Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Casual Coin Annoyances

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize we've all collectively got a lot on our plates, and indeed, this thread isn't to take away from the serious side of our lives, yet I thought it would be interesting, if not distracting, to ask what your coin annoyances are.
For example (and again, this isn't going to light the world on fire with its importance) mine is dealers/sellers who describe their coin as "LowBall." Instead, they offer a damaged, holed, scrapped up POS under the guise anyone who collects worn coins must find their offerings attractive and desirable. Annoying!
Yours?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree it hard to be annoyed about anything at this point in time. There are so many acts of kindness going around it is too bad we can't offer hugs of thanks.

So I guess my annoyance is that I have to stay distant from those who share an interest in coins whether collectors or dealers.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2020 12:44PM

Cleaned coins!! :p

And someone that does a good job at it.

Ken
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2020 1:15PM

Getting a present day, freshly holdered coin back from the TPGS that's loose and rattles & rotates in the holder because they used the wrong size gasket. Then I can't complain to them because they are closed due to CV.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic snobs, I am way annoyed with the Kool-Aid kids.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit coins. Especially when they look really genuine.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who say. “ What I’m doing isn’t really cleaning a coin”.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Seen that to many times. Will make do though :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a dealer quotes a price and uses that filthy four letter vulgar word. FIRM.

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

When coins are described as having golden hues, whisps of ......., all this descriptive bs only to find the ugliest coin you could imagine that is of course undergraded!!!!!!

I agree every once in a while a coin is so PQ , awesome etc, but come on, evety other coin, freshly graded mind you,

Well, i dont even bother with their website anymore!!!!!!!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this happen twice at the same show from different dealers. I asked both dealers if I could look at an old gold coin. I looked at both coins for a few seconds and said thank you. Both dealers turned to me and said “what’s the matter, that coin is not good enough for you”. WTF.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you ask to see a coin and the dealer replies "you can't afford it".

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I had this happen twice at the same show from different dealers. I asked both dealers if I could look at an old gold coin. I looked at both coins for a few seconds and said thank you. Both dealers turned to me and said “what’s the matter, that coin is not good enough for you”. WTF.

I have had this happen to me a few times and my reply was, "No it's not, I don't like the look of it in hand".

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Artificially toned junk. It is, and has been for a long time, all over ebay and perpetuated by the same half dozen dishonest sellers.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

People exuding putrid body odor at coin shows....

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2020 11:00PM

Sellers who care only about photographing the slab, not the coin. This normally results in a) lousy, low-res photos of the coin and b) photos where the reverse of the coin is upside down so that the slab label is right side up.

Why would I or any other buyer want to see upside down photos of a coin?!

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

The fact that Heritage archive searches default to "Best Match" rather than "Most Recent".

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have given up on coin annoyances... some of the above bothered me for a while....but some years ago, I realized, people have different perspectives and like different things, people have certain terms and hobby vernacular that makes them comfortable in discussions, and, like art, not everyone finds the same items attractive. So, I just move on through and save my stress levels for something that may really matter. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have given up on coin annoyances... some of the above bothered me for a while....but some years ago, I realized, people have different perspectives and like different things, people have certain terms and hobby vernacular that makes them comfortable in discussions, and, like art, not everyone finds the same items attractive. So, I just move on through and save my stress levels for something that may really matter. ;) Cheers, RickO

The song "Break on Through" by the Doors seems to apply here.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a show and if there are chairs for dealer customers and If you so happen sit in one of these chairs, please push the chair into its rightful spot when leaving the table so the chair does not clog the aisle. Not to be a bigger pain than my usual self, I repeatedly see this problem over and over again and again.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    When you ask to see a coin and the dealer replies "you can't afford it".

Could tell the dealer in reply that he's got cheap coin for beginners. Fwiw

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Ebay sellers who describe every date and mintmark in a series as rare or key date!

That's my biggest gripe on anything being sold! Most people think because it's older than they are, it's RARE!!

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ever increasing number of ‘sponsored’ results in any ebay search I attempt.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holders with scratches and scrapes over the viewing area (I hear there’s a way to fix this, but need a scrap/low value slab to practice on first).

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 11:55AM

Grading cases for dealers. (i.e no prices marked)

I swear I could take 100 coins of a series that I know squat about.
    Lay them all in a case and wait for somebody to ask to see them & then quote some ridiculous price.
    After that I take the top 10 most asked about coins and submit for regrade & sell them on the internet.
    Is this what dealers do at shows now?
    Unbelievable waste of time.

end rant<

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealers that see I am checking for varieties and tell me to leave! I have only encountered 2 in all these years, but just grinned and told them how stupid they were for not knowing squat about their coins!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 11:59AM

@Dave99B said:
    When I go to a major coin show, I usually can’t get close to one dealers display case. It happens EVERY TIME. Most times it’s the dealer with the most interesting inventory. Some overweight guy wearing his mustard-stained T-shirt inside out is always sitting at the table, with all his crap spread out strategically on top of the case. Briefcase, greysheets, hot dog plate, you name it. Usually he’s chatting with the oblivious dealer about some obscure topic. People are pooling up around the table trying to get a peek, to no avail. I normally walk off and return in an hour or two, assuming the guy will have moved on. Nope. He’s still there.

Ah, I feel so much better now.

Dave

I have no evidence, but for some reason I always get the feeling that these are the people who think they're somehow going to get rich and us little people are a nuisance. Again, nothing to base that on, it's only the vibe I get.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 12:33PM

I have developed a rather thick skin over the years and learned a lot on the bourse and from this forum in refining that. If anything I don’t like players who try to horn in on a deal I am trying to finish like at a show from my table.

Beyond that recognize there are all types of participants in numismatics with varying opinions, financial resources, collections / inventories, and behavior which just goes with the territory. Just deal with it. My goal - Practice common sense, develop a strategy, sensible budgeting, good professionalism, and heads up security. Don’t get in over your head especially with risk or debt. It’s not worth it. You never know what the future will bring. One thing you want to minimize is depression later down the road over past decisions leading to suffering later in life. Listen to your gut feel, caution, whatever.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the above!

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    Holders with scratches and scrapes over the viewing area (I hear there’s a way to fix this, but need a scrap/low value slab to practice on first).

Agreed! Reading these posts, I was thinking nah, nah, nah until I got to this one. It does indeed bother me that people will go to the trouble and expense of having coins slabbed - or buy them that way - and then not protect those slabs. It is a true pet peeve!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2020 5:37AM

Many good complaints above sound too familiar. Lol. Me, being the cherry picker that I am. When I frequent a shop/store. When I ask to see a certain coin or set, then I noticeably check it out with my loupe. Then I hand it back to them after saying, " No thank you!". Many dealers will right away ask if I want to see some more of that same item. I love this when It happens ! The dealer can obviously see I'm seeking for a specific one. Esp. when the dealer has the time or no other customers.
    Now, this is what irks me. When I have to ask to see more of that same item. I feel by him/her not asking me If I wanted to see more of that same item, that they would start to be angry or start to lose their patience with me if I did ask! I figure, by them noticing I wasn't satisfied with the original item, they would right away know I would want to check out more? Then, I wouldn't have to ask and feel worried If I did. Maybe not? Maybe, it's just me? If it is, I'm truly sorry. I'm just saying this is what annoys me. Good thread! :)B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file