Home U.S. Coin Forum

so-called 1915-s unc buffalo nickel on eBay -- look fishy to me.

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you run across this 1915s buffalo nickel on eBay, that appears to be unc, beware!! looks like one of those china counterfeits.
already 10 bids at $62.00 and less than two hours to go before the auction ends. It is a pretty good job by whoever made it.
I will track this and post the final bid total.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

16 minutes left and up to over $160

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

The motto LIBERTY is wrong as it is weak and shallow on the 1913 - 1915 issues and then completely redone for 1916 to make it much stronger. On a real buff from this era the bottom of the Y does not tilt to the left like this one does but is straight up and down. Well it just went to some lucky “bidiot” for $212.50. The lucky winner will be happy to know that
    there is no return privilege for this “coin” or rather “co n” and that a grand total of just seventy cents will be charged to the winner for shipping and handling. Me thinks the seller knows well what he just did.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an OBVIOUS fake.

@koynekwest said:
    That's an OBVIOUS fake.

As far as I know my friend “KOYNEKWEST” was the first person I ever heard using the the term BIDIOT.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

On the one that was sold last week pointed out above by daveswessen notice that there is no F under the date and the numerals in the date are a little higher as you go from left to right in the date. Also the shape of the numeral “5” is wrong. So I guess this guy is really feeling his oats now having sold a pair of these.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

I wonder what other goodies this clown has. As we both know there's Chinese fakes for any date/MM combo for anything one might want. And even some stuff that doesn't exist.

The owner of this coin and myself went over the diagnostics last night after the auction closed and he then told me that he contacted the buyer and said that the coin was not genuine. He thanked me for letting him know and also told me he got a large quantity of these from someone else. So all ended well except for the seller I guess cause it looks like he himself got snookered by some unethical seller.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller sold an "Accented Hair" Kennedy half dollar a couple of weeks ago and knew to call it that. Hard to believe he would list this Buffalo as a "Very Good+++++".

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm anxiously waiting for the new "accented hair" Buffalo when they get around to making it................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good detective work. One of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum.

'15-S Buffalo nickel is in high demand. I once sold an acid date '15-S on ebay for $10, the most I have ever gotten for any of my beautiful acid dates.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you, Buffnixx!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch, and glad it worked out for the 'winner'...We will see if the seller returns with more fakes...Cheers, RickO

edited March 25, 2020 7:44AM

@koynekwest said:
    I wonder what other goodies this clown has. As we both know there's Chinese fakes for any date/MM combo for anything one might want. And even some stuff that doesn't exist.

As I recall some chineese mint-masters were selling complete sets of buffaloes, all mints and dates for around $150 on eBay.
    They were supposed to have the word COPY on them to the surprise and delight of some they did not have this word copy.
    Once missing the word copy they became counterfeits. eBay eventually outlawed this but they still turn up now and then,
    like this one did. The only one they did not fake was the 1913 type one for some reason, from all three mints.

When these so-called copies where in there prime on eBay they were selling for between $2 and $5 each.
    The prime years for these pieces was 2000-2010.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:

@koynekwest said:

As I recall some chineese mint-masters were selling complete sets of buffaloes, all mints and dates for around $150 on eBay.
    They were supposed to have the word COPY on them to the surprise and delight of some they did not have this word copy.
    Once missing the word copy they became counterfeits. eBay eventually outlawed this but they still turn up now and then,
    like this one did. The only one they did not fake was the 1913 type one for some reason, from all three mints.

When these so-called copies where in there prime on eBay they were selling for between $2 and $5 each.
    The prime years for these pieces was 2000-2010.

Learn something new every day.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
    edited April 14, 2020 5:25PM

There were 44 bidders and the winning Bidiot payed $212.50 for it.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Betcha they thought they got a helluva deal on that one!

@koynekwest said:
    Betcha they thought they got a helluva deal on that one!

YUP! Bet he is getting ready to send his score to pcgs as soon as they reopen.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file