Home Precious Metals
Options

No Gold/Silver OR just restricted access to reserves?

isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2020 3:03PM in Precious Metals

Many businesses in NY are shut down, with limited access even to Wall Street. The same thing going on across half the country. I wonder, exactly where do the largest bullion dealers store their bullion and subsequently ship it from? How many keep products on site with producers and drop ship orders?

This shortage might not be due to there not being bullion available, but it's not being accessible?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

on-line transactions are up and running.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few dealers Ive talked to have had packages returned and marked "COVID-19". Our best guess is that they were shipping to "non-essential businesses", and packages couldn't be dropped off or even attempted to be delivered.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supply only seems to be 'drying up' at small dealers/sites that naturally had limited 'on hand' inventory. The delivery chain may also put a crimp in large suppliers ability to deliver. The metals are still out there...just panic driven issues right now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some dealers drop ship, and some ship direct. I suspect that it depends on availability and market conditions.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I did read an article on Comex today. It covers that there is a fraction of physical compared to contracts. It also said that it is impossible for anyone to take delivery. They are not accepting or sending out anything due to the shutdown. There are several articles and videos alluding to how both things are affecting the current physical market.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think most retailers are having trouble with deliveries for inventory. The big guys seem to be weathering it for the time being.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not accepting or sending out anything due to the shutdown.

Even in "normal" times, there are several hoops to jump through if you want to take physical delivery from the Comex. On the same level as a root canal.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.