Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Watching Pogue Auction.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Stacks did a great job with the sale and these coins in particular. Like many other folks, I think I ran off with the best deal of the night Involving Wash. quarters, grabbing the 1932-D quarter in PCGS-MS65+ for only $16,000 hammer! The coin sold 2x at Heritage around 15-20 years ago around the same price I just paid last night in the PCGS MS65 holder. With all the gradeflation over the past 2 decades, I like the coin far better now as a 65+ than even one of the two MS66 coins currently in the PCGS plastic (that I passed on when it was graded 65+ And presented to me for around $35,000) now out there worth about around $75,000.00+ as an MS66.

I buy very few Wash quarters these days, because, just like Pogue, I am quite happy with my beautifully toned “one grade under top pop” coins in my set. So, this is by no means intended to be “bragging”. Just very happy to add a coin to my Set that I missed the chance to buy around 20 years ago at Heritage.

That said- there were some amazing toned coins in Pogue’s Wash quarter set. I loved his 1944-P that traded for 5x what it is worth IF it upgrades to a 67+!! Lol. WHICH IT WILL! A number of beauties like that such as the 1947-P as well. 1948-P and 1952-S I seem to recall really liking as well. Just an overall great collection.

The 1949-D Dime that sold for so much (mentioned above) did so in my opinion because it was a FB coin (although not stated on the holder). The 1943-D nickel sold at a good price as it should likely upgrade to 68 I believe.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Congrats on snagging that 32-D Washie! Just goes to show that expert knowledge of a series and a ton of patience will usually be rewarded eventually.

As to the 49-D Roosie, I think the price was reasonable even in its current holder given the obverse color, (reverse) luster, and the provenance. If it upgrades to FB, the new owner will be way in the black. Based on the TrueView, it looks like the left edge of the lower band is the questionable area. I've never seen the coin in hand.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Coinjunkie. The 49-D 10C will find itself in a 68FB holder some day, one day. When it does, if someone could post a pick of it here, that would be great. And, yes, that winning bidder will do just fine the day that happens.

I got a private message from Allcoinsrule that came to me via email, but not on the pcgs website, so I can not respond. He essentially told me his favorite quarter in the set was the 47-P that I previously mentioned (and that he also loved the 32-D). Congrats on winning that 47-P coin... for what it’s worth, that was my son Justin’s favorite toner in the set as well. It’s not impossible that the coin might 68 one day and be worth multiples of what you paid for it! It should easily 67+, which is what I graded it.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I bought the Mercury dime short set in the Capital plastic holder. Paid crazy money for it, but, yeah, history! I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall in my office. After I straighten out the dimes to sit correctly.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc said:
    I bought the Mercury dime short set in the Capital plastic holder. Paid crazy money for it, but, yeah, history! I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall in my office. After I straighten out the dimes to sit correctly.

I wouldn’t frame it. If you do, the dimes are certain to move as soon as you finish.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I use to collect Washington quarters
    when I was a teenager. The 32 s and 32D were key along with the 36D.
    The excitement and bidding on the Pogue coins was so xciting
    I bid on a couple myself.
    I bid on a 1950 s graded ms 67
    and a 1963 D graded ms 67.
    The 1950S was estimated at 10- $20
    I bid $ 2,000 and it went for $ 2,700
    The 1963 D was estimated at 300 - $500. I bid $ 5,000 and it went for $7,800.
    THere was evidently numerous upgrades throughout this auction .
    and not much concern PCGS is closed and there is a world crisis.
    This is a good thing !

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    I use to collect Washington quarters
    when I was a teenager. The 32 s and 32D were key along with the 36D.
    The excitement and bidding on the Pogue coins was so xciting
    I bid on a couple myself.
    I bid on a 1950 s graded ms 67
    and a 1963 D graded ms 67.
    The 1950S was estimated at 10- $20
    I bid $ 2,000 and it went for $ 2,700
    The 1963 D was estimated at 300 - $500. I bid $ 5,000 and it went for $7,800.
    THere was evidently numerous upgrades throughout this auction .
    and not much concern PCGS is closed and there is a world crisis.
    This is a good thing !

Stewart, I’m confused. I didn’t think Washington Quarters were even in production yet when you were a teenager?

😈

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2022 9:55AM

@wondercoin said:
    The 1943-D nickel sold at a good price as it should likely upgrade to 68 I believe.

You are right Mitch. This silver war nickel is now a top pop MS68FS, less than 1 year later! I wish I bought it!

The only thing is that it doesn't have the Pogue pedigree any more. Luckily we have auction records, but it's not linked to Cert Verification any more.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/44939955

Here's the TrueView when it was a MS67+FS. Looks like the same photos with a different cert number.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file