Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has Anybody Here Been Tested?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's March 21, 2020. Our planet is under a viral attack. Coronavirus is ramping up. Has anybody here gone for a test? A lot of this coin community is at risk. I've seen the discussion "Who is missing in this forum?" but this could get very serious.

Tagged:

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

No tests available in the commonwealth although we have heard they are on the way.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

My cousin is an ER doctor in RI. He told me yesterday that they only test if somebody is showing strong symptoms and is in an at risk category. Many have been turned away.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only seek a test if you have symptoms...Then, it could be a cold or flu...or you could test positive and require quarantine. Cheers, RickO

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just FYI, at this point, testing positive does not really change medical care that you will receive. It is useful to determine what level of quarantine is appropriate and for tracking the progression of the disease in the population.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Wahoo554 said:
    My cousin is an ER doctor in RI. He told me yesterday that they only test if somebody is showing strong symptoms and is in an at risk category. Many have been turned away.

This makes sense. You don't need to be tested if you don't have any symptoms.

True, but it’s a broader limitation than that. He told me that if somebody in their mid-30’s showed up with clear symptoms but no signs of needing to be hospitalized (eg respiratory distress) they would be turned away.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother had me tested. BBT pun.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    "Anyone who wants a test can get one" has proven to not be true.
    "It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear" has proven to not be true.

I am safe at home and glad I have an internet connection. B)

It was never expected to disappear until the end of flu season. This is still largely expected to occur, at least in the sane way that flu wanes during summer months.

"Anyone who wants a test..." was never true and was never a goal. The goal was "anyone who needs a test..." which is a different thing of course.

@Wahoo554 said:

@PerryHall said:

@Wahoo554 said:

This makes sense. You don't need to be tested if you don't have any symptoms.

True, but it’s a broader limitation than that. He told me that if somebody in their mid-30’s showed up with clear symptoms but no signs of needing to be hospitalized (eg respiratory distress) they would be turned away.

I think this depends on where you are.

Keep in mind that 90% of all tests done have been negative. That means a lot of tests have been done on people who are not in need of hospitalization or possibly even symptomatic.

If you are in NYC, they are certainly not going to waste tests and time on someone with the sniffles.

• heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

My son, who lives with us came into contact with confirmed positive Covid co workers at his job. We were all self quarantined until his test results came back negative. Needless to say, with my forced free time, I added to my silver holdings.😊

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    No tests available in the commonwealth although we have heard they are on the way.

Starting Monday, free testing in the Pittsburgh, Pa. zoo parking lot for anyone who wants it.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@blitzdude said:

Starting Monday, free testing in the Pittsburgh, Pa. zoo parking lot for anyone who wants it.

I'm guessing there will be a really long line waiting to be tested. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the first time in my life, I was paid to stay at home.

I retired at 53, I have taken 4 jobs to keep from being bored, meet new people, keep the brain engaged, and keep Soc Sec active in case something bad (disability) happens.

Income is solid from Dot Com, no worries about cash flow, not taken a dime from any retirement accounts.

Other than that, a lot of volunteer work and my micro mini tiny Mustang parts business that I run from home.

Well, I took a new job on Feb 8th, and Wednesday Night, the word came out to STAY HOME, but we will continue to pay full wages for the next month, and then see what happens after that.

It is a new thing, to be at home, not on "Vacation" or "Leave Day from the Army" or "Sick Day" or "Paid time Off", just stay at home and get paid.

I set a goal each day to tidy up / put away / fix 100 things in the garage, work down the Honey Do list, play with my hobby toys, read, long walks for the dogs, etc.

Strange Times

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@blitzdude said:

And it’s a great place to be exposed.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@PerryHall said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@blitzdude said:

Many test sites are in parking lots and they take the swab sample and your information while you are in your automobile.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

My healthcare provider would not test me. I had "third-hand" exposure (no direct contact) with no symptoms. I did not get sick and it's been 12 days since I was "exposed" to a person who has a co-worker who tested positive for COVID-19.

They would not even test the person who was working with someone who was COVID-19 positive because they had no direct contact either.

My state now recommends staying home and not getting tested if you are sick and think you have COVID-19.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 50 year old sisiter, a cancer survivor had pneumonia 3 weeks ago and was tested and quarantined.

Luckily she came up negative,

If it was positive, she would probably be DEAD by now.

This is deadly serious folks, and so many here just don believe in science. :(

• jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

I'd be a little concerned that those getting tested without all of the symptoms and get negative results will encourage them to be less cautious during this crises. Just because your negative doesn't give you a free pass.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    For the first time in my life, I was paid to stay at home.

I retired at 53, I have taken 4 jobs to keep from being bored, meet new people, keep the brain engaged, and keep Soc Sec active in case something bad (disability) happens.

Income is solid from Dot Com, no worries about cash flow, not taken a dime from any retirement accounts.

Other than that, a lot of volunteer work and my micro mini tiny Mustang parts business that I run from home.

Well, I took a new job on Feb 8th, and Wednesday Night, the word came out to STAY HOME, but we will continue to pay full wages for the next month, and then see what happens after that.

It is a new thing, to be at home, not on "Vacation" or "Leave Day from the Army" or "Sick Day" or "Paid time Off", just stay at home and get paid.

I set a goal each day to tidy up / put away / fix 100 things in the garage, work down the Honey Do list, play with my hobby toys, read, long walks for the dogs, etc.

Strange Times

Man, I got tired just reading about your daily routine!

I WFH and my goal in addition to that is to take a shower every morning and go to the Post Office at noon. I was pretty proud of myself until now.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    My 50 year old sisiter, a cancer survivor had pneumonia 3 weeks ago and was tested and quarantined.

The great thing about science today is what ever your view, you will find someone in science who will support that view and have scientific data to back it up.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    edited March 21, 2020 7:54AM

@dbldie55 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The great thing about science today is what ever your view, you will find someone in science who will support that view and have scientific data to back it up.

Yes, but the flat earthers here think this is a hoax and do not believe in science. They listen to the talking heads and happy talk politicians instead :(

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@blitzdude said:

Nice but the burgh is too far from here. Hopefully they expand things over into gods country.

On a side note, I got vilely ill about 2 weeks ago while on a business trip to Tennessee. My wife contracted it first and she works in direct patient care, primarily with the elderly. We are both finally starting to feel normal again, neither of us have been tested. I just think about all those planes I was on, restaurants I ate out at etc. Sure hope I didn't pass the bug along, it was brutal.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda enpowering to be out and about wearing surgical gloves and a mask. Stay healthy everyone. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no symptoms, so I am not concerned. You should only worry if you have a fever, runny nose, respiratory congestion, etc.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@Walkerfan said:
    I have no symptoms, so I am not concerned. You should only worry if you have a fever, runny nose, respiratory congestion, etc.

Or if your loved one HAS to work on the front lines.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... Figure a thermometer and a runny nose is a good starting tool.

We have been practicing anti social activities for years... haha

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@yspsales said:
    No... Figure a thermometer and a runny nose is a good starting tool.

We have been practicing anti social activities for years... haha

Yesterday, I told my wife she must start taking her temperature twice a day now as she is out helping the public.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the way the world ends.
    Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

This is not the end of the world.

We all need to be smart and THINK about others.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an appointment with my Dr. on Monday. I’ve had a fever, body aches, cough, and runny nose for the past 2 days. I’m drinking plenty of fluids but have no appetite.

edited March 21, 2020 10:39AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    I have an appointment with my Dr. on Monday. I’ve had a fever, body aches, cough, and runny nose for the past 2 days. I’m drinking plenty of fluids but have no appetite.

Take a zinc product like Zicam, NOW!

Have a safe recovery.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:

Strange Times

So does moving a box of nails from the worbench back to the shelf count as 100+ things? :D Time for a beer after that.

Collector, occasional seller

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the current HIPPA Law I would not be able to tell any one for my own privacy laws. Plus in Alaska there are only 9 known cases in the State at this time and the General public would gather and string them up at the nearest tree if they knew who they were. We have our own laws up here. :(

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2020 11:32AM

It's good to see that America can react and respond in an instant to a surprise attack by a powerful rumor with courage and national resolve.
    Our tradition of having clean butts and dried peas should deliver a powerful message to the forces of evil everywhere in the world.
    No one probably had any idea exactly how quickly we could hide in our homes and not leave for 2 weeks.
    Our proud nation can stand tall against tyranny in all its guises!

B)B):s>:)

@BryceM said:

@PerryHall said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@blitzdude said:

Not if there are 12 foot gaps between people in line. ;)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@dbldie55 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Yes, but the flat earthers here think this is a hoax and do not believe in science. They listen to the talking heads and happy talk politicians instead :(

So, you are a scientist? Or is it that you've talked directly to scientists? No??? Then how can that be....oh...you listen to the talking heads that confirm your bias and you listen to the scientists the talking heads choose to prove their thesis and you listen to the negative Nellie politicians because it suits your pre-conception.

Got it!

@BryceM said:
    Again, not to downplay this, but again some perspective. Despite the strong emotions that the disease (and nonstop news coverage) is producing..... Try to think about this rationally. People make better decisions when they think rationally. Actions based primarily on emotion (buying toilet paper, stealing masks) don't really help that much. Even healthcare professionals need to be constantly reminded to focus on the problem, instead of the emotions.

Influenza - between 9,000,000 and 45,000,000 annually in the USA
    Doctor and ER visits for colds, flu, and parasites in the USA annually - 19,600,000
    COVID-19 cases woldwide since November - 290,000
    Confirmed COVID-19 cases in the USA - 22,000

The health system that I work for estimates that only about 1 in 10 people who actually have COVID-19 in the USA have been tested. The true number of infected people in the USA is likely closer to 200,000 (1 in 15,000 people), most of whom will have a mild illness.

Yesterday, more than 2,300 people died in the USA from heart disease. Yesterday COVID-19 killed 32.
    Yesterday, 1,500 people in Italy died from natural causes and 800 died from COVID-19.

The point is this...... As of today, if you have a fever it is FAR more likely to be a regular illness than it is COVID-19. Even in the most heavily hit country on earth, two people are dying from natural causes for one person who dies from COVID-19.

Now, the big worry here is that the growth of this illness will continue on an exponential trajectory, which would completely overwhelm our healthcare system (which already operates near capacity year-round). It might very well become a huge problem, but so far it is best described as a devastating illness for small numbers of people.

Let's hope that our actions aimed at social distancing, limited travel, and quarantine will be effective. If we're lucky, we've acted quickly enough to prevent what Europe is seeing. The numbers are going to look much worse in the USA for a while (real testing is just getting started), and in a couple of weeks we'll have a better understanding of the trajectory of the growth curve. The government probably has a little better handle on this than the news outlets, but probably not so much as you might think.

Bad news - when this is over, something similar will happen again every few years. We have to develop better ways to identify and isolate these sorts of things without melting down our entire economy and way of life.

Good news - the USA is the most innovative, resourceful country in the world. We don't always mobilize quickly (WWI, WWII, a hundred other examples) but when we do, the results are phenomenal. Our ability to respond, treat, immunize, and deal with this in the future will be vastly improved.

Thank you.

And a pretty coin.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I had a little bird.
    Its name was Enza.
    I opened up the window,
    And In Flu Enza."

A childhood chant heard on the playgrounds throughout America during the Influenza of 1918.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@dbldie55 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

So, you are a scientist? Or is it that you've talked directly to scientists? No??? Then how can that be....oh...you listen to the talking heads that confirm your bias and you listen to the scientists the talking heads choose to prove their thesis and you listen to the negative Nellie politicians because it suits your pre-conception.

Got it!

I listen to scientists. I am not one.

I am really into math, figures, charts, and odds. Those do not lie.

Hunker down.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@dbldie55 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Got it!

I listen to scientists. I am not one.

I am really into math, figures, charts, and odds. Those do not lie.

Hunker down.

Everyone on TV that they are parading around is a "scientist". The one they choose to show you is the one who supports their editorial bias.

By the way, if you could find me a happy talking head, I'd appreciate it. I've yet to hear one that didn't make me want to kill myself now to save suffering later.

Dude, a scientist talks about facts not an editorial bias, GEEEZ.

We are not talking about paid for by EXXON quasi scientists who say no human impact on the environment.

The happy talk was 3 weeks ago, two weeks ago, and last week.

"They" seem to get it now.

Be safe.

• Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Just a plain ole no from me. B)

This discussion has been closed.