Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Liquidity or Coin Collection?

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's April 4, 2020 and, in many ways, I am lucky that I still have my job with a record 6.6M filing unemployment last week but I am fearful of the economy and impact unemployment (and general consumer sentiment) will have on many industries. No one really knows the long term effects over the next few years. I have some options to sell some of the more valuable coins in my collection to free up cash and to either save the money or pay down debt. It's amazing how quickly my financial outlook changed from overall exuberance to thoughts on this potentially being a Great Depression 2.0.

I love my collection but I am leaning towards selling just because I don't want to be in a worse position later on down the road. I'm sure others feel the same way and, if so, you're not alone!

Nothing more to say on this topic other than I'm scared right now!

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:
    It’s alright to be scared. It’s alright to have a plan.

m

I agree with both of these things if kept separate. You don't really want to make a plan that is too strongly influenced by fear.

Yep

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you feel the price is fair and you can live without the items I see no reason not to sell. Whether or not you will feel different in the future is an unknown.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 11:10AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    No one asked my advice, but here it is: If what you are considering selling falls in the "widget" category, sell it now. As I define widget, it isn't a price issue it's an availability issue. An S-VDB in any grade including lower MS are widgets. If you really want one, you can get one today. A $100 so-called Half dollar or token isn't necessarily a widget if it has limited availability.

Cash is always king. Widgets can easily be replaced.

In the end, I would do whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Where can I buy a 1909 s vdb at a great discount cause it’s a widget ? 😄

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the answer depends upon your individual assets and debts. Most Americans only had enough savings to last 1-2 months at most. My advice to them would be different than to someone who had 12+ months of savings (in cash) saved.

Only you know where your comfort level is and your asset/debt ratio. If you have enough assets and can anticipate keeping your employment for a while and your overall debt isn’t burdensome, I’d say hold pat and not overreact.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 11:23AM

@TurtleCat said: "I think the answer depends upon your individual assets and debts. Most Americans only had enough savings to last 1-2 months at most. My advice to them would be different than to someone who had 12+ months of savings (in cash) saved.

Only you know where your comfort level is and your asset/debt ratio. If you have enough assets and can anticipate keeping your employment for a while and your overall debt isn’t burdensome, I’d say hold pat and not overreact."

Who could disagree with this well thought out and mature response? Nice to see that some immature attention hound has not posted: "Sell, sell, the sky is falling! Oops. :p

PS I'm working on two big boxes of C/F's - one US and one foreign. Taking hundreds of images to post this coming week. :)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS I'm working on two big boxes of C/F's - one US and one foreign. Taking hundreds of images to post this coming week. :)

What are C/F’s ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I just posted. US from colonials to gold. I'd like to own a bunch of them. Hand cut dies, casts, electros, no deceptive T$. A bunch of neat Capped Bust fakes, shield nickels, and 3c. A few Hennings and micro O's. I Just started the foreign. So far a bunch of contemporary 8 Rls.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2020 11:38AM

Just came upon this:

Baldwin & Sons envelope: 1832 Go,MJ 28.4 gms (false) 26/1/93 L 3- How much was that in '93? Worth at least $100 today.
    Let's move this to when I post images.

Sorry for thread hijack! Very sorry!

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my Opinion. If I were considering selling, I would sell right now, don't hesitate. This may go on for a while, and the longer it goes, there will be more thinking along your lines. Get the money while auctions and prices are still seemingly strong You could use Great collections, Legends or similar with faster turnaround time.

I have some nice pieces, but I enjoy mine. So I am keeping those. I already parred down long before this hit, and am now glad that I did.

Im ok with cash on hand , so I don't have too fortunately, but if I wasn't I would have considered doing the same

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

If you got out when the Dow was below 20k, you lost money you wouldn't get back if you stayed in.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I myself have decided to sell extras and some more common material. Mostly on ebay, a bit here on the forum in the near future. With the current situation I'd rather have more liquid assets over coins. Even then some modern Rolex's in the 10K range are more liquid than a 1909 S VDB in MS66RD. Same "value", very different audiences. For my watch buyers I can make a few calls and have a deal done in hours, not always the case with coins.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, get rid of the "ordinary" coins (the widgets) but keep any that are true rarities. There is no recent precedent for this type of economic situation. Will it drag out for many months or will it end rather quickly as did the 1918 "Spanish Flu" pandemic? Once it does end, just how much economic damage will have been done?

I don't know what you will encounter if you try and sell into this market. It may be a very unpleasant experience.

Cash is king. Lenders may be somewhat sympathetic early in this crisis but that may change if they find themselves getting into financial trouble a few months down the road.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

You do what ever needs to be done to survive.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    If you got out when the Dow was below 20k, you lost money you wouldn't get back if you stayed in.

but what if you get back in when the DOW is below 10k?

What is in your coin collection? that would determine what I did with it.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 3:36PM

Do whatever you feel is best.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 2:39PM

This too, shall pass...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    No one asked my advice, but here it is: If what you are considering selling falls in the "widget" category, sell it now. As I define widget, it isn't a price issue it's an availability issue. An S-VDB in any grade including lower MS are widgets. If you really want one, you can get one today. A $100 so-called Half dollar or token isn't necessarily a widget if it has limited availability.

Cash is always king. Widgets can easily be replaced.

In the end, I would do whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Where can I buy a 1909 s vdb at a great discount cause it’s a widget ? 😄

As I said, widget status has nothing to do with price, it's about availability.

There has not been one day in the last 50 years where you couldn't get a VDB with a phone call.

An MS64 Saint is a widget. It costs more than a circ SVDB. still a widget.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    As others have said, get rid of the "ordinary" coins (the widgets) but keep any that are true rarities. There is no recent precedent for this type of economic situation. Will it drag out for many months or will it end rather quickly as did the 1918 "Spanish Flu" pandemic? Once it does end, just how much economic damage will have been done?

I don't know what you will encounter if you try and sell into this market. It may be a very unpleasant experience.

Cash is king. Lenders may be somewhat sympathetic early in this crisis but that may change if they find themselves getting into financial trouble a few months down the road.

I have a friend in the mortgage industry. He said that he had a dozen home purchases get canceled a few weeks ago and they are looking to tighten up standards for new loans. I dont think banks will be lenient in coming months. My outlook is bleak for those who are financially unprepared, sadly many were already just living pay check to paycheck. Some their fault, some blame to be placed on no one teaching to to save. 2008-09 I nearly lost it all, back then I had no knowledge of saving, budgeting, or investing.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

If selling some coins would make you sleep better tonight do it. You can always keep your very special coins to rebuild with when the time is right.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best time to sell is when you don't have to. Chances are that you'll get chances to buy them back cheaper as more and more folks in your situation may be forced to sell.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Evaluate your financial status... debts, assets, obligations, resources. Once you have totally tabulated those figures, look at the situation as worst case and plan accordingly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shorter the horizon until funds run out, IMHO, the more concerned about liquidity I would be.

This.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Sell down to the sleeping level."

Vplite99
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 4:41PM

Sell only if you NEED to, in order to keep yourself afloat.

Otherwise, I'd batten down the hatches and wait for calmer seas, before making any rash decisions. JMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:
    Do whatever feels right. For me, that means after Skynet sanitizes the USA, I'll promote my own neo-FUN in a bombed-out convention center in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, everyone wearing gas masks and armor, playing with all the best coins nobody could afford when the planet was hospitable to human life. So, at least you can take comfort that there will always be a market.

... and wait for the caller who advises, "I'll be back."

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to sell, then don't worry about how much money you would lost but how much you would save. Having a $10,000 credit card debt is a lot worst than selling $20,000 coin collection at a discount.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Scared Club. Your not alone in this nightmare. Just don’t let fear set in and overcome you. Things will improve over time. They have to....,right? Find something to divert your thoughts. I’m building a highly detailed model of a Porsche 911. Airbrush paint job and all. It’s been good. Doing some yard work as well. Back to playing with jets on Monday. 🙁
    If your having some financial pressures I would suggest parting with your collection if it will relieve some of that pressure. I wish you the best and remember your not alone. I hope you find some relief here.
    Take care!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you’ll have no regrets later, sell.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a good time to "make sauce" or "syrup", I can't remember the word saintguru used.

In other words, keep your best and sell the rest.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2020 12:52PM

Difficult decisions and one size does not fit all.
    As things are now, I will not be parting with any of my collection for a few reasons.
    It's mostly common and I would realize too much of a loss selling, both in money and psychologically.
    Or, the small money gained would be too much offset by regret.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule of diversification applies here. Always have plenty of cash reserves. Years worth is what my financial adviser recommends. Utility stocks with high dividends and of course PM's to sleep well at night. Oh, and plenty of toilet paper.

I recommend holding your collection if at all possible. You can enjoy it years from now. :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 11:42AM

There's a lot you can do in the hobby without any funds.

For example, iIt can be fun to collect a fantasy set of TrueView images and research the provenance and opinions of the coins, similar to what @Currin is doing to track the Hansen collection..

@MrEureka recently posted a thread on a doing a competitive fantasy registry set too.

You can collect with low funds too. For example, I've been liking raw, uncirculated Civil War tokens recently.

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Another way to look at it, with all the people stuck at home maybe more people will be looking at auctions, GC, eBay? Of course this could be offset by those who have temporarily lost their jobs. Hmmm......

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 1:21PM

While I have a combo of bullion based (not a bad idea collect them) and numismatic coins I believe in liquidity. Especially now. Never let coins cause debt or threaten liquidity. Bullion based coins are the most liquid. Don’t gamble, incur debt (especially if material to your over all financial position) on coins going up, then it’s a gambling addiction which will eventually force you to go broke. Keep this in mind 1972-1989 coin market nowhere to go but up a well off dealer setup next to me said recently - but 1989 to now nowhere (except for minor blips) but down he then said. Bullion had its peaks and valleys.

Leave the coins beyond your budget or gut feel level of comfort for the wealthy.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file