Home Metal Detecting

Downtime

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

During this health issue, we who metal detect should have a lot more free time to pursue the hobby. Think about it....outside, alone, away from crowds or anyone else....exercise and found goodies. Cheers, RickO

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly. And no ground hornets nests yet and no skeetos either. Pandemic be damned! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gov. is closing off the desert and forests to hikers with planes and helicopter spotters. Really?
    I saw a old timer wearing a " I Will Not Comply" T-Shirt.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... they have not done that here in the Catskills...and the Adirondacks are so vast, they will not be able to do it...Cheers, RickO

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried some open woods detecting yesterday. Found an old logger’s Vienna sausage lunch tin. Knew it wouldn’t be a big day

Yup, getting outside and digging is good for our body and mind. There's great relics and goodies waiting to be dug up. Have a good day. Keep that bandana handy should you bump into another human. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@DNADave....Great pictures....Looks just like my mountains and woods... ;) Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody asking what your doing way cool 😎

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a practice football soccer field that I detected twice since this virus started. My wife keeps thinking I'm going to get arrested because we are under lock down. I keep telling her it's ok because it's exercise which is allowed. Her comment is since when is detecting exercise. Count the steps on my phone. :D

@pocketpiececommems you betcha detecting is exercise! Walking, bending, kneeling, digging, although when I see that coin artifact or relic, any discomfort disappears. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

Metal detecting has two rewards....The exercise and the finds....Of course, some finds are more 'rewarding' than others.... ;) Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @DNADave....Great pictures....Looks just like my mountains and woods... ;) Cheers, RickO

Happened by an old house site today, fairly close to my house. I found what I think was a house foundation with a porch and front walkway. One place I’m fairly sure was the outhouse.
    Have you ever done a privy dig?

Definitely going back to this place with a detector.

I have not done a privy dig... have read about them. Some can yield interesting items - bottles for example. Check the foundation...look for where the kitchen may have been, likely with a window. Then look outwards from there for any potential landmarks - large tree or stump, corner of a rock wall, or large rock - those spots were favored for burying valuables - easy to keep an eye on from the house. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Made it back today. Here's what it looks like.

Wow...lots of trash... but that is not uncommon... all has to be removed to find the treasures....Cheers, RickO

edited April 22, 2020 1:09PM

The only real “roundness” was that brass tool check. But I guess any of those zinc jar lids could have been attached to a jar full of silver. Some day.

The treasures are out there.... Our job - find them.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Now if only the weather would cooperate.