Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Augustin Dupré Medal Dies, Proofs, Medals, and a Sketch

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Augustin Dupré passed away in 1833 and in 1888 William S. Appleton purchased a Dupré collection from his descendants in Paris. The collection includes 27 items, comprising medals, proofs, dies, medallic portraits, and a single sketch.

The collection also includes 2 framed, gilt plaster proofs of the Libertas Americana medal.

Here's info on this collection and photos of one of the dies:

https://www.bpl.org/archival_post/dupre-augustin-1748-1833-collection/

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what such a collection would be valued at today... in it's entirety. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

A number of institutions in the U. S. and France got chunks of the archive (letters, sketches, coins, …) in 1888 too. A group of something like 200 items was sold at auction by Bonhams in 2014. John Kraljevich won it (I think he was the sole bidder) and then dispersed the items by direct sale. He put a selection of them on his website, back when he was active as a retail dealer.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I wonder what such a collection would be valued at today... in it's entirety. Cheers, RickO

Not near as much as the gold Washington Before Boston medal also held by Boston Public Library.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

@ricko said:

Not near as much as the gold Washington Before Boston medal also held by Boston Public Library.

Is it confirmed they are still in possession of this? A while back someone mentioned the gold medal went missing on the ATS message board.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file