Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What's the date on this Mexico 8 Reales?

What's the date on this Mexico 8 Reales?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1810/09

That third digit has got a lot of shapes sharing the same space. IMO. Can we see the whole coin? At some point. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1810/09

Based on the bust I think it is a Ferdinand VII portrait and not a Charles IV so 1800 dates are out.

Ill go with 1810/09

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares - probably a counterfeit anyway

Darn. Didn't see the 1810/09 before I voted, and now it won't let me change. :s

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1810/09

1810/09 all day imo.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020 5:27AM

Seller had it listed as an 1810/09 and I agree. Looking forward to studying it when I get it in-hand. Pretty strong example of this O/D.

Here are seller's images. I want to take a closer look at the assayer initials, as well, to see if this is possibly an HJ over TH. Double whammy would be neat.

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭

Does the planchet flaw visible at IND . REX on the reverse make the planchet bulge a bit in that spot on the obv (aka right at the overdate)?

A sibling:

@realeswatcher said:
    Does the planchet flaw visible at IND . REX on the reverse make the planchet bulge a bit in that spot on the obv (aka right at the overdate)?

A sibling:

Nice. I didn't have that one cataloged - do you know where / when it was sold?

I'm still waiting on the coin to arrive and i'll post measurements with a more detailed description and will confirm the planchet bulge once i receive it.

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭

One of the Spain houses... just scanned quickly for 1810 09 (few others, bad pics).

BUT... check the Aureo Leunda sale - Nov 2011, #371. Just a screenshot, see huge file pic on their website (Aureo has done a lot of work on their auction archive... digitized images instead of just the catalog PDFs):

Found it - Cayon Rapida 21 Lot 660. I thought i scraped the archives for this overdate, but i saw a few more that escaped me before. The Leunda example looks like a nice AU. There were quite a few nice coins in that sale.

A few more:

Cayon Feb 2009:

Cayon Feb 2012: