Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pony Express 160th Anniversary!

JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2020 9:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Today is the 160th anniversary of the beginning of the Pony Express, which lasted until October 24, 1861. Post anything Pony Express related.

(1976) Franklin Mint medal, History of the United States series, silver, 45mm.
American Numismatic Society, 1977.264.85

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
American Numismatic Society
New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly was an amazing endeavor...Way stations set up for fresh horses and rider changes...Never did hear what they paid these guys....Cheers, RickO

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2020 9:40AM

Here is a link to my previously posted thread offering a photo essay on the subject of The Pony Express as it related to both Carson City and the unique appearance of the 1861Paquet Reverse $20 gold piece escaping into circulation from the San Francisco Mint.

Had the almost completed continental telegraph line been completed the message to halt the release of the coins would have reached the San Francisco Mint faster than the Pony Express was able to deliver the message. As it is a handful escaped into circulation before the Mint could be alerted.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/914924/remembering-the-pony-express-at-the-carson-city-mint-a-photo-essay/p1

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, @1northcoin ! Thanks for sharing!

1966 Pony Express medal issued by the National Commemorative Society, struck by the Franklin Mint, designed by Michael Lantz. Silver, 38mm.
    American Numismatic Society, 1966.195.1

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

This marker is located in downtown San Francisco and was placed during the 1960-1961 centennial of the Pony Express.

San Francisco Pony Express plaque

Usually the Pony Express route ended in Sacramento California where the mail was transferred to boats headed to San Francisco.

However the agency had a land route between Sacramento and San Francisco which was used around 20 times when the riders missed the boat in Sacramento.

The land route went through Benicia, via water ferry to Martinez, then through Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Orinda, and to Oakland where another ferry took the mail to San Francisco.

The towns of Lafayette and Orinda are very proud of their connection to the Pony Express and have installed markers commemorating the service.

Pony Express monument Lafayette, California

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gazing at the 2017 solar eclipse (approx. 92%) along the Pony Express trail in desolate Northern Nevada

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the starting place of the Pony Express in St. Joseph, Missouri a few years ago. Very cool.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if any riders out there have tried to do the route again if it is even possible. I'm talking like a leisurely stroll tracing the route across the country on horseback.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about your road butt! I wonder what type of horse was the best in the open trail? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool! I have always been fascinated by the Pony Express.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2020 4:47PM

Awesome medal @tokenpro !! Love unique stuff like that!

1952 Pony Express Medal, issued by the Society of Medalists, struck by the Medallic Art Co. Bronze, 71mm. Designed by James Earle Fraser.
    American Numismatic Society, 1988.124.43.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep them coming!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was not aware of the history. Thanks

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

Great medal for Guy Wigdon!

The medals for Leo Petit and Louis J. Collister are in this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/991098/1923-wells-fargo-pony-express-race-gold-medal#latest

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is some interesting history. I wouldn't have thought each pony lasted about 10 miles. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

l

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/991098/1923-wells-fargo-pony-express-race-gold-medal#latest

Guy Wigdon rode several legs through Kansas in the 1923 race.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 7:05PM

There were only 1,000 struck by the Philadelphia Mint and 960 were given only to the actual rider's in the 10-day reenactment. 960 riders, 480 in each direction. Most carried only a pistol and their own signed Bible with them on the trip.

And for Ricco, the best combination:

The Rider's were paid a staggering $50 a month, real money in 1860, but the Pony Express only only lasted 18 months.

The 1960 US Mint Pony Express silver medal along with a 1960 Colt Army single action revolver presentation version. (I don't have this one yet)

edited April 4, 2020 7:42PM

Nice set @Goldminers .

Did the 1860s pistols look like that?

I looked up a few and they look different, especially the part before the cylinder.

Edit: I see the pistol in the set is a 1960 pistol not a replica of the 1860 one.

Here's an original 1860 pistol, currently available for $4995.00.

https://www.1898andb-4.com/guns/u-s-colt-1860-army/

This article has a lot of good photos:

http://varnumcontinentals.org/2019/01/samuel-colt-and-his-legendary-model-1860-army-revolver/

edited April 4, 2020 8:05PM

@tokenpro said:

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

Guy Wigdon rode several legs through Kansas in the 1923 race.

Good note. In Kansas alone, the following 26 riders participated. The 3 bold names below are the ones for whom medals are known.

1. Carence Main
    2. Johnnie Carter
    3. Dr. J. W. Cook
    4. E. W. Lee
    5. Louis Collister
    6. Jack Casement
    7. John Collister
    8. Leo Petit
    9. Carlotta Lamer
    10. Lowell Faulkner
    11. Melvin Wheaton
    12. Levi Schermerhorn
    13. Milton Wheaton
    14. John Parker
    15. Warrena Bowlby
    16. Robert Crawford
    17. Charles Welch
    18. John Brewer
    19. Gale Taylor
    20. Guy Wigdon
    21. Charles Berry
    22. John Fenno
    23. Fred Sussex
    24. Johnnie Hixon
    25. Fritz Bradley
    26. Alvie Frazier

It's interesting that out of the 3 of these medals I've seen, all are from riders that rode in Kansas.

Is Maynard Dixon known for any other medals?

Originally posted by @Killdeer who inherited this from his grandfather Louis J. Collister:

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

This is a great thread, my dad worked for Union Pacific railroad and was stationed in Faust, Utah, right on the pony express trail. I can’t tell you how many times I rode my bike down that dirt road with my plastic cap gun pretending to be chased by indains delivering the mail on horse back. There are several monuments along the trail and we stopped often to read them. I think I found a new niche to collect. Thanks for the posts everyone.

Nick

edited April 4, 2020 8:44PM

C. Smith issue from 1947.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing everybody. That would’ve been such an amazing job to have!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

This was roughly 32 years ago, I wish I had a close up of the pony express plaque I’m standing in front of. I need to take a drive and see if it’s still there.

Nick

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to 4th grade in Gothenburg Nebraska, one of the Pony Express stops on the trail. My father was building a concrete grain elevator for the local Co-op. When the job was done, he and another man outlined and painted a Pony Express logo on the sides of the elevator so that drivers on the freeway could see it travelling either east or west. IIRC, there is a museum in the middle of town dedicated to the Pony Express.

edited April 4, 2020 9:41PM

@tokenpro said:

Very nice medal!

Can you provide some information on who is C. Smith here? Looks like it was struck by Benjamin S. Whitehead and Chester R. Hoag.

edited April 5, 2020 10:19AM

@Zoins said:

Edit: I see the pistol in the set is a 1960 pistol not a replica of the 1860 one.

Here's an original 1860 pistol, currently available for $4995.00.

https://www.1898andb-4.com/guns/u-s-colt-1860-army/

Thanks for the links. Those are great antique original pistols. The 1960 one I posted is modified so it is not a percussion cap and ball type like the originals. The 1960 can shoot modern ammo. The new version is the one several of the reenactment riders carried in 1960. Some were also sold with 3 of the Pony Express Medals in the case in addition to the special one given to the riders. There was one 1960 US Mint medal minted in platinum and 2 in gold. No idea for sure where they ended up.

I think the 1923 and other reenactment medals posted above are really amazing and clearly very hard to find in gold.

• @tokenpro said:

Do you own this?

@nk1nk said:
    This was roughly 32 years ago, I wish I had a close up of the pony express plaque I’m standing in front of. I need to take a drive and see if it’s still there.

Nick

That's awesome! It would be great for you to go bak and take a photo with the same pose now.

I'm inspired to go there now.

Yes. Unless mentioned otherwise I try to only post images of items that I own or that I've handled & imaged through my 50K eBay transactions.

An interesting coincidence -- the sample of John Ford's handwriting on hotel stationery in another thread has "C. Smith, Historian, Azusa CA" as one of the notations.

• @tokenpro said:
    Yes. Unless mentioned otherwise I try to only post images of items that I own or that I've handled & imaged through my 50K eBay transactions.

An interesting coincidence -- the sample of John Ford's handwriting on hotel stationery in another thread has "C. Smith, Historian, Azusa CA" as one of the notations.

Willing to sell it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file