember our great country and where we started all those years ago.

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are probably interesting and perhaps its my monitor but really all I can see are two round black circles. Do you have any pictures that lighter and show more detail?

Mark

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't see the coin.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2020 12:03AM

@Mark said:
    The coins are probably interesting and perhaps its my monitor but really all I can see are two round black circles. Do you have any pictures that lighter and show more detail?

I brightened the coin area in the following photo. I kept it to the coin area as otherwise I would need sunglasses!

Here's what it looks like when the entire photo is brightened.

• Options

Here are mine. They are lower condition but I got them because they are off center.

• Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

I hope this doesn’t sound like a stupid question, but I don’t know much about these.

The date on the label is 1783. Is that when they were restruck? If so, when was the original date of striking?

Very cool coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins ....Very nice off center strikes....and two of them.... did you find them searching coin shows? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Zoins ....Very nice off center strikes....and two of them.... did you find them searching coin shows? Cheers, RickO

Thanks! They are the only two I've ever seen. I did find them searching, but on eBay :)

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Capstick said:
    I hope this doesn’t sound like a stupid question, but I don’t know much about these.

The date on the label is 1783. Is that when they were restruck? If so, when was the original date of striking?

Very cool coins.

There is a family of Washington & Independence tokens, dated 1783, which includes the Unity States, Military Bust, and Draped Bust coppers. They are believed to have been made around 1820; proofs were made for collectors, in both copper and silver in the mid-19th century in England.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2020 9:51PM

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@Capstick said:

Very cool coins.

There is a family of Washington & Independence tokens, dated 1783, which includes the Unity States, Military Bust, and Draped Bust coppers. They are believed to have been made around 1820; proofs were made for collectors, in both copper and silver in the mid-19th century in England.

I've read this too and the restrikes are certainly do come in high grade, but I wonder why there would seem to be so many well-circulated pieces if they were just made for collectors. Has there been any discussion of the circulation pieces in the made for collectors discussion?

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did circulate, likely in both Britain and the U. S. There was a shortage of copper coins in both countries in the early 19th century, so unofficial tokens were used in commerce. The proof pieces are a different story--these 'restrikes' were made decades later.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file