Home U.S. Coin Forum

Admiral Dodson's Yap Stone Money

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2020 8:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just saw that CRO is carrying Admiral Dodson's Yap Island stone money formerly owned by Rear Admiral Dodson.

It looks quite nice compared to other pieces I've seen. And unlike some, this one can be carried around!

https://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=search&task=det_item&item_id=191772

Yap Stone Money
Ex Adm. Dodson Collection
As Made [Uncertified]

1.75 pounds, 5-7/8" x 5-11/16".

For the first time ever on this site (or on any other coin dealer's site that we can ever recall), we are delighted to present an example of the primitive stone money from the Micronesian island of Yap (located approximately midway between Guam and Palau, both of which your author visited frequently in the 1990s while on non-numismatic business).

And this is an incredibly charming piece with pretty golden brown color, a neat stepped ring tapering to the edge and of a size that one can actually transport and display without requiring a forklift or causing a back injury and/or divorce.

Neat provenance too!

From the Collection of Kenneth Hallenbeck; earlier ex United States Rear Admiral Oscar H. Dodson who was stationed on Yap at the end of World War II and brought this piece back with him.

$5,750

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have seen examples here and another forum before - LordMarcovan used to show some pictures of the very large ones. Never saw one at a show though....Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs a slab and sticker. >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 9:47PM

From the 1954 film "His Majesty O'Keefe":

"I wonder what grade PCGS will give this one"

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to admire the hand engraving!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Ken Hallenbeck's other Yap money?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 1:45PM

@CaptHenway said:
    What about Ken Hallenbeck's other Yap money?

I just found out Kagin included Hallenbeck's Yap money in his Feb sale. Although I looked through their catalog, I don't find their site as nice as Stack's for browsing so I didn't see it.

Steve Roach wrote and article on Ken's collection at the link below. Of note, Ken is the founder of the "International Primitive, Odd and Curious Money Club", now renamed the "International Primitive Money Society".

Here's a coin from the Steve's article:

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that the sale that did poorly on the Lesher Dollars?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 2:17PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Was that the sale that did poorly on the Lesher Dollars?

I'd think so since the Roach's article is from Feb 14 and that sale was at the end of Feb.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Zoins,
    I sincerely appreciate this post. I’d never heard of this and my son and I took up researching further and discussing it all day. It’s a wild system that your average person would have a really hard time wrapping their head around.
    It’s quite fascinating about Captain O’Keefe and his story which, as mentioned above, was made into the film, His Majesty O’Keefe, 1954, starring Burt Lancaster. Now we just have to watch it!

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Nice! ..would like the Palau journey story of this piece.
    Their old shell money is beautiful too if can find it.

YCCTidewater.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file