Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 Morgan & Peace Dollars

TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

What are the thoughts about this possible legislation?

coinworld.com had an article about this.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly it won’t happen because they are limited to two commemoratives and they’ve already been picked. Unless they change the bullion SAE to use the designs (which I don’t expect) I wouldn’t count on it. The mint probably knows it would sell well but Congress doesn’t care.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would be a nice item... but only in silver...not in clad. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Talking about 90% silver like the originals.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Sadly it won’t happen because they are limited to two commemoratives and they’ve already been picked. Unless they change the bullion SAE to use the designs (which I don’t expect) I wouldn’t count on it. The mint probably knows it would sell well but Congress doesn’t care.

What two commemoratives?

• Options

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

@TurtleCat said:

What two commemoratives?

“ Last October, Congress passed the Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Coin Act of 2019 (Public Law No. 116-65) to be issued in 2021. In December, they passed the National Law Enforcement Museum Commemorative Coin Act (as part of Public Law No. 116-94). With two commemorative coin programs in 2021, there is no room for the 1921 Silver Dollar Commemorative Coin Act.”

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 11:22AM

I don’t think I will be interested in either. :/

• Options

I see low sales for those programs in 2021.

• Options

Well, politics and what we collectors want are generally separate things.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reality is that the 1921-2021 would have had more interests with collectors but the legislation passed by congress is not always about collectors. And as a result the mintages for the congressionally approved commemoratives will be low.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would accept them in clad at this point.
    They could still issue them as medals right? I wouldn't mind having no denomination on them, instead of one dollar it could say 1oz fine silver or similar

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Yes, I’m pretty sure there is no restriction on medallic offerings. I doubt they would do it, though, and many collectors may not want a medallic version without the denomination listed.

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I’m just wishing they’d produce modern commem. halves in silver again 😢
    There’s the GW and the Madison. That’s it. I refuse to buy clad halves. Never. Ever.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't buy them if they did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file