Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just found these in the office

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a box of stuff I bought a year ago and forgot about. Thought they were pretty neat and I looked at the inflation on what the checks would be today, and wow talk about some big checks for that time period!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 5:05PM

Great pieces.

I have been buying some old checks lately signed by famous people of their era. A lot of these checks have multiple endorsements on the back. Be sure to try to decipher the signatures and Google the names.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat! The CC check is pretty cool.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Great pieces.

I have been buying some old check lately signed by famous people of their era. A lot of these checks have multiple endorsements on the back. Be sure to try to decipher the signatures and Google the names.

That's the plan for tomorrow evening. It would be neat to trace someone back to then. I only pictured some of them. I have about 200 different checks, but it isnt like I dont have plenty of time

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

@kaz said:
    Neat! The CC check is pretty cool.

I agree out of all the ones I have I thought that one was the coolest. And if you look up the inflation about for today for a 3500 dollar check from that year I believe it's like 80 thousand dollars

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the handwriting on those 1833 checks is unreal!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

The handwriting stands out in a big way 👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payment in gold coin! That's what I'm talking about. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020 2:14AM

On pre-Civil War checks from NY (esp 1850s) look for this flamboyant signature.

It is Francis E. Spinner, who was in various banking roles in New York state, and from the Civil War onward he served as Treasurer of the US.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

People took pride in their penmanship then. Now cursive writing isn’t even being taught.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

What language are these checks in?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is cool but it would be cooler if I could read the writing,,,,,, just say'n.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a deposit slip for $60,636.60 for the Erie Canal. Endorsed by a future Governor of New York and treasurer of the Canal Company, William C. Bouck.

I paid $1.25 for it, plus $3 shipping on eBay. I was the only bidder.

thefinn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The penmanship of those time is truly incredible....could almost be termed 'art'. Very interesting old checks indeed... I doubt future historians will look at our checks of today with the same interest. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file