Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Dealers report big shortages bars & coins (Bloomberg)

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good article.

Those who persist in believing that there is a huge gap between “paper” and “physical” should pay attention to this paragraph, which summarizes a point I have have made in other threads: “Size is a key reason for the crunch. While there’s plenty of gold in a big trading hub like London, banks and other institutional investors there typically use large bars of 400 ounces. That’s not practical for a regular person who may not want to cough up more than $600,000 for a single bar. Instead, retail investors prefer kilobars (about 32 ounces), 1-ounce bars and coins, or something even smaller.“

Higashiyama
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a large demand right now for small bullion - bars, coins, rounds... The demand could increase as ready availability shrinks....With demand, comes premiums.... ;) I am holding for now... but the future? I am not easy, but I could be tempted.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

By the way, at the Bank of England Museum in London, there is a display where you can actually hold a 400 ounce gold bar. It’s worth a visit!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinWeek Classic: APMEX Displays 400 Ounce Gold Bar at ANA World’s Fair of Money 2014

https://youtu.be/I1WUVPh4yl8

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

That’s very similar to the BOE display. Quite a heft!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it does hit $2000, I have a few 1oz coins I will be selling (for son's upcoming college). If that happens, and I do sell, $2500 is probably coming up right behind it!
    (last silver run, I sold ~$30/oz and then it went up to almost $50 if I recall, not long after)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

That is how it usually works, hope you and family are well @Bochiman

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    CoinWeek Classic: APMEX Displays 400 Ounce Gold Bar at ANA World’s Fair of Money 2014

https://youtu.be/I1WUVPh4yl8

They had something like that in the Mel Fisher museum in Florida years ago, glad I was able to handle the bar when I did - a couple of years later someone somehow managed to get it out of the case it was in and made off with it. :'(

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIG shortage lol 1.7 million listings on eBay right now.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@SaorAlba said:

@1630Boston said:

They had something like that in the Mel Fisher museum in Florida years ago, glad I was able to handle the bar when I did - a couple of years later someone somehow managed to get it out of the case it was in and made off with it. :'(

Here is the story:.............Two held in heist of treasure museum. Stolen $550,000 gold bar still missing.
    The gold bullion was lost beneath the sea for more than 350 years before being salvaged and displayed at Mel Fisher’s Maritime Heritage Museum in Key West.

For more than 20 years it could be touched and lifted by visitors. Then the $550,000 gold bar vanished, stolen from its secure display in August 2010.

The rest is here
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-gold-bar-arrest-20180129-story.html

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting read on a tragic story, greed never fails to disappoint. Thanks for posting.

Collector of Classic US Coins