Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible 1999 d ddo penny????

Can't find any information about this

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 8:09AM

Thst coin has everything except a doubled die.

Machine doubling, die deterioration doubling, exposed zinc from the copper plating being stretched or dragged...

That coin is 11 years old. Presumably if there was as DD it would be recorded by now and you'd be able to find pictures to compare to on the variety sites.

That's my take, anyway....

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason you cannot find any info is that its not a double die, what you have is called split plate doubling - where the copper plate splits during the strike. That is why you can see the silver zinc core next to the letters of Liberty and in other areas the copper is bunched where the copper was stretched but didn't fully split.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DuRbLIFe214 Me thinks it's time to study up on what you are searching for. Use the Google to find lots of images of various types of doubling, dies and otherwise. Doubleddie.com, errorvariety.com, lincolncentresource.com to name just a few. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DuRbLIFe214 ....Welcome aboard....You have your answer above.... This forum has many of the top experts in all areas of coin collecting...Have fun...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Thst coin has everything except a doubled die.

Machine doubling, die deterioration doubling, exposed zinc from the copper plating being stretched or dragged...

That coin is 11 years old. Presumably if there was as DD it would be recorded by now and you'd be able to find pictures to compare to on the variety sites.

That's my take, anyway....

It's 21 years old @JBK . Time flies when you're having fun ;)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thanks:) it's nice to actually get back into I can actually trust.. I appreciate it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file