Home Precious Metals

What is 90% actually selling for now? Other silver also

AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Given the significant price drop and that de-coupling of paper and physical, what are you seeing silver actually selling?

I’ve seen an online seller trying to get 17x FV for 90% and I think wow. I heard that with all the shows closed, local shops have sold out, but the demand remains high.

What are you seeing?

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

Comments

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that my dealer for the first time ever put his phone number, that he can be reached after hours, on his door when he is closed.
    He was bored out of his mind a couple of months ago and now he is bringing home the bacon.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kitco's silver NY Spot Bid is $12.53.

There's no way any real transactions are taking place at that price. Anywhere.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

I agree that sales are not taking place at the current spot price.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

Pawn shops! That’s where you can get a spot for your metal or just below

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you have the idiots still paying $50 for a silver eagle thats PCGS 70 :D

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

My lcs guy was charging 12x face as of about 10-12 days ago. Not sure now as his shop is closed today. He is 85 years old so I think he's staying at home for now. Not to mention, whatever he has now he probably isn't selling.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing... Kitco (and others) prices tank, and people now buying feverishly at more than pre-drop prices.... :D Cheers, RickO

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Pawn shops! That’s where you can get a spot for your metal or just below

So, you recommend people selling their 90% silver to pawn shops? Melt is under 9x face.

It would be foolish for anyone to sell their physical silver right now. If you feel that is the only resource you have, and need cash, call your LCS and find out what they are offering. I guarantee they have people ready to buy 90% around 12x face if not 13x. For .999 people are paying over $17 an ounce still.

Dealers have no incentive to be open and have to debate with selfish buyers as to spot versus physical.

The physical market determines the physical price. Dealers are not required to sell their inventory regardless of the market

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2020 8:33AM

$18 per oz or more. Otherwise sold out. Edit 13 or 14 x face.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just posted a large lot of 90% at 14x. It seems all the major dealers are at 15.5-16X face value.

It was a Pawn pun, Isaiah.

I am sure glad that I don’t NEED to sell any pm’s. People in that situation will be the ones hurt.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE +9
    Generic silver of all sorts +4
    1oz gold +8-9%
    US90% +8

Also we had to lock our doors. Too many people in the shop. Working buy appointment only with 5 retail staff fully booked.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    ASE +9
    1oz gold +8-9%
    US90% +8

That might be the asking price. I'm not so sure that sales are taking place at those prices.

plenty of stuff you can sell for a premium , you just had to buy right.

You can see clearly that having a mixed stack is a better strategy than focusing on one thing .

I have hundreds of morgan dollars I could probably still sell for $20 each.

I have about 50 circulated 8 reales I could post on ebay and probably get $50 each.

generic rounds and 1 ounce bars probably are the lowest priced things now although if you were dumb enough to have a pile of 1000 ounce bars then I dont want to be you. You bought the 1000 ounce bar for 20 cents an ounce less than a lot of 100 10 ounce bars so you saved 200 bucks up front and now you are staring in to the abyss , which is priceless :D

A
    My canadian and US postage stamps are still selling for the same % of face as a month ago.

MRE's are to the moon alice

With gold I don't plan on selling but I am happier if I do to be able to sell a few 20 francs at a lower melt price than being forced to sell whole ounces ouch. Easier to find buyers for smaller coins in a down market also.

I just put all my 14k wedding bands on my toes just in case I need to sneak over a border somewhere :p ,

@Bayard1908 said:

@Jinx86 said:
    ASE +9
    1oz gold +8-9%
    US90% +8

That might be the asking price. I'm not so sure that sales are taking place at those prices.

Sales are taking place so fast we had to lock the doors and put people in a que.

I would expect one of the big outfits to offer 8x face for junk silver. They are selling for over 15x face now. Better hold and wait this out.

I think apmex is 17.90 ask

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

For auctions with no minimum:

Generic Franklin's are closing online for over $8 if shipping is included. .999 of most kinds $18 to $19 in lots, higher individually. ASEs at least $22 each by the roll, $24+ individually.

I am not tracking Buy It Now.

Any dealers website that lists silver under $17 an ounce does not allow buyers to add any to the cart.

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

We have dealers closing up shop and seems like ALL of them are saying long shipping delays with record numbers reported. Everything drying up. Massive upscale distributor issues from entities like the US Mint and the Canadian mint. Interesting times.

Whats the silver:toilet paper ratio?

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2020 5:27PM

@bronco2078 said:

generic rounds and 1 ounce bars probably are the lowest priced things now although if you were dumb enough to have a pile of 1000 ounce bars then I dont want to be you. You bought the 1000 ounce bar for 20 cents an ounce less than a lot of 100 10 ounce bars so you saved 200 bucks up front and now you are staring in to the abyss , which is priceless :D

Bullionstar of Singapore is selling 1000oz bars at 5 dollars over spot currently...

Whoop, just checked they are sold out as they've had 15 ordered in the last week.

That guy buying at 20¢ over not looking sodumb imo

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:

@bronco2078 said:

Bullionstar of Singapore is selling 1000oz bars at 5 dollars over spot currently...

Whoop, just checked they are sold out as they've had 15 ordered in the last week.

That guy buying at 20¢ over not looking sodumb imo

If someone could afford it and store it safely, 1000 oz bars can be a great buy. Few weeks ago the demand(premium) was higher for 1000 oz bars then it was for 100 oz bars

regular shmoes dont need giant bars

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait a few weeks and buy all the silver you want at cheap prices. Or buy industrial bars 1000 oz, min 5 at a time at spot plus shipping. The bullion dealers are buying them, they're just on backlog but they are buying at spot

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the lcs today, I saw 10 tubes of ASEs sell for 19.5 each.

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

People are losing their ever lovin' minds in eBay auctions. Give it a few weeks when this blows over and people will be dumping them. A lot of buyers new to this game panic bought by a recommendation from a friend of a friend and will want to dump them by summer.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

I believe Kitco will BUY for that.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

and how pissed will sellers of their $20 silver be when they hear the buy price

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    and how pissed will sellers of their $20 silver be when they hear the buy price

I had a few people call me a crook last week. I also had Apmex and JM and other sites up on my computer to show them I was cheaper....and mine was in hand. That helped a few ease up, still others couldnt fathom paying over $1 over spot on 100 oz bars.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our biggest guy in LA is at

Silver ASE buy $16.xx Sell $22.xx

Gold AGE buy $1513. Sell $1613

Generic silver rounds buy $12.xx. Sell $18.xx

RCM 100 oz bars buy at $1261.00 sold out

$1000 face 90% bags buy $10,440. Sold out

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Surprised he has ASE's for sale. We had three pallets of 25,000 each come in Thursday/Friday, all were spoken for. Our shipping department was at it today even, they have never had to work on a Saturday before to fill orders.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2020 8:54PM

@Jinx86 said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Surprised he has ASE's for sale. We had three pallets of 25,000 each come in Thursday/Friday, all were spoken for. Our shipping department was at it today even, they have never had to work on a Saturday before to fill orders.

California Numismatic Investments

https://www.golddealer.com/

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

So it looks like the paper market and physical market are in sync and that the industry is ripe with price gougers.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, Mark. CNI looks like a competitive dealer.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@cohodk said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

So it looks like the paper market and physical market are in sync and that the industry is ripe with price gougers.

I dont believe you can price gouge with metals. Its not a necessity. People selling baby formula and other REAL necessities at huge mark ups are price gougers. Selling gasoline in a crisis for huge markups is price gouging. Metals are commodities with little no to use in the life of average people.

Just my opinion.

Price gouging doesnt only occur for "necessities". It happens with all goods and services at various times.

I believe it is the responsibility of market makers, i.e dealers, to provide and maintain an orderly market. Having a spread of 30-50%, or more, between buy and sell price is not orderly.

@cohodk said:
    Price gouging doesnt only occur for "necessities". It happens with all goods and services at various times.

I believe it is the responsibility of market makers, i.e dealers, to provide and maintain an orderly market. Having a spread of 30-50%, or more, between buy and sell price is not orderly.

the market is at condition paladium right now!!

pray we don't go full rhodium :D

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 7:24AM

Sold almost all of it at 12.5 times face. The huge drop cleaned me out. Actually the $19.50 range is when I dumped most of mine. (Selling back of spot to other dealers). Fast forward a couple months and voila: Despair only brings more to the market . This is 1929 all over again. Re-set. But alas, I agree with cohodk...FMV will forever be fmv

• Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Listing on eBay 2 tubes of ASE for $1785 . Not sure if 2004 ASE low mintage but $44 each seems excessive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORTY-2004-AMERICAN-SILVER-EAGLE-ASE-BU-2-MINT-ROLLS-UNTOUCHED-from-Monster-Box/362715973156?hash=item54738e8624:g:AX8AAOSwnlFagNZZ

MIKE B.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 8:32AM

Take current physical demand/prices, wait two months, then triple it. We just started the first quarter of this superbowl.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

premiums for quality silver are still rising, where you can find them.

@derryb said:
    premiums for quality silver are still rising, where you can find them.

ok but stop trying to convince people that ASE's are quality silver.

the only quality silver is 90% junk

@bronco2078 said:

ok but stop trying to convince people that ASE's are quality silver.

the only quality silver is 90% junk

is 90% silver bringing a 100% premium? ASEs are.

maybe the idiots are the ones selling at these prices. LOL

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

An eBay check shows dozens of ASE rolls selling for $450-ish or $22-23 each over the past 2-3 days.

@Wingsrule said:
    An eBay check shows dozens of ASE rolls selling for $450-ish or $22-23 each over the past 2-3 days.

So how many dozen? 100 dozen? That would be about $500,000. Seems like a pretty cheap way to "con"vince folk that thats the real price.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@Wingsrule said:

So how many dozen? 100 dozen? That would be about $500,000. Seems like a pretty cheap way to "con"vince folk that thats the real price.

I’m just stating facts, which are very easy to check if anyone questions it. ;)

It’s the current price. Whether or not it’s the real price, I’ll let you and derryb duke it out!