Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the point?

I am always keeping an eye on PCGS certified Standing LIberty Quarters in AU 58. I do this in hopes of snagging an upgrade. For a very long time, a widget in AU58 no FH has been popping up in my searches. The value of the coin is around $ 170 in the PCGS Coin Values. The coin is priced at over 3x that much. The coin is nothing special from a toning standpoint or for originality. My question is simple. What is the point in listing a coin at a really high price? I am just trying to ascertain if there is a method to the madness. Spare me that "any person can list anything at whatever price they want" nonsense. I get that. mh

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sucker is born every minute... They hope that a clueless person will buy. Or that you will negotiate with them.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 7:31AM

I know of a few people who do this over and over and over hoping one day they catch a fish

I might add, don't overpay for this. I just recently purchased and sold a partial set of SLQ in PCGS / some NGC 64-66FH , and honestly the price brought about sheet, some a little over, some a little under. Most of these were pretty darn nice too. Guy had paid strong for the group about 27k over the past year or two. I offered him 18k at first but he passed. He Went to a dealer in Raleigh that told him he pay 22k , but when he got up there , the dealer pulled the old "cant do it" Ill be at x, so he brought them back too me. We settled at 18.5 , and let me tell you how much I made on this deal 550.00 bucks!!!
    Only bright spot, I was able to keep one coin for my self (not free, but at a price that was favorable If I ever need to get rid of it)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're one step ahead of you.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the world of coins (and other collectibles) P. T. Barnum's famous saying would have to be revised: "There's a sucker born every minute and FOUR to take them.dd'

Ignore overpriced coins. The vast majority of US coins are actually quite common. There is no reason to pay premium prices for anything ordinary.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cause he is secretly trying to mess with you and it looks like he has succeeded.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyman set?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many are 'fishing' for a sucker.... will even negotiate a bit to set the hook....Do not overpay...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep fishing for a sucker, some sellers are very comfortable in their fishing spot and will not budge until they land that fish no mater how long that may take.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 8:36AM

“Why is a good upgrade candidate priced higher than I want?”

Maybe the seller agrees with you.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ... fishing for a sucker.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you guys seen the obscene prices on etsy?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file