Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any second thoughts about the Samoa Bat quarter?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2020 10:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Bad timing?

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

BAT timing..

It would seem to be, I yes, considering bats are considered a culprit for today’s Covid-19 woes.

It’s the “Old Man of the Mountain” state quarter curse all over again.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upon further review, I still like it. Bats seem to have been but one means of transmission among many.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I missed getting the civet cat quarter back in 2002.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a side note I found my first bat quarter in change today, a Denver mint example in rather poor condition.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

The Samoa Bat quarter has to be one of the most interesting designs I have seen in such a long time.

We need more interesting designs like this, I've seen way to many Tree's on these quarter's.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 7:12PM

A bat is only partially to blame for this. Blame the idiot somewhere in China in October who ate uncooked/undercooked pangolin meat.

The quarter is super cool and I love it. That says something as I have not really liked any of the parks quarters til now.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

"In bat coin collecting as in bat climbing, remember, safety first Robin"

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bats can be fun.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the design.... I have several now and a roll of the S Bats as well...I have been intrigued by bats since I was a kid....in the summer months, we would go out after sundown when the bats were flying and toss home made 'parachutes' (small, made with a weight and a white cloth) into the air.... occasionally, a bat would swoop in to grab one and be pulled to the ground by the weight...we would rush over to capture it in a gallon jar...we kept them for a few days, feeding them bugs... then would release them (they do create a stink after a while). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

We were talking about the bat quarter long before this happened

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

My son took us out to see the "Bat Bridge" down in Austin, TX last fall - - pretty cool to watch them fly out en-masse at dusk & flitter all around the downtown buildings in search of insects!

Unfortunately, not a SINGLE bat-quarter has shown up in my change, nor ANY OTHER 2020 coin yet - - it could be a very lean collecting year, given all that's going on......... :(

Stay healthy & safe, everyone!!

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done the bat bridge in Austin. Pretty cool at dusk when they all fly out for the night.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Help me out here. Why are the quarters being bought and sold on the BST for $36 when you can buy them from the Mint?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Help me out here. Why are the quarters being bought and sold on the BST for $36 when you can buy them from the Mint?

You cannot buy the ones minted in West Point from the Mint

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. So if that’s the case, why would the West Point quarters not be widely distributed?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 9:48AM

@MilesWaits said:

You can buy the P and D quarters for 99 cents on eBay.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Thank you. So if that’s the case, why would the West Point quarters not be widely distributed?

Because the Mint is making small amounts of them by choice.

This is from the original W quarter Mint announcement:

This year, however, the Mint is producing approximately 1% of the total circulating quarters at West Point, making the “W” mint mark quarters the first of it’s kind. This is a limited initiative, so go search for your W quarter today!

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/mint-releases-first-ever-w-quarters-into-circulation

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Someone get so upset about it they punched this one in the eye.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's more likely the virus jumped from bats to livestock, then to humans. But people are probably going to protest quarters and baseball equipment, anyway.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout bat tartar, a loaded baked potato and a nice side salad! Yum. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Is this THE END?
    Will the Quarter make a COME BACK?

Check out the EXCITING conclusion next month...

Same BAT-TIME!
    Same BAT-CHANNEL!

You managed to be the Riddler and the Joker all in one post. Well played! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file