Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Watching Pogue Auction.

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding has been really strong! At times doubling the estimate or more.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020 5:33PM

One of my favorites was 22x estimate. Another is 6x estimate.

22X Estimate - 1943-D Jefferson Nickel - PCGS MS-67+ FS

I was dreaming when I thought I could get this for the high estimate of $300, or even double or triple.

6X Estimate - 1917-D Standing Liberty Quarter - Type II - PCGS MS-66 CAC

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bid on something, my first ever bid in a coin auction. I was immediately outbid and due to current world events I just don't want to bid any higher to win with everything going on. I was prepared to place a stupid bid a few weeks ago before everything to ensure I won it, but I guess it's gonna get away from me now. :(

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a nice lot. I put in a strong bid, then raised it, raised it again. Then the lot sold for half again my top bid.
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-LYA2H/complete-set-of-circulation-strike-jefferson-nickels-1938-1965-mint-state-uncertified
    18 times auction estimate.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre-sale estimate of under $500......which is obviously suspect......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Can't bid enough!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my hunch is that these aren't coins being bought, the purchased item is the Pogue Provenance. that isn't to say the coins aren't nice, but the steep prices for them is a bit ridiculous unless your intent is to own a piece of History.

JMHO, of course.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pinned my hopes on a single lot, bid strongly, and ended up as the underbidder. Agggggggh!

There. I’m OK now.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 54-S $5 is what I'm VERY CURIOUS ABOUT! And I'm sure we all know why!

• Options

$25 dollar coins going for a grand or 2!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    $25 dollar coins going for a grand or 2!

What are the $25 coins?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

$900+ for a MS67 1964-D quarter.
    Thats a $25 coin no matter what the PCGS price guides say.

• Options

What I'm realizing is that the coin hobby is full of money!

• Options
    edited March 20, 2020 7:27PM

A lot of the Washington quarters. They were very colorful but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of records set.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2020 7:22PM

@keets said:
    my hunch is that these aren't coins being bought, the purchased item is the Pogue Provenance. that isn't to say the coins aren't nice, but the steep prices for them is a bit ridiculous unless your intent is to own a piece of History.

JMHO, of course.

I think there's definitely some of this going on. A while back I purchased a EPN item for less than the original sale price and a Gardner piece I was following also sold for a lot less after.

That being said, a lot of the coins are both high grade and have beautiful colors, which are great combination when combined with the provenance.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    $900+ for a MS67 1964-D quarter.
    Thats a $25 coin no matter what the PCGS price guides say.

I bet you know better than that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Paddle 1384 won for $1.2M

I like "Internet Bidder Look at Me"... "He doesn't look that intimidating" :)

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was an under bidder on the 1917-D quarter posted earlier in this thread. I knew it would go for crazy money, but I decided to go for it anyway. I've never seen a SLQ that pretty. When I got to 10K, I got a message that I couldn't bid any more as I was "over my limit" or similar wording to that effect. I've never experienced this on other auction sites, and it really irritated me. Needless to say, I lost. Now to figure out how to raise this limit.

• Options

@1peter1223 said:

@Zoins said:
    Paddle 1384 won for $1.2M

I like "Internet Bidder Look at Me"... "He doesn't look that intimidating" :)

= 1.44M ( with 20% Buyers Fee Included ) . A lot of money for a circulated/worn coin . Wasn't it once graded XF ?

I wouldn't be surprised. This one stood out as not has eye appealing as his other coins.

• Options

This auction is awesome!

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2200 + vig for a SBA.
    We are living in a weird world.

Just imagine what the sacagewa that @Paradisefound has would fetch in this environment

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    $2200 + vig for a SBA.

Just imagine what the sacagewa that @Paradisefound has would fetch in this environment

I bet quite a few of us wouldn't mind having some of our own coins in that auction with a Pogue label on them. :D

• Options
    edited March 20, 2020 8:06PM

It seems like the less expensive coins are going for multiples of the high estimates and the higher end coins are barely making the low end of the estimates.

• Options

Paddle 7474 has won a few lots in a row now.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2020 8:12PM

@1peter1223 said:
    Let's see what the 1854-S $5 goes for .

$1.92M with BP against an estimate of $1.5M to $2.0M

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snag a Washington Quarter dated with my birth year. Keets is right on, I made this purchase to own a piece of History.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

Some lovely gold selling!

• Options

I like the:

"I have time... Think about it..."

• Options

B> @Zoins said:

@1peter1223 said:

I am surprise at what this coin realized. With the way the other coins were selling, I thought this coin would go out of the roof.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2020 8:31PM

@Currin said:

@Zoins said:

@1peter1223 said:

I am surprise at what this coin realized. With the way the other coins were selling, I thought this coin would go out of the roof.

I've noticed that the expensive coins aren't necessarily exceeding the estimates.

It's the less expensive coins that are exceeding estimates multiple times.

The 1869 DE, 1875-S DE and 1907 HR Wire Edge didn't make the low estimate.

I imagine the low end coins did a lot due to the pedigree (wanting to be a part of history) and toning. I think the pedigree means less on the expensive coins since they are big coins to begin with, even without the Pogue name.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad for whoever bought the XF 1854-S a few years ago. Not very attractive and pricier than the finest known... Have to wonder whether the current economic turmoil had any impact on the outcome of the heavy hitters.

• Options

I like how he says it's "Graded by PC". First time I've heard that nickname for PCGS.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Looks to me to be a toning premium on many of the lots - the provenance only goes so far, as I learned after the Eliasberg auction.

This. The auction estimates are too low. Nice toners are typically going for 2x -3x retail list prices. Killer 'A' toners are upwards of 10x -12x.

High grade gold seems to be doing fine.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I bought a common coin in the Pogue auction tonight, but I was not buying a coin, I was buying a piece of history. It was pay the price or not own a Pogue coin. So I'll put it in my registry set and keep it for good. Keets had it right. This is about numismatic history, not just the coin.

• Options

6 hours and 15 minutes. I worn out by just watching and winning one coin.

• Options

Will somebody please explain to me why this worn type I standing liberty quarter sold for $80?? It doesn’t appear to have any of the 1916 diagnostics and it isn’t even slabbed for purposes of Pogue bragging rights. Unless I’m mistaken about the diagnostics, this looks like a coin you can buy for $5 on eBay:

• Options

I won 2 coins tonight and am quite happy. I will tell you this auction took my mind of things for a good bunch of hours.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was amazed what the rainbow toned Washington quarters sold for.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on one coin: the pretty 49-D Roosie dime in a PC68 holder (Pogue provenance). It hammered for $1200, which was just about what I expected, but slightly more than it was worth to me. Couldn't believe the prices realized on some of the great toners in the sale.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much @KindaNewish anymore ....... your memory serves us well indeed B) mine is in strong hands for many years to come. Mahalo for remembering the beauty

@KindaNewish said:
    $2200 + vig for a SBA.

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the auction turned out to be a decent alternative to watching the NCAA tournament!

I would imagine being a floor bidder and looking over to see John Brush bidding on the same coin would be severely deflating!

• Options

Does the Pogue family still own the 1822 $5? If so, I wonder if there are other items they are still holding as well.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait until they try to sell...

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    Just wait until they try to sell...

Some will do well others may not. I am sure they will enjoy them while they own them. I know I will enjoy mine.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1peter1223 said:

@Wahoo554 said:
    Does the Pogue family still own the 1822 $5? If so, I wonder if there are other items they are still holding as well.

I believe that coin is still in the collection and so is the 1870-S $3 ( Unique ) and the PR68 1804 $1

The 1870-S $3 is still in the Harry Bass Foundation collection. He bought it at the 1982 Eliasberg gold auction:
    hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-4024/
    The other two you mention are the only publicly known ones still retained that I have heard about. Wonder if there is anything more to come.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file