derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2020 5:58PM

another magic money tree believer

grading fee? insured shipping?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine,
    Inexplicably, the goal of the congress people, along with the ilk on wallst (jpm,etc), is not to keep people alive through this crisis, but instead is to move the markets above where they were at the highs. Giving everyone a check every month may just do that with no considerationnto inflation.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

wonder what the spread on those would be?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 6:35AM

@derryb said:
    another magic money tree believer

grading fee? insured shipping?

Will it be worth more if JA slaps on the ole gold bean?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is ridiculous.... similar to the suggestion a few years ago to mint a couple of large gold coins to wipe out the debt... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 6:51AM

Daniel Carr already beat them to the punch. I think that I've got one of his trillion dollar coins.

They are too little & too late to the party - they should probably consider 10 or 100 trillion anyway, the way things are going.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I think she needs more than 2 - trillion dollar coins. Figure better get a current screenshot before all the trillions in new debt starts funneling in next week:

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    This is ridiculous.... similar to the suggestion a few years ago to mint a couple of large gold coins to wipe out the debt... Cheers, RickO

those were plats too.

this is unnecessary idea redux

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

......usually the amount of PMs are greater than the FV....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    I think she needs more than 2 - trillion dollar coins. Figure better get a current screenshot before all the trillions in new debt starts funneling in next week:

"quadrillion" is coming.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this will be another piece of currency that will be legal for only the feds to own. Like the $100,000 bill

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@dcarr said:

@jmski52 said:
    Daniel Carr already beat them to the punch. I think that I've got one of his trillion dollar coins.

They are too little & too late to the party - they should probably consider 10 or 100 trillion anyway, the way things are going.

Nice, I love it! Surprised the FED didn't try to take you out.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

$24+ Go Team!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question.

How has massive international borrowing on an industrial scale, now even MORE intense because of the pandemic, been DEFLATIONARY?

Fossils like me say, "Yeah, but inflation will kick in to pay down all of this stuff someday. You just watch." But that someday has been astoundingly elusive in recent years, and said fossils have increasingly seemed irrelevant and the targets of derision.

Can such profligacy on an international scale in fact been irrelevant, and the inconsequential new normal?

Ravaged minds want to know.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just THOUGHT my minds were ravaged! ;)

Seriously: thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The country will eventually pay all of its debts.

With it's freedom and nationhood.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 "That's about how I understand the problem. I may be wrong. ;) "

You are not wrong and that is a very excellent summary of what is going on.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to say that the above story was meant to illustrate how our Federal Reserve operates.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow:

That’s a colorful and useful example. I believe the conclusion is that in a brewing crisis, the Fed can provide liquidity to avert a crisis with no material long term cost.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2020 8:22AM

The difference between the example and reality is that gov.com just closed the hotel for spreading a virus, and the Fed swooped in with a counterfeit $100 bill to buy the hotel at a deep discount.

Now, everybody's debt is paid off, but the proceeds from all future transactions go to the Fed and the hotel operator is now out of work and out of his principal asset.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

It may eventually come down to a choice between (1) piling on more debt to fund the deficit or (2) issuing "unbacked" money to do the same. Both are potentially inflationary, but option (2) doesn't kick the can down the road by continuing to pass the debt down to future generations.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

One interesting aspect of @thisistheshow 's story is that the debt is extinguished just as efficiently and legitimately if it starts with a counterfeit one hundred -- as long as each person along the chain accepts it as real!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2020 5:49PM

@blitzdude said:

Spending right along. Another 30 days another $trillion+ in the hole.

• Options
    goldrealmoney79goldrealmoney79 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Man they just keep making these green papers they call dollars worthless. Might as well use them like pablo escobar and burn them for warmth >:) . We gunna be like germany soon after WW1. Burn da money burn burn

• Options
    edited April 25, 2020 8:51PM

It may eventually come down to a choice between (1) piling on more debt to fund the deficit or (2) issuing "unbacked" money to do the same. Both are potentially inflationary, but option (2) doesn't kick the can down the road by continuing to pass the debt down to future generations.

Who would use the money in your 2) "unbacked" money scenario? It would start out worthless and get less than worthless even faster.

The only other 2) is to increase taxes, which is what they always do along with pumping inflation via runaway monetary creation (by piling on more debt as you mentioned).

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2020 6:04PM

@blitzdude said:
    @blitzdude said:

Moving right along, thank goodness we finally learned fiscal responsibility, I'm ready for another stimulus check. Semper Fi!

• Options

let's all jump of a bridge like everyone else.

• Options

i think we need more than 2 coins...

• Options
    edited May 7, 2020 6:10PM

@jmski52 said:
    Who would use the money in your 2) "unbacked" money scenario? It would start out worthless and get less than worthless even faster.

If unbacked fiat money is "worthless", then fiat money backed by a bond redeemable only in that same fiat money is also "worthless". How can a promise to pay in a currency that is "worthless" realistically serve as backing for the currency itself?

Although inferior to a gold-based currency, fiat money does in fact have real value. The U.S. dollar’s value derives from the fact that it is the official medium of exchange and unit of account within a large, productive and reasonably stable economy. It does not derive from the fact that $25+ trillion in U.S. government IOU’s are “backing” the nation’s currency.

The Civil War was financed with the aid of "unbacked" money, and "unbacked" U.S. notes circulated for more than a century alongside the rest of our currency with no problems. All of our current coins are "unbacked", yet they circulate every day.

• Options

maybe we could pay all our bills in pennies...

• Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@blitzdude said:

$24+ Go Team!

As the National debt went up, why did the debt per citizen go down?

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options

If unbacked fiat money is "worthless", then fiat money backed by a bond redeemable only in that same fiat money is also "worthless". How can a promise to pay in a currency that is "worthless" realistically serve as backing for the currency itself?

Consider that creating a $trillion in order to go from $23 trillion to $24 trillion (as documented in the debt clock) is a little less than a 4.2% currency devaluation - in one fell swoop - a month or so. Consider that an additional $3 trillion in bailout/stimulus/rescue/recovery/emergency funds are already authorized to spend. Going from $24 trillion to $27 trillion - that's almost another 11% currency devaluation in addition to the 4.2% already.

We're seeing a de facto 15% currency devaluation just in a few weeks. "Worthless" is indeed a relative term. A dollar has lost what - about 97% of it's value since 1913. But, 107 years is a time frame that not many people can use as a personal yardstick for value, so it's not that relevant.

The 15% devaluation in a few weeks is actually more relevant, for more people - especially the ones now out of work and drawing "recovery" funds while looking for a lower paying job.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Didn't really answer my question, "How can a promise to pay in a currency that is "worthless" realistically serve as backing for the currency itself?"

• Options
    edited May 8, 2020 8:45AM

"How can a promise to pay in a currency that is "worthless" realistically serve as backing for the currency itself?"

Jim Sinclair refers to this as "management of perceptions". If the perception remains that the currency has value, the status quo will continue until that knotty issue of math supersedes the illusion that debt as money can be keyboarded indefinitely.

There is a finite point at which people, companies, municipalities and states can't pay the interest on their debt. We are at that point now, and the Fed's "solution" is to create more debt as money from thin air, again and again, in larger and larger increments. Eventually, the math fails and the system collapses. We are at that point now where the time value of money is almost zero, which implies that ALL types of capital are worth less each day.

If rates go negative, there is a finite point at which people won't be willing to put their capital at risk in a bank - which is problematic for the banking system, especially in a fractional reserve paradigm where the banks capitalize on the multiplier effect of lending money that they don't really have. This situation alters human behavior in not such a good way because the whole system relies on people being deeper and deeper in debt - which is untenable when the debt can't be serviced - and we've already reached that point.

If negative rates and universal basic income become a reality, there is a finite point at which there won't be enough food and other goods to satisfy demand because not enough actual production will be taking place because there will be absolutely no incentive to produce or to work, short of forced slavery.

In other words, there will be plenty of paper, but very little to buy at any price. That is the equivalent to having worthless currency. At that point, you can theoretically "back the currency" with more of that same currency, but it doesn't provide any sort of utility.

The short answer is that a worthless currency can't back itself. There - it's a good thing I decided to give you a brief answer. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

each FRN is redeemable in lawful money...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather "pay" seigniorage to the treasury than "borrow" from the Fed.

The difference may be more academic at this point???

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said "I'd rather "pay" seigniorage to the treasury than "borrow" from the Fed. The difference may be more academic at this point???"

Yes, it's an interesting discussion point. Given the current appetite for long term low interest rate bonds, the Treasury really should consider issuing 50 or 100 year bonds...it wouldn't be much different from the $ 1 trillion coin idea.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2020 8:23AM

I think we should mint 25 one trillion dollar coins, pay off the Fed & fire them.

We can then start minting treasury bills for people to use.

What are they going to do about it?....They don't have any tanks. :D

• Options

pssst………….anyone wanna buy some 100 year Greek bonds? (I can get'em for you cheap). B)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

we, the people are dumb.

• Options

as a collective i guess so, but there's plenty of us here who know this recovery funding is debt suicide.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

4 more days another $100B+

• Options

While you were sleeping......yawn

$26T Semper Fi!

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    While you were sleeping......yawn

$26T Semper Fi!

Takes a lot of money to keep propping up your gains in real estate...