Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Civil War Token huge die failures

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 17, 2020 5:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Civil War Tokens are notable in that relatively large numbers have been struck with huge die failures. Sometimes I wonder how the die held together to do so many more strikes.

I recently came across these two 1864 Charles D. Horter tokens with different die states. Apparently after the top happened, they kept on striking these. Both of these are from Steve Tanenbaum's collection with the first also being owned by Q. David Bowers later. They were sold by Steve Hayden at different times and found on his archival site.

Here are two more in earlier, but still failed, die states:

How many of these are known and what happened to this die? Is this a different die than used to strike the many problem free ones?

It seems like it would be neat to build a die state set for these.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how long it took for the makers of such tokens to stop using failing dies? Because these were made by for profit companies I suspect the quality control was dictated by how much the makers thought they could get away with.

The examples shown are quite severe but they are also uncirculated specimens. I have to wonder if they were saved for sale to collectors of that era. Are any circulated examples of that die failure known?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are total population - or surviving - estimates available? Might look for one to add to my Navy collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks the public demand for coins forced quality control onto the back burner. Lots of documented accounts of coinage frenzy so people could make transactions. Did the die sinkers keep ledgers? This was kinda illegal right? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw one of those.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow ... nice progression

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file