Home U.S. Coin Forum

What it takes to be a good coin CUSTOMER

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've read posts ad nauseam of what attributes a ....dealer.... should have.

Anyone want to venture a post on what attributes a customer should have? B)

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    Understanding that it's the seller's coin, and they can ask anything they want. YOU can say "no, thank you", but you don't have the right to rant, rave, or complain about it.

Perhaps you haven't seen enough dealers buy coins from other dealers. I don't think I have ever seen collectors behave so rudely as some dealers who are on the buying end.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omitting politics and religion talk in any transaction. Dealer may not like your views and raise the price. :) l

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector (buyer), I feel like the best I can do is try not to waste sellers' time. I try to be specific about what I'm looking for, and only ask about things I would actually buy. I try to be educated to make quick decisions and recognize fair prices. I also value convenience, i.e. if the LCS has some bullion widget I am looking for I might be willing to pay a few extra $ vs "web price" to take it home right then.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

A happy wife!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020 8:44PM

From whose point of view? Buyer or seller?

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Know your subject, don't ask too many questions, don't be too gabby

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    As a collector (buyer), I feel like the best I can do is try not to waste sellers' time. I try to be specific about what I'm looking for, and only ask about things I would actually buy. I try to be educated to make quick decisions and recognize fair prices. I also value convenience, i.e. if the LCS has some bullion widget I am looking for I might be willing to pay a few extra $ vs "web price" to take it home right then.

For sure. I do my best not to waste anybody's time. My time is very valuable and I'm pretty sure people I buy coins from have/make significantly more, and I really don't wanna waste their time.

I like being a flexible customer idk. At the end of the day, people put up with me, so cool. They must have a lot more patience than I do, god save them. But I'd rather spend an extra $50 and have a positive transaction and build a network of people. I'm always happy to support small businesses and independent sellers. And people here are really good people and help me when needed. I don't think I'll be buying on ebay ever again.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ability to read an ebay listing and not just look at the pictures.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:

Good point about wasting time.
    So many people obviously know that they have 24 hours in a day but think you have 30.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    As a collector (buyer), I feel like the best I can do is try not to waste sellers' time.

It depends on the dealer and the situation. If a dealer is busy, I agree that you don't want to waste the dealers time but if things are slow and there no other customers, many dealers enjoy visiting with a customer to pass the time. Of course there are a few anti-social dealers that don't want to do any more than conduct business but most dealers are sociable when time permits.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good customer just has to be a customer period. I don't care if said customer is a major Rectum! At the end of the day it is your job to sell the coin. No customer no sell.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am only a buyer....When I had coin shows and shops to visit, I would view the products - if none interested me, I would walk on...If interested in a coin, I would ask to see it 'in hand' and evaluate the qualities that interested me. I may or may not ask for the price - If price is acceptable, I pay... If not, I walk. Usually not interested in sales talk, (car salesmen hate me)...General conversation, when warranted, is fine. Show me the coin, I will show the money - if I like it. Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being right, because the customer is always right. ;)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Courtesy honesty money a keen eye and knowledge. Wisdom goes a long way as well

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not spread all your stuff ( briefcase , want list, whatever) all over the dealers cases so nobody else can look at the cases. Also do your business and move on

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:

I disagree. The dealer is selling, if they do not have time to educate a customer and develop a good (potential) long term relationship then I am not interested in buying from them. I am in sales. The last thing I ever do is assume a customer has the correct information. They are either under informed, over informed, or many times badly informed. Very few are perfectly informed: that is very few know as much or more than I do about what I am selling. My best customers, which are many times repeat customers: purchase from me because I worked with them to fully understand their situation and I made proper customer centered recommendations.

As far as dealers at a show, or maybe just common bullion purchases, yes sometimes KISS is the best method for both parties.

Personal example: I am not going to purchase raw unslabbed coins from a dealer that has not proven to me I can learn from their grading and explain any misunderstanding I may have. I am not going to purchase Morgans or bullion from random dealers that might not make me comfortable that they have made sure the products are authentic.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:
    every dealer wants dogs for clients, not cats or rabbits

I'll take the rabbits. :D

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fat wallet and poor eyesight...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be polite.

My dealer always knows what I want when I walk through the door. To hand pick all of his 90% junk silver.

Do not interrupt or be a distraction when the dealer is talking to another customer.

Pay cash.

Thank them for their time and assistance before you leave.

@isaiah58 said:

@fastfreddie said:

I disagree. The dealer is selling, if they do not have time to educate a customer and develop a good (potential) long term relationship then I am not interested in buying from them. I am in sales. The last thing I ever do is assume a customer has the correct information. They are either under informed, over informed, or many times badly informed. Very few are perfectly informed: that is very few know as much or more than I do about what I am selling. My best customers, which are many times repeat customers: purchase from me because I worked with them to fully understand their situation and I made proper customer centered recommendations.

As far as dealers at a show, or maybe just common bullion purchases, yes sometimes KISS is the best method for both parties.

Personal example: I am not going to purchase raw unslabbed coins from a dealer that has not proven to me I can learn from their grading and explain any misunderstanding I may have. I am not going to purchase Morgans or bullion from random dealers that might not make me comfortable that they have made sure the products are authentic.

Well, I agree with what you say. As I read the question what makes a good customer (in the eyes of the seller/dealer)...

Dealers I think expect some buyer knowledge as they are constantly answering silly questions. A knowledgeable buyer always helps with the transaction; especially at a busy show. I have never really felt like I have had close relationships with any seller in part because I have bought from many. Some people are more patient than others. It's not their responsibility to educate and teach grading and/or price.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    Not spread all your stuff ( briefcase , want list, whatever) all over the dealers cases so nobody else can look at the cases. Also do your business and move on

That REALLY applies to coin shows. The coins are in cases. The cases can be easily covered by a briefcase or greysheet or other junk. I often feel like shoving the crap on to the floor.

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@fastfreddie It's not their responsibility to educate and teach grading and/or price.

Then who's job is it? How does a LCS help create a healthy customer base of collectors? Maybe this is why some LCSs have trouble making money, as bullion sales is all price based and does not have enough much margin for the quantity most of them deal in.

I think it's been said many times to learn to grade for yourself by looking at as many coins as possible and understand the pricing structure for the specialty you collect the best you can. Yes, I would love a dealer to help teach, some do, but you can't expect it IMO otherwise you may be disappointed. Some are better than others so find the ones you are comfortable with. If you are quite knowledgeable and can talk turkey about something then they should be able to have time provided you are a willing buyer. Some potential buyers have little to no knowledge and expect an education at every turn. Some dealers may indulge but I feel many will give you the cold shoulder.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Pay up on the deal or get out

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 8:44PM

You sense they are a winner the minute they walk up to your table.

A 5 star player with money:

Wad of Bens, wife with positive attitude encouraging him to buy, decisive, no haggling. Or if haggle respectful, asks for discount no more than 5pct.

I had been having a really bad show at Greenspoint decades ago getting worse by the hour somebody had even tried steal from me. Had sold a total of $4 worth junk coins. Dealers grumbling people coming in door broke. About 150 slabbed coins in case, no sales. Even had some joker ask me if he could take a junk box Coin priced at 95c down aisle and get opinion told him NO. A friend setup on other side of room had a Swiss 20 franc gold coin stolen. A walk up seller (touting how he is a master gold collector) offered me a raw $2.50 Indian Set in Capital holder most of them fake. Told him “get lost No interest, appear fake.” He walked off in a huff.

Then a guy described at very top above and his wife walked up and he bought several thousand dollars worth slabbed coins - Walkers, Dollars, Commems.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money, fast payment, and not too much haggling.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Witty but wise, courteous with deep pocket yet reasonable with counter offer (not more than 2's) and loyal ;)

• FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

A good collector must be willing to lose money now a days.

Collector
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@No Headlights said:

That REALLY applies to coin shows. The coins are in cases. The cases can be easily covered by a briefcase or greysheet or other junk. I often feel like shoving the crap on to the floor.

Agree completely. And in my experience, its the vest pocket dealers with no table and regular dealers that violate this point the most (by far).

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file