Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rattler Binge -- Just a Picture Post

2»

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my . . . . .that Mormon Gold.

I had a chance to buy the Doily Mormon Gold when it first surfaced here in Utah . . . and passed. It may still be my biggest regret. It has gone up in price and ventured around the country a bit . . . . . . . . .

I believe I know where it is now . . . and perhaps someday ?????

Drunner

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Great coins and slabs, thanks for sharing all

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    Oh my . . . . .that Mormon Gold.

I had a chance to buy the Doily Mormon Gold when it first surfaced here in Utah . . . and passed. It may still be my biggest regret. It has gone up in price and ventured around the country a bit . . . . . . . . .

I believe I know where it is now . . . and perhaps someday ?????

I hadn’t heard of the doily Mormon gold. What are the details of the coin, year, grade, etc.?

I bought mine in 2006. Once the pandemic is behind us, I plan to ship it to CAC.

• Options

I believe 1849 $5. It was a VERY noticeable piece . . . . struck VERY weakly along about 50% of the obverse . . . .dies misaligned. It is a G4 piece . . probably net-graded due to the obliterated obv. strike . . although otherwise about F-15.

I think it is still out there in the Doily . . heard a rumor it was cracked . . but then an owner told me 'no'.

Drunner

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    I believe 1849 $5. It was a VERY noticeable piece . . . . struck VERY weakly along about 50% of the obverse . . . .dies misaligned. It is a G4 piece . . probably net-graded due to the obliterated obv. strike . . although otherwise about F-15.

I think it is still out there in the Doily . . heard a rumor it was cracked . . but then an owner told me 'no'.

Drunner

That sounds like an awesome piece!

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

My rarest rattlers.

Not as special as George's MS Jefferson set, but the minor coins in proof after 1964 are really difficult. Both of these are pop 1/0, any no more will ever be made!

• Options
    NPONPO Posts: 31 ✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    My rarest rattlers.

Not as special as George's MS Jefferson set, but the minor coins in proof after 1964 are really difficult. Both of these are pop 1/0, any no more will ever be made!

Question. How do you know these are POP 1? Thank you!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have many rattlers, and not the best images, but my point comes across;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2020 11:20AM

I have many but few photos of the slabs themselves, this is one that I bought from the BST. These are the sellers photo I need to take some new shots someday. Once I received it I polished out most of the scratches and It looks almost new again.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NPO said:

@KindaNewish said:
    My rarest rattlers.

Step 1: get a copy of the September 1989 PCGS population report.
    Step 2: look up the coin in question.

If step #1 is not possible, find someone who has a September 1989 PCGS population report and try to bribe them with candy or shiney things and ask them nicely if they would share some of information contained within.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@KindaNewish said:

@NPO said:

@KindaNewish said:
    My rarest rattlers.

Step 1: get a copy of the September 1989 PCGS population report.
    Step 2: look up the coin in question.

If step #1 is not possible, find someone who has a September 1989 PCGS population report and try to bribe them with candy or shiney things and ask them nicely if they would share some of information contained within.

@KindaNewish Thank you very much! So what do you need to be bribed :) out of your September 1989 Pop Report!?

• Options

@Mercury said:
    Working on a set of Peace Dollars in Rattler Holder.
    Not all are Rattlers.

Don't Stop! I have 7 left to complete a set. Best of Luck!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my Rattlers .

Ken
  • Options

Beautiful . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    SkyMan . . . . yes, a touch!

I still owe you some of the titanium from that wreck. I have had it in a manila envelope for 5 years . . .guess I should get on with it !!!!

Drunner

Oooh, I want some too! We talked about it at a Utah coin show, once upon a time.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@KindaNewish said:
    Just finished the rattler proof Mercury set today.

That's AWESOME!! Congrats!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple gold on gold.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file